Questions from a fan out of the loop

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Questions from a fan out of the loop

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:28 am

Hello, everyone.

After having my interest in Dragon Ball renewed thanks to the Otakon panel (A shoutout to VegettoEX: It was fantastic! It actually addressed some things I was wondering about) I've come to realize that I haven't really played a new Dragon Ball game since Advanced Adventure back four years ago. All the new games look great, but the fan reaction is rather mixed and at the moment I want to spend carefully. If I'm not overstepping my bounds as a new member (I promise to post around! :) ), I'd like some guidance from you veterans to helping me pick the right choice.

-I played the first two Tenkaichi/Sparking games, and while I thought the battle system was interesting, the games felt too unpolished to make a real impression. Does Sparking Meteor fix this and if so, is it import friendly? I was going to buy the English version until I realized they took out Romantic Ageru Yo and you don't just do that.

-I really enjoyed the Budokai series and I remember it fondly (Was just playing 3 the other day!). I understand that Burst Limit was made by the same company, Dimps. Does it live up to Budokai?

-Attack of the Saiyans looks right up my alley, but is Origins also worth the investment? Again, import friendly?

-Was Raging Blast (and for that matter, Infinite World) as bad as some fans made them out to be? I thought it looked appealing myself, but with the sequel around the corner and all...

Thanks, and feel free to close if necessary.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Questions from a fan out of the loop

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 am

Yo! So glad you enjoyed the panel! :D :D :D

I could pop in with a ton of thoughts, but I'll leave the nitty-gritty up to the rest of the forum's member base. To get you started, though, check out the "Reviews" section here on the site -- some of the video games you're asking about have ridiculously long thoughts committed to Internet page-ed-ness to keep you going for a while.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:22 pm

On the Panel: No prob! Hope you guys will be back next year. Also, not to gush, but seeing as how the "Trunks Feature Films" were one of my childhood inspirations it was really cool for me to see Meri in person.

In any case, I've already read the reviews but I appreciate the gesture. I think they're the right size. We reviewers just gotta analyze everything. :)

I was interested in Raging Blast since I recently acquired a 360, but the big flaw is that there are too many quirks with the gameplay? Hmm...I was thinking of waiting for the sequel, anyway, so I'll save my money. As I said, I know Attack of the Saiyans is a lock. I was thinking about Origins since I love the "Kid Goku" portion of the story so much (more then the Z saga, actually), but I'll keep it on the backburner.

I'm particularly curious about Sparking Meteor. From what I've read and watched it appears like a definite improvement from the previous games, of which I was excited for but didn't last long for me in the end. Again, while they were fun, it just seemed to me like they were rushed out to the market (particularly the first one) and didn't have the same amount of depth as the previous 3D fighters. In my opinion, the Budokai series paid a lot more attention to detail and references which is why they were such a big hit with me. Meteor probably won't fix all of this, but I'd still like to try it out. n case you're wondering, I was aiming towards importing the PS2 version since as far as I know, there's not a usuable Freeloader for the Wii (and would probably end up being blocked again, anyway).

Thanks for the help.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:30 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:-I played the first two Tenkaichi/Sparking games, and while I thought the battle system was interesting, the games felt too unpolished to make a real impression. Does Sparking Meteor fix this and if so, is it import friendly? I was going to buy the English version until I realized they took out Romantic Ageru Yo and you don't just do that.
I love BT3/Meteor, but I will attempt to give you honest & unbiased opinions. :) First and foremost, you have to remember that it is an anime based game. I think that it's a step up from Neo, but these games sadly aren't 5 star titles like Kingdom Hearts or Ratchet & Clank. It isn't the most "polished" game out there. That being said, it's a great DBZ simulator. If you love big rosters, this is a terrific choice. After all, what other game lets you play as Appule in a battle against Arale?
-I really enjoyed the Budokai series and I remember it fondly (Was just playing 3 the other day!). I understand that Burst Limit was made by the same company, Dimps. Does it live up to Budokai?

