What Are Your Top 3 Favorite Dragon Ball Games Of All Time?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PhoenixEX
Regular

What Are Your Top 3 Favorite Dragon Ball Games Of All Time?

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:57 pm

Out of every DB/Z/GT/KAI video game made, what are your top 3 favorites?
For me, it's:
1. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 - I loved the large amounts of characters. I know that many of them played the same, but just having the option of being able to play with that many characters made the game a great experience for me. Of course, it wasn't the characters alone that made this my number one because, for example, if this game had the Ultimate Tenkaichi engine, I would have disliked it.
2. Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 - Great HD graphics, plenty of characters, and being able to play with Tarble and SSJ3 Vegeta easily makes this a great game overall.
3. Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warrior 2 - My first handheld DBZ game that I loved playing on the go (I tried The Legacy of Goku but could never get into it; kept going back to Pokemon FireRed).

How about you?
One World. 🌐 🕊

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What Are Your Top 3 Favorite Dragon Ball Games Of All Ti

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:07 pm

Back in 2008, I shared my top five games on Episode #0151 of our podcast. Here was my list at the time (and I'm sure I elaborated a bit more during the show):

#5: The Legacy of Goku II
#4: Super Butōden 2
#3: The Great Dragon Ball Legend ("Legends")
#2: Super Dragon Ball Z
#1: DBZ / Budokai 3

Depending on the day and my mood - then and now - you could probably switch my top one and two, and probably three and four.

There have obviously been a toooooooon more games since 2008, but I'm not entirely sure anything new would make the list. Attack of the Saiyans (DS) is probably the closest, but I'd have to replay both it and LoG2 to see how I feel; the DS one might take the spot!

For me it's all about great game design followed by great presentation with a healthy dose of franchise respect all wrapped up in excellent replayability. I think all five of the above games offer that in spades.

Super Dragon Ball Z and Budokai 3 show such a deep understanding of what makes Dragon Ball so great and are crafted with the most amazing love. I can't help but love them right back!

EDIT: Ack! Ultimate Butōden...! Yeah, THAT would probably slip into the top five...! So if you asked me right this very second, I might say:

#3: Ultimate Butōden
#2: DBZ / Budokai 3
#1: Super Dragon Ball Z
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Mike's list is similar to mine. I'm gonna do it by genre.

Fighting games:
1. Budokai 3.
2. Super Dragon Ball Z.
3. Ultimate Butouden.

Action/RPG:
1. The Legacy of Goku II.
2. Attack of the Saiyans.
3. Dragon Ball Origins.

Games people tend to hate:
1. UB22.
2. Sagas.
3. Battle of Z.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:18 pm

1. Tenkaichi 2. Perfect game to me. The only game to capture DB's fighting style and atmosphere. Budokai 2 also. Because fun story and what if.

2. Budokai 3. For fighting alone. Not so much on Dbz atmosphere

3. DB Sagas
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:40 pm

1. Budokai 3
2. Tenkaichi 3
3. Legacy of Goku 2

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:29 pm

3. DB KAI Ultimate Butouden- THIS GAME! IT HAS EVERYTHING! A ton a replay value thanks to its GIGANTIC story mode, the (actually challenging) challenge mode, you always have something to do, be it S-ranking everything to get all the costumes or just enjoiyng those modes. It's graphic style is pretty cool for the DS, it has an amazing roster for its system and I don't know, gameplay wise It's so simple, BUT IT'S SO FUN!

2. DBZ Budokai 3- I don't know, it might be Dragon Universe with its Replay Value, It might be the nostalgia, it might be it's way more polished gameplay compared ti its prequels, or the awesome music, but something about this game still holds it up so well to this day and age It's amazing.

1. Super DBZ- This is an obvious choice, It's a deep classic fighting game with DBZ characters, something that many fans want to make a comeback in one way or another. It has an excellent art-style for its era (some models are better than their Budokai counterparts) with some cool battle tunes to enjoy. However if you don't have someone to play it with you, It kinda loses some of its replay value thanks to being a arcade port. However, the awesome gameplay and fanservice make up for it.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:12 pm

Dragon Ball
Advanced Adventure (GBA)
Origins 1 & 2 (NDS)
Revenge of Piccolo Daimao (Wii)

Dragon Ball Z
Budokai 3 (PS2)
Burst Limit (360)
Infinite World (PS2)

Dragon Ball GT

Can't wait for the arrival of Dimps' Dragon Ball: Xenoverse! Every Dimps Dragon Ball game is welcomed! ^_^
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Infinite World
Burst Limit
Super Dragon Ball Z
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

CM101Play
Beyond Newbie

Post by CM101Play » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:05 pm

1. BT3
2. Infinite World
3. Buu's Fury

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:32 pm

1. Sparking! Meteor
2. Advanced Adventure
3. Ultimate Butoden

All of these followed very closely by the honorable mentions of

Infinite World
Supersonic Warriors 1
Super Dragon Ball Z
Attack of the Saiyans
Zenkai Battle Royal
Budokai 3
Last edited by Rukura on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:36 pm

In no particular order:

Buyū Retsuden
Budokai 3
Burst Limit

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:38 pm

1. Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! METEOR
  2. Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World - Super Dragon Ball Z
  3. Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Colonel Silver » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:50 pm

1. Raging Blast 2 - The most solid and streamlined DBZ simulator to date in my opinion. My go to DBZ game.
2. Infinite World - This game did a lot of things right, I feel as if this game gets ignored a bit. Decent gameplay, a lot of unique movesets, and just full of content. My favorite DBZ game on the PS2.
3. Attack of the Sayians - One of my favorite RPGs on the DS. This game came out of nowhere and I was really surprised at how good it was. Loved the battle sprites.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:17 pm

There is an extremely depressing lack of Legendary Super Warriors here. :(

Obviously, that is my favorite. Followed by Legacy of Goku II, and then Budokai Tenkaichi 3. No, I don't care about the "shallow" gameplay. If I want a good competitive fighter, I've got Tekken and Smash Bros. When I play a Dragon Ball game, I want it to feel like Dragon Ball, and Tenkaichi 3 does that better than any of the other fighting games out there.

