Surprise, surprise. Shin Budokai sucks.

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:45 pm

Good analysis.

I agree with you point of view, the simple gameplay tied with capsules and levelling up make something incredible addicting!

Never saw anyone post such a good analysis in few words!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:31 pm

Can you still play against people wirelessly?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:27 am

Big Momma wrote:Can you still play against people wirelessly?
You can! It's very fun, although for some reason my buddy and I have been suffering from some serious lag during fights from time to time...

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:44 pm

Thank You!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:44 am

Perhaps I never really "dig" when playing fighting games to see how "deep" they really are, but... I don't know why people call Virtua Fighter 4 Evo much deeper than Budokai 3. I own both games, and if I played VF4 for one hour, I've played B3 for a thousand.

The fighters in B3 have tons of combos, Punch, Punch, Kick results in a different combo than Punch, Punch, Kick AND forward. Back + Punch is different than just Punch. So, just because you see the manual of VF4 have 60 moves for each character, doesn't mean that the B3 fighters don't have as many.

I think this whole "The Budokai series aren't deep" is a bit of a propaganda. I remember reading IGN's review of Budokai 2 saying something like "Now fighters can cancel the opponent's attack by using a powered up punch that gathers energy for 1 second, then blows away the opponent. This is something the previous game never included" He was referring to the strong energy punch each character has (the one that causes a burst mode when both hit each other with it). And I said to myself: "What the Hell? Budokai 1 had strong energy punches as well. This isn't a new feature!"

It then became painfully obvious, that IGN barely played Budokai 1 for more than one Vs match. And in that match they probably picked up Goku against Piccolo, used the P, P, P, P, O combo "classic", and then said "The game isn't deep!" How the living heck can you call a game deep or not deep when you barely play it?

And just because it's more difficult to pull off combos doesn't make VF4 any deeper. It's just more difficult to MASTER. If a character has 30 combos in VF4 and 30 in B3, both games are rich in variety as far as fighting goes. The only difference is that Budokai (like Bloody Roar) has 2-3 simple combos that are easy for the beginner to pick up, thus, used more often. People confuse this with "simple gameplay".

That's what I think anyway.

Oh, and as for Shin Budokai... well, I'm glad I didn't get it. It is too similar with B3 to be worth a PSP purchase. I think I'll just wait for the DBZ PS3 games, and Chou DBZ for the PS2.
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:40 pm

ngnikolaos wrote:Perhaps I never really "dig" when playing fighting games to see how "deep" they really are, but... I don't know why people call Virtua Fighter 4 Evo much deeper than Budokai 3. I own both games, and if I played VF4 for one hour, I've played B3 for a thousand.

The fighters in B3 have tons of combos, Punch, Punch, Kick results in a different combo than Punch, Punch, Kick AND forward. Back + Punch is different than just Punch. So, just because you see the manual of VF4 have 60 moves for each character, doesn't mean that the B3 fighters don't have as many.

I think this whole "The Budokai series aren't deep" is a bit of a propaganda. I remember reading IGN's review of Budokai 2 saying something like "Now fighters can cancel the opponent's attack by using a powered up punch that gathers energy for 1 second, then blows away the opponent. This is something the previous game never included" He was referring to the strong energy punch each character has (the one that causes a burst mode when both hit each other with it). And I said to myself: "What the Hell? Budokai 1 had strong energy punches as well. This isn't a new feature!"

It then became painfully obvious, that IGN barely played Budokai 1 for more than one Vs match. And in that match they probably picked up Goku against Piccolo, used the P, P, P, P, O combo "classic", and then said "The game isn't deep!" How the living heck can you call a game deep or not deep when you barely play it?

And just because it's more difficult to pull off combos doesn't make VF4 any deeper. It's just more difficult to MASTER. If a character has 30 combos in VF4 and 30 in B3, both games are rich in variety as far as fighting goes. The only difference is that Budokai (like Bloody Roar) has 2-3 simple combos that are easy for the beginner to pick up, thus, used more often. People confuse this with "simple gameplay".

That's what I think anyway.

