"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LordMoonstone

Re: The First PlayStation 4 Game Cometh

Post by LordMoonstone » Fri May 16, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm laughing so hard.

Battle of Z 2 with Dragon Ball Online character creation/time travel adult quests. Each mission is "go back in time to this event and see if you can save the future." There will be no alternate timelines, it's just how to logically have your generic anime dude (pictured right) go through all the key events. Play with up to four players online. Spend $4.99 to unlock character creation packs. Super Saiyan God Bardock DLC tied with new manga/video release.

That cycle is too true. I will fall victim to it every time because every Dragon Ball game is my abusive boyfriend.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Honestly, I'm interested in learning more about the game, but my expectations are pretty low. I haven't been hyped about a DBZ game since forever ago, so hopefully this can bring something exciting to the table. Was really hoping for a 2D DBZ fighting game, but that's likely never going to happen.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 on Fri May 16, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Shin Budokai 2's story mode was awful. If they want more original stories then get someone who can write one. Shin Budokai 2's story mode felt like it was written by a fan in middle school. The story mode feels the developers pay someone one at Fan Fiction.net to write the game for them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Shin Budokai 2's story mode was awful. If they want more original stories then get someone who can write one. Shin Budokai 2's story mode felt like it was written by a fan in middle school. The story mode feels the developers pay someone one at Fan Fiction.net to write the game for them.
It would have been a hell of a lot better if they just didn't need to involve pretty much every playable character in the story somehow. I wonder if that was a stipulation from those in charge, the same way it's not really the developer who has complete control over the roster?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 16, 2014 2:17 pm

I hope it's Spike and not... "ArtInk" or something?

The concept of Battle of Z could have been interesting, but ultimately it lacked depth and content, the "mission mode" is hardly a true story mode, not many cutscenes, not much incentive to keep going... I didn't even buy it when I found even Ultimate Tenkaichi to be very compelling!
But then again, a story mode is kind of everything to me, make it acceptable and I buy the game, otherwise I don't. I didn't buy Raging Blast 2 either for that reason.

We need a solid solo mode.
Tss, when are we gonna get some 50-hours action RPG? There's a full encyclopedia of content for Dragon Ball, more than enough to make a large world to explore with a long and detailed story, lots of landscapes and lots of quests, with the whole thing having impressive graphics!
At least something on a Naruto level would be good and refreshing, with exploration of various places, quests, NPCs, detailed story that last for hours...

You know, if need be to make a super-complete game like never before, do what they do on Naruto games: focus on a specific part of the story with nothing from before a certain point and nothing after a certain point.
Do a super-complete, amazingly detailed game just on the Saiyans/Freezer saga to make us live through it like never before in the entire history of the franchise, then the sequel on the Cell saga, then the sequel on the Boo saga. Each of them having the scope of a Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts or long and complete games like that.

Shinnin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinnin » Fri May 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Cold Skin wrote:You know, if need be to make a super-complete game like never before, do what they do on Naruto games: focus on a specific part of the story with nothing from before a certain point and nothing after a certain point.
Do a super-complete, amazingly detailed game just on the Saiyans/Freezer saga to make us live through it like never before in the entire history of the franchise, then the sequel on the Cell saga, then the sequel on the Boo saga. Each of them having the scope of a Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts or long and complete games like that.
That's a great idea, but most people will complain that it doesn't cover all of Z. I wouldn't mind if they made a GT game that started from Battle of Gods (kinda like how Attack of the Saiyans started with the 23rd World Tournament) and go from there, with a little more common sense and less focus on Goku.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Cold Skin wrote:You know, if need be to make a super-complete game like never before, do what they do on Naruto games: focus on a specific part of the story with nothing from before a certain point and nothing after a certain point.
No thanks. Not even a little bit. I don't want to sit through hours upon hours of the same story that I could read or watch faster than I could play it.

If they were going to put in that kind of effort, they should either completely retool the story (make the Saiyan and Freeza Arcs utilize things like Tullece, Coola, etc.) or put it to use doing something beneficial for the franchise and create a completely new story. Hell, since he doesn't want to draw manga anymore, have Toriyama write up a script and design the new, important characters specifically for the game. Give me something I want to play instead of rehashing the story we've had 50 times now.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Fri May 16, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri May 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Because crearly those are Spike models...WHERE'S THE ZENKAI PORT WE'VE BEEN ALL WAITING FOR!?
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 16, 2014 3:52 pm

I wonder if the fact that it's on the PS3 gen as well will greatly limit the advantages of the PS4 gen. But I guess it's necessary until most people have made the transition.
They will primarly make a game that works on the old gen, then maybe add just a few more effects or FPS here and there.
Perhaps just making it 1080p/60 fps and that's it.

But we'll see, I can't help but hope they actually do something that looks/feels like it's now next-gen Dragon Ball.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Fri May 16, 2014 3:54 pm

They should do what Dragon Ball Online did... Combine the original story with its own story and characters.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 16, 2014 4:06 pm

Looks like another Spike game with improved graphics... pass.