Legacy of Goku II was just fantastic. Sadly, Buu's Fury was a buggy mess, and you couldn't pinball enemies anymore. Still, it would probably be fourth for me.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:20 pm

3. Super Dragon Ball Z

Perhaps the most underrated Dragon Ball game yet. It was arguably the closest DBZ ever gotten to being a "real" fighter. Though the gameplay design is basically a mesh of Street Fighter and Power Stone (which can be seen as a negative or positive), I like about it is how it actually takes the time to make sure each and every character has their own unique style of gameplay and the fact you can heavily customize them makes it even better, and the graphics are also pretty neat in the fact that it draws more influence from the manga than from the anime unlike most Dragon Ball games. The only major drawback is the general lack of content. The characters may have their signature moves but they aren't nearly cinematic or give that DBZ-feel like they do in the Budokais and the rooster size doesn't even compare to the Tenkaichis. There are only 18 characters available (13 for the arcade version). And there's also only 2 two singular player modes, which are Original (you fight 7 different fighters like in the arcade version for Dragonballs) and Z-Survivor (fight 9 different fighters while getting bonus and a chance to fight a secret character for more bonuses) that get old rather quick.

Oh, and the audio quality is poor.

2. Budokai Tenkaichi 2/ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (the reason I rank them the same is because BT3 is basically BT2 with more useless characters along with an annoying real-time system in the World Tournament mode, and an even shittier story mode.

Though Spike's games had been mediocre ever seen they made the transition to the seventh-gen consoles (the Kinect game is just awful), I really liked the overall idea behind them and the first three games do the job just right. Tenkaichi 2/3 in particular stand out as they greatly improve over the first game in terms of gameplay and aesthetics. The gameplay was like the closest we'd ever get to the true DBZ experience, the moves were all flashy and nice to look at with all the fanservice they went out of their way to add, and on top of that there was so much to do ranging from the finding all the super secret material to facing the numerous challenges in the Ultimate Battle (Z) mode. I devoted so much time in getting everything especially with BT2 (I actually did at one time but the memory card that had the data is dead). They still had a couple flaws which keeps them from being #1. A lot of characters still play identical to each other, the combo system is still a little too simple , a lot of the animation is still stiff and robotic (as well as being very limited) especially compared to the Budokais (which have great animation), and the storytelling in the story modes is rather flawed especially in BT3.

1. Budokai 3

A cliched pick but if you were to ask me, my brothers, and just about everyone I've known that were into DBZ what their favorite DBZ game was they'd say Budokai 3. It was the one that did (almost) everything right. It improve over the fighting system from the first two enough to make not just a good DBZ game but a good fighter (one of the best available for the PS2) period. No longer do battles boil down to who can mash buttons faster. It actually takes skill and strategy to win, and it just flows better. I also loved the story mode (Dragon Universe) as you can take control of one given character to play throughout the story along with increasing your states and finding hidden material (be it alternate story scenarios, secret battles or capsules you won't find anywhere else) which really added to the replay value though the storytelling, despite still being good (it does fumbles a bit on the details involving non-canon material, however), isn't as great as the first Budokai's. And if you wanna fight with your custom-states character freely then there's Dragon Arena (unlockable) where you can build characters that aren't even available to play as in Dragon Universe. The only bits I really disliked are how the Item Shop menu doesn't have everything available to you initially and the lack of re-tracking in Dragon Universe (miss something? Too bad, shut up or restart everything). Oh and how Hyper Mode renders ultimate attacks almost entirely useless. Other than that, Other than that it was the pinnacle of DBZ gaming for me, setting a bench that no other is yet to surpass. Great graphics, lots of content, fun gameplay, etc. everything.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:04 am

1. Dragon Ball Online
2. Legendary Super Warriors
3. DBZ Legends

Those are the games I flat out had the most fun with. Legendary super warriors was a ridiculously fun game with a sick battle system and excellent replay value.

Legends was a very simplistic game, but really did capture the DB experience; that game was crazy. Battle of Z is a lot like legends, the problem with them being so similar is that
Legends came out 17 years ago. (It would have been nice if BOZ let you toggle between the characters on your team like Legends did.) For the few of you on here who had a chance to Play legends, you know how fun that game was. My roommates back in the day just loved watching me play the game.

And of course, DBO. Since I played my first MMO, which was City of Heroes, I've wanted a MMO based in the Dragon Ball Universe. Despite it's flaws, DBO gave me that along with an extensive story that went well beyond the events of Z.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 am

1- Sparking Meteor
2- Kai Ultimate Butoden
3- Z Hyper Dimension

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:16 am

5. Buu's Fury
4. Budokai 1
3. Budokai 2
2. Infinite World
1. Budokai 3

Although it does change regularly for me B3 is always my favourite.