Oh, and as for Shin Budokai... well, I'm glad I didn't get it. It is too similar with B3 to be worth a PSP purchase. I think I'll just wait for the DBZ PS3 games, and Chou DBZ for the PS2.
It's not necessarily the difficulty of the combos that constitutes the depth of a game, but rather the character balance, the variety of attack properties, the variety of play styles for multiple characters, the amount of options given to the player in any given situation, etc. that account for the level of depth (or lack thereof) of a game. That's not to say that B3 is not a deep fighter, but does not have the character balance or attack variety of other fighters on the market. In my opinion, Budokai desparately needs a differentiation between high, low, and overhead attacks (something which it seems Super DBZ does have, yet more points in its favor).

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:26 am

If it was how difficult it was to pull off a combo that constituted the depth of a game then Final Bout would be pretty deep in comparison to any Budokai game.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Ninja Poe Bear

Post by Ninja Poe Bear » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:37 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:And what of the poor translation? Because it's a portable game, that's OK too? Come on man, that's fanboy talk. You know it, and I know it. They half-assed this game in every way.
And what about Budokai 3? They did the same thing, and kept the same translations in the Greatest Hits version. -_-;;

So pretty much that should be expected, unless they do say "Namekain," "Chichi," "Chi chi," "Chi-Chi," "Chi Chi," and "Master-Roshi"... among a large number of other kinds of typographical errors... in one game/setting. :P
[b][coming soon.][/b]

Post by 707 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:06 am

I already have a PSP, and I work at Target (and get a discount) so I picked up the game.

Its fun, and I like it. The story was written like a terrible fan-fiction, but it was still entertaining.

I still have to grab the Collector's Edition of Budokai 3.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:07 am

Haven't even played the thing (don't own a PSP), but I read the script over at GameFAQs.

Sounds hilarious. Fix up the misspellings and you have a story that outclasses some of the actual movies.

Some of the highlights:

*Yamcha and Tenshinhan trying to hold off Broli
*Mirai Trunks meeting his alternate self and Goten
*The two Gohans and Videl

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:49 am

Please, please, please pretty please with sugar on top, write (or type) the dialogue between Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Brolly. Or at least, tell me how it goes. I'm a huge fan of the Earthling trio (Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Yamcha), and I like any chance at them going after the main villain (Cell's dream in Budokai 1 is priceless).
It's not necessarily the difficulty of the combos that constitutes the depth of a game, but rather the character balance, the variety of attack properties, the variety of play styles for multiple characters, the amount of options given to the player in any given situation, etc. that account for the level of depth (or lack thereof) of a game. That's not to say that B3 is not a deep fighter, but does not have the character balance or attack variety of other fighters on the market. In my opinion, Budokai desparately needs a differentiation between high, low, and overhead attacks (something which it seems Super DBZ does have, yet more points in its favor).
Thanks! Now I know why they call it simple. Thanks for the clarification.
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:21 pm