I might buy a copy when it's on the bargain bin.
Do a super-complete, amazingly detailed game just on the Saiyans/Freezer saga to make us live through it like never before in the entire history of the franchise, then the sequel on the Cell saga, then the sequel on the Boo saga.
Budokai 1 did exactly this, except for the Majin Boo arc. I'm surprised people are still asking for a game that focuses on the same story that we've been playing for years.

To be honest, I don't even care about the story much, it's the gameplay that what makes me interested which is why games such as Mario/Sonic are so addictive.
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Fri May 16, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:06 pm

I think we could see the game out January 2015. I guess we are back to DBZ games every year on the main consoles now since it was nice not having one in 2013. I think we always start with Radditz in DBZ games since people seem to like it that way. Budokai 2 and Battle of Z had their own original story modes, and fans didn't like them that much. Reviews for those games felt like the story didn't follow the story of the series that people are used too.
She/Her

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri May 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Kendamu wrote:I refuse to get excited about this title. I've simply skipped over so many as far back as the PS2 generation that I can't trust that this'll really interest me by the time it comes out. I haven't skipped EVERY game, but enough that I should know better by now.
Ryuman wrote:Every time I get excited, when I know I shouldn't....
Amen, I don't feel pressured anymore to waste money on the inevitable shallow gimmicks they've blantantly done nothing more than resort to, nothing from the prior ever gets fixed nothing new is ever added, they dumb down the games each incarnation. If its gameplay is going to be like anything Battle of Z was, forget it. I'm honestly sick of it now. Every year the gameplay gets worse. I havent had any expectations for DBZ games for 4 years through the streak of how terrible they always are by release, it comes down to rushed products and lazy development that only lives up to their standard of sub-par cashing. At the end of the day, every year we get the same, mediocre graphics, stiff, button-mashy gameplay, tiny roster, barely any content, stiff animations.... whats to really expect now that they didnt already owe us. All the stiff we are bound to complain about later are all the things they know we shouldn't even have to ask for yet still have to. I don't want to be a kill-joy but c'mon it looks like just another battle of Z clone. I'm passing this.
johnboy1 wrote:
Nightstar1994 wrote:Can someone explain me what's up with the massive Shin Budokai campaign lately? It's been out for ages and 2014 is the first year I see where everyone hypes it.
Truth be told, the Shin Budokai games aren't that great. They're passable. I just brought the sequel up because its new(ish) storyline makes it extremely notable among the never-ending tide of rehashes.
Shin Budokai's story sucked more than Ultimate Tenkaichi's Hero story. Thats the problem in itself, they give us the classic story until we get sick of it but when they write new stuff it either doesnt make sense, nothing but Saiyan worship, or bastardizations of already done material rehashed from a rehashed fanfic.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Mon May 19, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 16, 2014 4:47 pm

Cold Skin wrote:I wonder if the fact that it's on the PS3 gen as well will greatly limit the advantages of the PS4 gen.
Let them take advantage of the ps3 gen first before askeing for the ps4's
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Shin Budokai's story mode was pretty bad too. I like how they had Fusion Reborn happen after the Buu saga, but so much stuff happens at once that it gets worst. The second game made it's story mode even more crazier and end up being worst. My idea is just give characters their own story mode similar to the Super Sonic Warriors games.
She/Her

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think we could see the game out January 2015. I guess we are back to DBZ games every year on the main consoles
But this time it looks like there are 2 developers (spike/art dink) so each game will have 2 years worth of time put in to them
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri May 16, 2014 4:51 pm

sintzu wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:I wonder if the fact that it's on the PS3 gen as well will greatly limit the advantages of the PS4 gen.
Let them take advantage of the ps3 gen first before askeing for the ps4's
With BoZ's graphics I question if they actually knew they were even on the Ps3. Now I bet with thus game: a Ps4 game seeing it still with Ps2 graphics at best will be so pathetic I'm already groaning in disbelief.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Fri May 16, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 16, 2014 4:55 pm

I got tricked into thinking Namco Bandai was going to include the original Kikuchi score in Battle of Z due to the comments of Nostal Treevax, but screw it, the info he spreads isn't exactly reliable and the chances of having Kikuchi's music in international copies is low so this is another con against this game already.

I already feel like Trunks:

FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Quebaz wrote:Because crearly those are Spike models...WHERE'S THE ZENKAI PORT WE'VE BEEN ALL WAITING FOR!?
I've been saying it would make a great 20 dollar PSN title.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri May 16, 2014 5:07 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I got tricked into thinking Namco Bandai was going to include the original Kikuchi score in Battle of Z due to the comments of Nostal Treevax, but screw it, the info he spreads isn't exactly reliable and the chances of having Kikuchi's music in international copies is low so this is another con against this game already.
Yet - they actually were that lazy they had to reuse Raging Blast 1's music for their acclaimed "new" game.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Fri May 16, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.