In my opinion, no. The game looks nice, but the drama pieces (cutscenes that play in battle) slow things down too much. It's not a terrible game, but I couldn't really recommend choosing this one if you were only going to buy one game.
-Attack of the Saiyans looks right up my alley, but is Origins also worth the investment? Again, import friendly?

Attack of the Saiyans is great. Origins on the the other hand.... To be honest, I didn't get very far in it. There was a good reason for that, though. It was charming, it made me laugh, I wanted to like it. The game suffered from one major problem, though. It drags the events on like crazy. Simple story moments like fighting the pterodactyl that wanted to gobble up Bulma span multiple levels. You begin to wonder just how many damn pigs you've got to kill (common enemy character btw) before the plot crawls a bit further.
-Was Raging Blast (and for that matter, Infinite World) as bad as some fans made them out to be? I thought it looked appealing myself, but with the sequel around the corner and all...

RB suffered from camera problems. You will lose sight of your character while playing. On two occasions, the horrible camera movement actually gave me fairly bad headaches. It's unfortunate that the developers didn't fix that, because the game could have been so good. The added customization features really expanded the move list for some of the characters. RB also had good what if content. I overall liked the game, but it has enough problems to really hold it back from greatness. As for IW, I believe the term "meh" applies. It's like Budokai 3 with more overall characters (though not all B3 alumni return), a crappy story mose, and slightly worse gameplay. It is the only game that lets you play as GT Vegeta in base and SS forms, though.

Hope this helps. :)

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:Hello, everyone.

After having my interest in Dragon Ball renewed thanks to the Otakon panel (A shoutout to VegettoEX: It was fantastic! It actually addressed some things I was wondering about) I've come to realize that I haven't really played a new Dragon Ball game since Advanced Adventure back four years ago. All the new games look great, but the fan reaction is rather mixed and at the moment I want to spend carefully. If I'm not overstepping my bounds as a new member (I promise to post around! :) ), I'd like some guidance from you veterans to helping me pick the right choice.

-I played the first two Tenkaichi/Sparking games, and while I thought the battle system was interesting, the games felt too unpolished to make a real impression. Does Sparking Meteor fix this and if so, is it import friendly? I was going to buy the English version until I realized they took out Romantic Ageru Yo and you don't just do that.
Sparking Meteor(Tenkaichi 3) is the best Spike made game so far(Sparking-Raging Blast). As far as gameplay is concerned, not much is different compared to the other two. I believe they got rid of the lock on system so that your character automatically focuses on your opponent but that's really the only major change I noticed. The thing that separates this game from the others in the series is that it has the largest character selection out of any Dragonball game thus far; most likely anyone you can think of is playable in that game. Whether or not that is a good thing is your call, I find the game gets a little unbalanced at times. Outside of a massive Character count, you aren't missing much if you own the first two.

As for being import friendly, I can't really say for sure. I know the American version has both language options but I've heard the Japanese game uses the music from the show. Can't swear by it so I'll let someone else take care of that question.
Whether or not Burst Limit lives up to the Budokai games is your call. The combat and controls will be familiar to a fan of the Budokai series but there are some major changes. For starters, you don't power up ki, it fills up automatically. Dimps also did away with the rush attacks that were found in Budokai 3(you know the rock, paper, scissors game you play with the face buttons). There is also something called Drama pieces added now(which you can turn off) that allow for a assistant character to come in and help you out. This could be anything from blocking an attack to psyching you up.

One of the biggest complaints found in the game is the fact that it only goes up to the Cell saga. Think Budokai 1 as far as character selection goes only with Broly and Bardock. Also, compared to the games in the past, Burst Limit is lacking in many different modes of play. There is only a story mode, challenge mode...thing and a Versus mode that includes online play( matches are fun, but only if you can find them).