Here you go, cut and pasted from various cutscenes...
Broly: GAAAAAH!
Gohan: I can't finish him off?! Even at Super Saiyan 2?! Looks like I have
to go all out!
Supreme Kai: Gohan, don't!
Gohan: But...!
Leave it to us!
Gohan: Who's there?
Tien: Sorry to keep you waiting Gohan!
Gohan: Tien!
Yamcha: I'm here too!
Gohan: And Yamcha!
Yamcha: Leave the rest to us!
Gohan: Are you really gonna be okay?!
Tien: Gohan, there's more to winning than knocking your opponent down! Is
the opponent so strong you're too scared?
Yamcha: Or if it's too much trouble to fight, you can get out of here! Or
you can argue with him and no one gets hurt!
Tien: Go on, Gohan!
Gohan: Sorry about this! Thanks for your help!
Supreme Kai: B-Be careful!
Tien: Alright! Let's do this!
Yamcha: Right! It's been a while since I had a real fight!
Tien: Are you shaking?
Yamcha: F-for a true warrior...
Tien: Nothing's impossible?
Yamcha: Honestly, he seems so strong, I don't know if I want to fight...
Tien: I'm starting to agree...
Broly: Gr... Grr... GRAAAAAH!
Yamcha: Um... I think he's getting mad...
Tien: Y-Yeah...
Broly: RAAAAAAH!
Tien: An energy barrage?! Even one would finish us off!
Yamcha: We have to split up and be careful or we're finished!
Broly: RAAAH!
Tien: Come on, try and catch us, Tiny! Think you can hit us?
Broly: KILL!
Tien: W-We're alive...
Yamcha: Yeah... If it's alive or dead, then 'm gonna go with alive...
Tien: But at this rate we can't win this.
Yamcha: Man, I wanna take a break...
Broly: RAAAH!
Tien: He hasn't forgotten about us. We're in a bad way.
Yamcha: Wait, Tien! What about SOLAR FLARE?
Tien: We can barely run. We'd have to get close for that!
Yamcha: So I'll figure something out!
Tien: Like what?!
Yamcha: I know! A guided energy blast!
Broly: Hmph!
Yamcha: Woah! Looks like I'm gonna get the chance.
Tien: Not bad, Yamcha... When did you learn that?!
Yamcha: Never mind! Hurry up!
Tien: S-Sorry! Urgh... This is still pretty rough on me...
Broly: INSECT!
Tien: Now! SOLAR FLARE!
Broly: Gwah!
Yamcha: Alright! Let's get out of here!
Tien: Woah!
Broly: GAAAAAH!
Yamcha: Did we lose him?
Tien: ... N-No good. He's still following us! Damn it! And it just made us that
much more exhausted!
Yamcha: This is a fool's errand!
Vegeta: You two, get back!
Yamcha: Huh?
Tien: Yamcha! Look out!
Vegeta: FINAL...
Yamcha: WOAH! That's dangerous!
Vegeta: FLASH!!!
Tien: D-Did it work?
Yamcha: Vegeta! We got dragged into things again!
Vegeta: Hmph! Why should I care?
Yamcha: Vegeta!
Vegeta: If you're healthy enough to complain, get out of here while you can!
Tien: You mean Broly still hasn't been defeated?!
Yamcha: W-We'll leave it to you, Vegeta. Thanks.
Vegeta: Shut up! This fight could endanger the entire area?
Broly: Nrr... Vegeta...
Vegeta: So you're back too, the legendary Super Saiyan! But you're just another
fighter! You think I care about your
legend?!
As the prince, nay the KING of Saiyans I will bury you!
Broly: Hmm...So you're HIS son...

Vegeta: I'll erase you from the cosmos!!! ...*pant* *pant* He's gone... I can't
sense him either. Did I get him? No, that's not it! The evil energy is taking
on physical form! And it'll make him come back again... This isn't good!
Janemba will be back soon! Big Bang... ATTACK!

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:43 pm

Thanks a lot. Dammit, why is Yamcha portrayed as a coward? Back in DB he would never retreat, nor surrender. Now, he's the comic relief (after Kuririn)? oh well.

Zodiac Brave

Post by Zodiac Brave » Sun May 21, 2006 11:59 am

So does Shin Budokai REALLY suck, or is it just that it's too much of a clone of Budokai 3? Because I'm looking to get a new DBZ game, and since I don't have Budokai 3 I'm wondering if Shin Budokai is worth it in its stead. Should I get SB, or is B3 really just that much better?

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu May 25, 2006 12:58 pm

If it's any consolation, Shin Budokai has been getting rather good reviews in magazines. So if you actually care about their opinions, there you go.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu May 25, 2006 1:59 pm

I actually got the opportunity to play Shin Budokai last weekend on a friend's PsP. I must say, I had more fun in this game than Sparking! The story mode was SO much fun, it was like going through a new DBZ movie that reversions Janemba's movie. Also, the cursing ... my God, the most in any officially translated DBZ game I know of. Budokai 2 allowed Dabura to say "You bastard", Budokai 3 did the same and added a couple "damns" in the voice archives, and Sparking! even had a couple "Hells" in the story mode. But Shin Budokai ... DEAR LORD! There's "ass, hell, 'my God', damn" back and fourth. It was like I was reading one of the Viz graphic novels for the Namek saga.

The game-play was pretty fun as well, it was almost like playing like in Budokai 3, however the death moves have much better looking and sounding impacts. The powering-up and "super death move" aspects seem to have been taken from Sparking! in terms of their styles. Also, despite the short range of fighters, it was all still pretty damn fun playing, though I'd have preferred it if the in-game transformations weren’t a cross between the Budokai games and Sparking!

