Possible release for Ultimate Butouden? (Theory)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Possible release for Ultimate Butouden? (Theory)

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Do you think it's possible they are tweaking the game for a 3DS release overseas?

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Re: Possible release for Ultimate Butouden? (Theory)

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:23 pm

I don't think so, maybe if they are able to release it on the original DS, I think it would still be relevant. We just got Kirby Mass Attack, and a lot of people haven't gone over to the 3DS. Put Dragon Ball Z Kai branding, and they would be set. There is the problem of the developer being shut down, though.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:57 pm

I don't want to have to buy a 3DS to play Ultimate Butouden. :(

Still hoping for an English translation; though if I don't hear anything within the next couple months, I may try to go purchase the Japanese version.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Considering how them Dragon Ball sales have been going lower and lower, I doubt they'd risk throwing money at a 'tweaked' version of Ultimate Butoden for a console which hasn't been financially successful.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I explained why I think a DS localization was so unrealistic:
I'm sure most of the fandom interested in video games are slightly concerned over the nonexistent news of this game coming to North America, or other non-Japanese speaking territories. The fighter by (now closed) Game Republic for DS seemed to offer deeper customization options, and was a tonne of fun to play. Which is why it pains a lot of people to not hear of any potential English version.

I don't think the lack of localization has anything to do with Game Republic closing. They developed the game for Namco Bandai, and thus Namco Bandai owns the code to the game. In fact, Game Republic's very last video game, Knight's Contract, was just published in Japan today by Namco Bandai, despite the studio ceasing to exist for months at this point.

No, I think the problem lies within simple software environments. Publishers from the likes of XSEED, NISA, and even Capcom have all stated that the current DS software market in the US is fairly volatile. It's difficult to get niche games into stores. Which makes it difficult to justify the expenses in ordering ROM Cards from Nintendo. This is partially due to a large increase in competition in retail outlets, making shelf space an often fought after cause. There's so many games, but only a limited amount of space. It's even worse when considering that the DS is now a last generation platform, and stores by either demand of the public, or Nintendo will phase out DS shelf space in favour of 3DS software. Making it even more competitive.

As well, I get the inkling that the Nintendo DS Dragon Ball video games may have never sold well. I don't really have proof for this feeling other than some leaked NPD reports from NeoGAF stating that Attack of the Saiyans debut month was under 20k.
A 3DS re-release is even more unrealistic. We likely would've heard of it by now, since it would've been in development prior to Game Republic (the studio behind Ultimate Butouden) closing. Game Republic's been closed for ages, and none of the branches have spoken about UB since the game was released in Japan.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm pretty sure at this point Ultimate Butouden probably won't be seeing an English release, which really sucks for me because I've never used roms, and I've never been one to import.