In my opinion, the game is a lot of fun and by far the greatest looking Dragonball game to date, but due to the lack of content I don't recommend spending more than thirty on the game(which shouldn't be too hard these days). The game is worth checking out so if you can find it cheap, then I recommend you check it out.
AotS is probably the best Dragonball game to come out recently. As far as I know it's the only Dragonball RPG and thought the RPG elements are very basic and traditional, the game is still a lot of fun. Out of all the games so far, I'd recommend this one first. As for being import friendly, the SFX and voice acting are all in Japanese and the Text(as far as I've noticed) is well translated. Really the only major difference is that the American box says "Z" instead of "Kai".

Thanks, and feel free to close if necessary.
As far as Raging Blast goes, yes. The game would be half way decent if it wasn't for the terrible camera controls and glitches(see VegettoEX's review). The game offered more content than Burst Limit(though the story only goes from the Saiyan to Buu saga) but again, all of this is crippled by the fact that the camera is disgustingly bad. If you didn't like Tenkaichi 1 or 2, then you will not like this game. If you want to rent it by all means go ahead, but it's not worth a buy.

As for Infinite Worlds, It does a lot to improve upon Budokai 3. The graphics engine is the same but the story is reworked a bit and the fighting is a lot better. Though it's one of the only game I don't own(I bought Burst Limit instead) the game is well worth the money. There are many users on here that swear by the game and say it's better than Budokai 3, but that's for you to decide. Since I don't own it, I will leave it to the other users to add more detail to what I just said.

In short I will leave the best positive and the worst negative for each game you asked for:

Sparking Meteor:
Pro- Has the most characters and stages out of any Dragonball game making it one of the best games to own as far as content goes.
con- if you don't like the other Sparking games, you won't like this one either, not much has changed outside of character count.

Burst Limit:
Pro- Is one of the best looking Dragonball games out there and if you like the Budokai games the combat is familiar and easy to pick up.
con- Not a lot to offer as far as content goes.

Attack of the Sayians:
Pro- the most original dragonball game to date. Taking a step back from a fighting game is quite refreshing
Con- If you are a big fan of RPGs you won't find anything new here. The combat is turn based and you will find yourself doing a lot of fetch quests and grinding

Raging Blast:
Pro- Offers a lot of different play modes to check out
Con-The camera is terrible and unlocking everything is a chore.

Infinite Worlds:
Pro- The combat is polished and if you like Budokai 3 you will feel right at home
Con- At this point the graphics are dated and the lip syncing is terrible, you can tell it was rushed.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:49 am

To Buy or not to buy?

- Attack of the Saiyans is one of the best DragonBall-related games out there, get it NOW.

- BT3/Sparking! Meteor: It's the most polished of the Spike-developed games (Sparking/Raging Blast series), but the story mode is a lot more truncated than BT2's (which was really long). I'd say for the current prices: BUY if you're a fan of huge rosters.

- Infinite World: I would say NOT BUY, because it's basically Budokai 3.1 ... and it copies some elements from Burst Limit, while removing some elements from Budokai 3. On the plus side, it does have some nice Budokai 1-esque cutscenes, and the difficulty is super challenging for those who want that.

- Burst Limit: Gorgeous graphical style, and the fighting is different enough from the Budokai series to feel like a different game. Some hate the "Drama Pieces" while some don't mind it, becuase they take place during the course of the fight. On the negative side, there are less characters and stages than Budokai 1. For around $20, I'd say BUY.

- Raging Blast: Basically BT1 redone for the new consoles. While it can be fun, there are severe camera problems and some glitches. I would say to just wait for Raging Blast 2, because: 1) improved fighting mechanics, 2), IMPROVED camera, 3) more characters, 4) upgraded graphics, 5) an exclusive anime feature produced specifically for the game.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:13 am

First and foremost, you have to remember that it is an anime based game. I think that it's a step up from Neo, but these games sadly aren't 5 star titles like Kingdom Hearts or Ratchet & Clank. It isn't the most "polished" game out there.
I'm aware of that, but they just felt lacking in production values in comparasion to previous titles..like I dunno, the attacks didn't look up to snuff, the voices felt muffled (or at least the dub voices were), and then there's the whole music scenario for the American games.