All in all, a very awesome game. The original story mode was definitely the highlight for me, while I beat it within a few hours; I still had a butt load of fun. Secret to enjoying this game, try not comparing it to Budokai 3. Budokai 3 was made for the Ps2 console, had likely more time done in its production, and even had an upgraded version release. Shin Budokai is a PsP game, considering we're not comparing GBA games or the DS release to the Ps2 games, I don't think it's fair we should say Shin Budokai sucks just because it doesn't measure up to Budokai 3. Now Sparking! on the other hand, that's another story.
14 years later

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Thu May 25, 2006 3:10 pm

Well, if Conan says so... I'll consider buying this game, without scepticism. But first, I'm gonna have to get a PSP. Yup, that's going to be a problem. A real problem. :x

Okay, maybe I won't get it. :(
Conan the barbarian :wink: wrote:Budokai 2 allowed Dabura to say "You bastard", Budokai 3 did the same and added a couple "damns" in the voice archives, and Sparking! even had a couple "Hells" in the story mode. But Shin Budokai ... DEAR LORD! There's "ass, hell, 'my God', damn" back and fourth. It was like I was reading one of the Viz graphic novels for the Namek saga.
Do any of the characters say... Err... "Wanker" in it? :lol:
Conan the SSJ wrote:The game-play was pretty fun as well, it was almost like playing like in Budokai 3, however the death moves have much better looking and sounding impacts. The powering-up and "super death move" aspects seem to have been taken from Sparking! in terms of their styles.
You mean, a real-time Death Ball (for example)? So, are you able to teleport out of the way of that? :? Also, what are your opinions on the "Teleportation Tornado Combo"?
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu May 25, 2006 6:45 pm

Steven Perry wrote:Well, if Conan says so... I'll consider buying this game, without scepticism. But first, I'm gonna have to get a PSP. Yup, that's going to be a problem. A real problem. :x
Well, don't buy a PsP just for this one game. It's a great game, but overall, not worth buying a PsP. While the story mode is extremely fun and entertaining, I doubt you'll wanna play the story mode all over again due to its length. But hey, it's your call.
Steven Perry wrote: Do any of the characters say... Err... "Wanker" in it? :lol:
Not that I know of, however in Sparking!, Bardock tells Dodoria to stop jerking him around. Though I'm 99.89% sure it wasn't intended in "that" context.
Steven Perry wrote:You mean, a real-time Death Ball (for example)? So, are you able to teleport out of the way of that? :? Also, what are your opinions on the "Teleportation Tornado Combo"?
I guess you could call it a real-time death ball, as there aren't any dramatic cut-scene angles for the "super death moves". They're basically what you'd see in Sparking!, which is rather odd considering SPIKE handled Sparking! and Dimps gave us Shin Budokai. Just to let you know though, the "super death moves" are much better looking than the bland jobs Sparking! does. *Look at me, comparing this game to Sparking! :shock: *

Anyhow, except for the "super death moves" and differences in powering up, the game is almost exactly like Budokai 3 in terms of game-play. The teleporting is just as swift as on Budokai 3, though it's a bit harder to pull off for some reason (those darned small PsP buttons). Personally, I love the teleportation tornado combo system. It was a very welcome addition with the dodging aspect in Budokai 3, and it looks just as slick in Shin Budokai IMO.

By the way, I am not Conan the Barbarian, the talk-show host, or even the anime detective (nor the detective's English voice actor). I am simply Conan the SSJ, ruler of good hygiene. :)
14 years later

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

As a matter of fact, it doesn't.

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:33 pm

I just bought Shin Budokai and when I was paying for it in the store I remembered this thread, but got it anyway and I'm glad I did.

I think it's great. I too am having much more fun with it then I ever did with Budokai 3.

Real time ultimates and you can charge nearly everything. The characters have some unique moves that you've never seen before either. The story mode is a bad to the point that it's funny vacation from the usual "This is the story of Dragon Ball Z" tedium.

Rockman loves it.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:17 pm

I just picked this game up yesterday and while it may lack a little pizazz, I was quite happy with it. Sure the menu is boring and there is no capsule customization, but overall I liked the story and the simplicity of the combos.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com