Legend of the Super Saiyan

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Legend of the Super Saiyan

Post by Thanos6 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:42 pm

Talk about a manic-depressive game; everything seems to be either wonderfully brilliant or maddeningly horrible.

The RPG card system is pretty neat, the fights are good, the Mode 7 whenever there's a ram attack is sweet, the ki attacks are wonderful (especially when Vegeta does his Final Flash), and the humans can actually be useful throughout.

On the other end, you have endless levelling-up that I thought went out with the original Final Fantasy game, the same three enemies over and over and over and over again, a Vegeta so stubborn about obeying your commands he makes the manga/anime one look reasonable, and about two pieces of music until you get to the battle with Freeza and turn Goku into a Super Saiyan. The new music was so welcome to my ears I may as well have been listening to Beethoven.

Also, if you play your cards right (pun intended) the bosses can be mind-scramblingly easy. On Earth, I beat Vegeta with one Kaioken enhanced Kamehameha, Freeza wasn't much harder, and if you have the special Porunga card, it's possible to slash the final secret boss's HP in half before the battle even starts.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:06 pm

And yet it's still, by far, the greatest DBZ RPG ever created. Everything about this game is just superior to all the others before and after. Oh, and there's closer to 50 enemies (counting pallete swaps) to fight, and I think a dozen or so BGMs.

As for the easiness of the bosses. That's only if you trained well enough along the way and I have the right cards stored up. Which, typically, requires foreknowledge of what's coming. And that is something that happens with every RPG.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:28 pm

There may be a dozen or so BGMs, but if memory serves me correctly, there's basically two that dominate: fighting on Earth and fighting on Namek. You never do anything else long enough for their themes to take root in your brain.

When I said three enemies I meant three enemies at a time. When you're a certain level, you'll keep running into the same groups over and over again, then after they become real easy, they get rotated out for other groups (not to mention the fact it gets very surreal when you start fighting Zarbon, Dodoria, and Ginyu Force pallette swaps). Compare that to your typical SquareEnix RPG, even the old ones had plenty of variety in enemies.

And by no means is every end boss in RPGs easy. Zeromus from FFIV, for example, makes you work for it no matter how much you leveled up and how many strategies you read ahead of time. Same to a lesser extent for Lavos from Chrono Trigger (I wish I could say the same for Kefka from FFVI, the greatest RPG of all time, but he's severely underpowered for a final boss).

JPA82

Post by JPA82 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:33 pm

Xyex wrote:And yet it's still, by far, the greatest DBZ RPG ever created.
I'd have to agree. Although, I still enjoyed Super Gokuden and Super Gokuden 2 for the Super Famicom. Both are still great IMO. The battle system doesn't follow the usual card system, but it still works great for RPG style action.