I mean, granted, the titles were fun for what they were. I didn't dislike them (them being a "DBZ simulator" is actually what I'm looking for), they just didn't have the same "oomph" Budokai did. For some reason though I'm intensely curious in Meteor, so I'll probably end up playing it.
After all, what other game lets you play as Appule in a battle against Arale?
True. :P
Simple story moments like fighting the pterodactyl that wanted to gobble up Bulma span multiple levels. You begin to wonder just how many damn pigs you've got to kill (common enemy character btw) before the plot crawls a bit further.
Eek! That is a problem. I'll look into that, thank you.
As for being import friendly, I can't really say for sure. I know the American version has both language options but I've heard the Japanese game uses the music from the show. Can't swear by it so I'll let someone else take care of that question.
I've always set them to Japanese, but since I'm interested in importing it, my only concern is how difficult it'd be to get around in the game (as in with menus and such). I have knowledge of Katakana under my belt, but that's about it.
As for being import friendly, the SFX and voice acting are all in Japanese and the Text(as far as I've noticed) is well translated
I was asking about Origins, but thanks for the details. :D
On the negative side, there are less characters and stages than Budokai 1. For around $20, I'd say BUY.
That's...whack. Less stuff, lower price..hrrmmm. At least it has a Japanese option.

Still unsure about IW since I can't imagine a game with that engine surpassing Budokai 3..I'll see if I can get it for a reaalllly low price.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:56 am

I 100% recommend Attack of the Saiyans. It's a fantastic RPG. Origins is mediocre at best.

As far as fighting games that are out now go, I suggest Tenkaichi 3. Don't bother at all with Raging Blast or Burst Limit. They both seem really rushed and unfinished. If you'll hold out for a little while, you should definately get Raging Blast 2 instead. From what we've seen so far, it looks amazing. It also contains a newly animated special.

Oh, and I laughed that you even considered getting Infinite World now.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tenshinhan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenshinhan-san » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:30 am

My quick and biased opinion

Handheld games:

Attack of the Saiyans

One of the best if not the best DB(Z) game ever created out of all genres and systems. period.
If you're a fan of the classic DB(Z) RPG's on the NES and SNES (i.e. Legend of the Super Saiyan) or even just RPG's in general you will absolutely love this game. It was the reason I bought a DS and it delivered what I hoped/expected out of it. It took me about a month to beat it with all characters maxed out and me playing it pretty much on a daily basis. I'm not gonna spoil too much, just trust my judgement and pick it up.

The only minor drawbacks to me were:
- The game "only" covers late Piccolo Jr. to Saiyan Saga. I like games that cover as much ground as possible.
- Characters like Chaozu and Yajirobe aren't playable.
- Characters can't fly.

DragonBall Origins

It has a charming visual style, but clunky stylus controls, a slow pace and the fact that it only covers the story until the 21st World Tournament make that I don't advise you to pick this one up unless it's in the bargain bin or you're a collector.

On to the consoles:

Tenkaichi 3

Is definitely more polished than it's predecessor and if you combine the improved gameplay with the huge character roster it's arguably the best DBZ fighter at the moment. At least it's the best DBZ simulator. The only thing better in Tenkaichi 2 was the story mode. Being able to fly around the planet (much like in Budokai 3) was a very cool addition to that game and I'm puzzled why they took that out completely rather than expanding/tweaking it.

Raging Blast

Tenkaichi 3's successor on the current generation consoles. Sad. It's like Tenkaichi 1 all over again, but with better graphics. The controls, the camera, the reduced character roster... ungh. I've played it for like 5 minutes. That was about all I could stand. I do have high hopes for Raging Blast 2, though.

Burst Limit

Is the successor of the Budokai series (which I thought was great on the PS2) and while being a decent start of the Budokai series on the current gen consoles it just lacks substance. It only covers up until the Cell Saga (which seems to be tradition with a lot of first installments in DBZ videogame series), there are no cool story sequences (as far as I can recall pretty much everything is game-engine) and there's a very small roster. Also, Drama Pieces really slow down the gameplay.

On the plus side it has good controls, characters feel different from each other and the graphics are beautiful.

