Goku in Smash Bros?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Goku in Smash Bros?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:05 pm

Some of you may already now but Ryu got into Smash Bros for the Wii U/3DS. Sure he's a video game character but he has as much to do with Nintendo as anime does and I'm certain Goku is far more recognizable name. I mean, think of the most iconic video game character (Mario) facing the most iconic anime/manga character (Goku).

If Goku does ever make it in, what kind of moveset you think he should have? Here's my suggestions:

A Attack
Neutral Melee Combo: The PPKKKK combo he has from Infinite World (6 hits; 1%+ damage, 2%+ damage, 2%+ damage, 3%+ damage, 3%+ damage, 4%+ damage)
Forward/Backward Melee: The Gut punch he did on Piccolo during the 23rd Budokai (10%-20%+ damage; chargeable; unblockable when fully charged)
Up Melee: The >K+G kick he has from Budokai 3 (12%+ damage)
Down Melee: The breakdance kick he did on Burter and Jiece (3 hits; 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage, 5%+ damage)

B Attack
Neutral B: Kamehameha (chargeable; 12%-25%+ damage)
Forward/Backward B: Kaio-Ken Attack (3 hits (chains); 10%+ damage, 10%+ damage, 15%+ damage)
Up B: Instant Transmission
Down B: Spirit Shot (chargable; 15-28%+ damage)

Final Smash
Spirit Bomb, Super Spirit Bomb, or Super Saiyan

Spirit Bomb (10 hits; 6%+ damage, 6%+ damage, 6%+ damage, 6%+ damage, 6%+ damage, 6%+ damage, 6%+ damage, 6%+ damage, 6%+ damage, 10%+ damage)
Super Spirit Bomb (If move lands initially (sequence-based); 12 hits; 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage, 4%+ damage 15%+ damage)
Super Saiyan (temporary power up that gives him superarmor, doubles the damage percentage of attacks, and makes B attacks more potent)

So guys... mind giving your own suggestions?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Re: Goku in Smash Bros?

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:08 pm

I believe Sakurai already shot down chances of characters like Goku getting into Smash.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:20 pm

While I doubt Goku will ever, ever be in SSB I have to admit that I do admire the effort you've put into this SSB style Goku fighter...

Personally, I've always felt that a game featuring Toriyama's chibi style characters like Arale, Kintoki, Kid Goku and Jaco would make a be great for a fighting system like SSB. But alas that's just a pipe dream. :(

Edit:

Might as well add in some of my own ideas. I'm not necessarily much of a smash player so apologies in advance for any ideas that may not come off as necessarily plausible.

Neutral A: Punch, Punch, Strong Kick (decent knock back)
Side A: Strong Punch
Down A: Low Kick
Up A: Uppercut (small knock back)

Specials
Neutral B: Ki blast that disappear half way across screen (no charging)
Side B: Fly forward at opponent and headbutt
Down B: Instant Transmission Counter/Moving attack similar to Greninja's Shadow Sneak
Up B: Fly up for a limited amount of time (fairly slow)

Grabs
Side: Swing around like Mario
Up: Uppercut
Down: Low Kick

Smashes
Side: Kamehameha (Big knock back and has long reach, but also slow)
Down: Arching Downward Punch
Up: Strong Upwards Kick

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Super Smash Flash 2 did a good moveset for Goku. Of course, it's a fanmade game so I wouldn't count it. The problem with adding Goku (or any manga/anime characters for that matter) is that unless they originated on a Nintendo system (and I mean were first made as a video game character) you're basically including a licensed character into a fighting game that isn't supposed to have licensed characters.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Sakurai said that Smash Bros is for video game characters only. Characters that started off in a video game first and has a big role in Nintendo history. Goku started off as a manga character. Also Street Fighter is a big brand name and Ryu is iconic too. In the 90's Street Fighter II was in every arcade and had a lot of merchandise. People even thought the kamehameha was a rip off of the hadouken in the US back in the late 90's. Not to mention there is a lot of SF fans in the US and Japan, both casual and hardcore.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Sakurai said that Smash Bros is for video game characters only. Characters that started off in a video game first and has a big role in Nintendo history. Goku started off as a manga character. Also Street Fighter is a big brand name and Ryu is iconic too. In the 90's Street Fighter II was in every arcade and had a lot of merchandise. People even thought the kamehameha was a rip off of the hadouken in the US back in the late 90's. Not to mention there is a lot of SF fans in the US and Japan, both casual and hardcore.
Didn't SF also have a lot of its arcade games ported to the Nintendo/Super Nintendo?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:04 pm

Woops, forgot about grabs...

Grabs
Straight: Dragonthrow (6%+ damage, 4%+ damage)
Up: Knee opponent up into sky and Dragonthrow (2 hits; 2%+damage, 6%+ damage)
Down: Sweep kick (10%+ damage)
Hellspawn28 wrote:Sakurai said that Smash Bros is for video game characters only. Characters that started off in a video game first and has a big role in Nintendo history. Goku started off as a manga character. Also Street Fighter is a big brand name and Ryu is iconic too. In the 90's Street Fighter II was in every arcade and had a lot of merchandise. People even thought the kamehameha was a rip off of the hadouken in the US back in the late 90's. Not to mention there is a lot of SF fans in the US and Japan, both casual and hardcore.
Seriously, who the fuck thought that?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:07 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Well wasn't Dragonball(Z) not as popular in the West at the time? It would make sense to make such claims since people knew Ryu better than Goku at that age.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:07 pm

Well Street Fighter came out in the US way before DBZ did. People thought SSj Goku rip off of Super Sonic too.
She/Her

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:09 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Woops, forgot about grabs...