So yeah, I made it as short as possible, but still a bit much text.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:35 am

Oh, and I laughed that you even considered getting Infinite World now.
Watch it, buddy. :P

Of all the latest 3D games it was probably the one I was least interested in, hence the really low price.
The only thing better in Tenkaichi 2 was the story mode. Being able to fly around the planet (much like in Budokai 3) was a very cool addition to that game and I'm puzzled why they took that out completely rather than expanding/tweaking it.
I heard about the shorter story mode, which I can deal with. From what I remember most Dragon Ball story modes were short in the first place.

So I guess at this point, it's Meteor, Attack of the Saiyans, and Raging Blast 2 for me. Thank you all very much.

Now, to browse around.. :arrow:

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:13 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: So I guess at this point, it's Meteor, Attack of the Saiyans, and Raging Blast 2 for me. Thank you all very much.
Very nice decision.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:00 am

If you're into Street Fighter-esque fighting games with smaller rosters and oldschool combo systems, give Super DBZ a try as well. It's a PS2 game and it should be super cheap nowadays.

Other than that, enjoy Attack of the Saiyans. It's really fun!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:47 am

Infinite World is the best console Dragonball game.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:11 pm

I just picked up Dragonball DS ("Origins"), and I'd say it's pretty decent so far (I've played up to Oolong's house). The controls are a bit iffy, and the first pterodactyl level outlasts it welcome a couple times over, but the game is quite varied, fast-paced and entertaining.
Very import-friendly, too - even if you can't read the text in the tutorial, there are visual clues to guide you, and the levels are all very straight-forward.
Far better than that terrible Wii game, at least.
Eddie wrote: First and foremost, you have to remember that it is an anime based game.
Now now, so was Tatsunoko VS Capcom, and that game is fantastic. "Anime based" doesn't have to mean "bad".
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:30 am

So is it generally agreed upon among the fandom that Budokai 3 is better than Infinite World? I want to pick up one of them (finally, I know) alongside Super DBZ - despite its dub-only voice cast - and I hear absolutely nothing but amazing things about Budokai 3. At the same time, Infinite World is sort of a mystery to me since its release seemed to be mostly glossed over.
Last edited by Char Aznable on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Char Aznable wrote:So is it generally agreed upon among the fandom that Budokai 3 is better than Infinite World? I want to pick up one of them (finally, I know) alongside Super DBZ - despite its dub-only voice cast - and I hear absolutely nothing but amazing things about Budokai 3. At the same time, Infinite World is sort of a mystery to me since its released seemed to be mostly glossed over.
I haven't played Infinite World, but I can tell you that if you get the Greatest Hits version of Budokai 3 (with the different cover, Goku and Vegeta fighting in front of... whatever the hell it's supposed to be, some sort of mystery red substance) you can change the voices to Japanese. To my knowledge, that's the copy you're most likely to find in stores anyway.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:So is it generally agreed upon among the fandom that Budokai 3 is better than Infinite World? I want to pick up one of them (finally, I know) alongside Super DBZ - despite its dub-only voice cast - and I hear absolutely nothing but amazing things about Budokai 3. At the same time, Infinite World is sort of a mystery to me since its released seemed to be mostly glossed over.
I haven't played Infinite World, but I can tell you that if you get the Greatest Hits version of Budokai 3 (with the different cover, Goku and Vegeta fighting in front of... whatever the hell it's supposed to be, some sort of mystery red substance) you can change the voices to Japanese. To my knowledge, that's the copy you're most likely to find in stores anyway.
Yeah, I knew about Greatest Hits Budokai 3, I was referring to Super DBZ. That one never came out in North America with a Japanese voice option to my knowledge.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Correct. The European version has the Japanese cast, though.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Infinite World has a Japanese voice option too.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:23 am

I'm mostly picking up Super DBZ for the game mechanics, I keep hearing that it's an amazing fighting game. Having English-only will just be something I'll have to live with.

So, would the consensus be go for Budokai 3 over Infinite World, then?