Grabs
Straight: Dragonthrow (6%+ damage, 4%+ damage)
Up: Knee opponent up into sky and Dragonthrow (2 hits; 2%+damage, 6%+ damage)
Down: Sweep kick (10%+ damage)
The same people who thought Dragon Ball started in 1996 and no that isn't from a YouTube comment.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:25 pm

Also, forgot air A attacks:

Neutral A: Punch (4%+ damage)
Up A: Forward Turtle Flip from Ultimate Battle 22 (8%+ damage)
Down A: Double-hand slam (7%+ damage; stunner)
Forward/Backward A: roundhouse kick (6%+ damage)
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:48 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote: Didn't SF also have a lot of its arcade games ported to the Nintendo/Super Nintendo?
Yes that's why he was a good choice for Smash. Goku is a anime and manga character. He started off in a manga and should not be in Smash.
She/Her

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:06 pm

It'd be about as likely as Luke Skywalker or Batman being playable. Yes, they're iconic, but Smash Bros. is specifically for video game characters. And no, appearing in licensed games does not automatically qualify one as a video game character first and foremost.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:53 am

Why not suggest Goku for Injustice 2? Goku would have a better chance on being that game then Smash. Smash is mainly focus on video game characters. NRS loves guest fighters, both Predator and Jason where added to popular demand in MKX.
She/Her

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:31 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Some of you may already now but Ryu got into Smash Bros for the Wii U/3DS. Sure he's a video game character but he has as much to do with Nintendo as anime does
Is that why the best selling Street Fighter game was on a Nintendo platform?

Sure, later entries were more focused on Sega consoles, but the most famous console port is SF2 on the Super Nintendo.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:21 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Some of you may already now but Ryu got into Smash Bros for the Wii U/3DS. Sure he's a video game character but he has as much to do with Nintendo as anime does
Nintendo is a particular video game company. Anime is not. Anime is another medium entirely. That's hardly analogous.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:I'm certain Goku is far more recognizable name
I'm certain that there are characters more recognizable than Goku (Superman, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, and Homer Simpson come immediately to mind). If you're treating "having a recognizable name" as a sufficient condition for being on the Smash roster, than I'd argue that you should be clamoring for those four characters long before Goku.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:think of the most iconic video game character (Mario) facing the most iconic anime/manga character (Goku).
That would be cool in a video game franchise that centered around characters from multiple different mediums facing off. Like Marvel vs Capcom, Mortal Kombat (vs DC, 9, X), Tatsunoko vs Capcom, etc. Smash, however, is primarily a Nintendo crossover, and secondarily a video game crossover.

----

All of that to the side, if Goku were, by some absurd miracle, added to the Smash Bros. roster, I'd like to see:

Special: Kamehameha
Chargeable like Samus and Mewtwo's Special, but is unleashed in the form of a solid beam, rather than a sphere. This can be aimed prior to firing.

Side Special: Nyoibo
Right after pressing the button, you have a small window of opportunity to angle the direction in which you're extending it. Deals damage upon contact, if pushed down on the ground, it will lift the player.

Up Special: Shukan Ido
Upon pressing the Special button, you have a second or so to aim toward another character (or an assist trophy), after which you will teleport right to them.

Down Special: Transformation
Holding down, press Special to cycle through Goku's selection of transformations, just like Shulk's Monado Arts. Higher transformations last shorter lengths of time, and have bigger drawbacks after wearing off.

Final Smash: Genki Dama
Goku teleports to the center of the screen to gather genki; some sort of input from the player can aid you in gathering energy (other players may also choose to donate genki, makes free for alls more political, and allows for more cooperation in team games). After 5 seconds or so, Goku unleashes it down the center of the screen. The more genki collected, the larger it is.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:39 pm

Zephyr wrote:All of that to the side, if Goku were, by some absurd miracle, added to the Smash Bros. roster, I'd like to see:

Special: Kamehameha
Chargeable like Samus and Mewtwo's Special, but is unleashed in the form of a solid beam, rather than a sphere. This can be aimed prior to firing.

Side Special: Nyoibo
Right after pressing the button, you have a small window of opportunity to angle the direction in which you're extending it. Deals damage upon contact, if pushed down on the ground, it will lift the player.

Up Special: Shukan Ido
Upon pressing the Special button, you have a second or so to aim toward another character (or an assist trophy), after which you will teleport right to them.

Down Special: Transformation
Holding down, press Special to cycle through Goku's selection of transformations, just like Shulk's Monado Arts. Higher transformations last shorter lengths of time, and have bigger drawbacks after wearing off.

Final Smash: Genki Dama
Goku teleports to the center of the screen to gather genki; some sort of input from the player can aid you in gathering energy (other players may also choose to donate genki, makes free for alls more political, and allows for more cooperation in team games). After 5 seconds or so, Goku unleashes it down the center of the screen. The more genki collected, the larger it is.
So... pretty much Goku's moveset in J-Stars Victory Vs? I could dig that.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:21 pm

You could also check out Super Smash Flash 2 Goku. His moveset is pretty good. A bit buggy with the Final Smash, but good.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:52 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Why not suggest Goku for Injustice 2? Goku would have a better chance on being that game then Smash. Smash is mainly focus on video game characters. NRS loves guest fighters, both Predator and Jason where added to popular demand in MKX.
Great Saiyaman would be a better fit for Injustice, if anything imo.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:22 pm

mysticboy wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Why not suggest Goku for Injustice 2? Goku would have a better chance on being that game then Smash. Smash is mainly focus on video game characters. NRS loves guest fighters, both Predator and Jason where added to popular demand in MKX.
Great Saiyaman would be a better fit for Injustice, if anything imo.
Don't forget Great Saiyaman 2. XD