"Super DragonBall Z" Help Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

"Super DragonBall Z" Help Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:53 pm

Heyas. I guess this will mostly be for those playing the Japanese version (since the game's text is almost entirely in Japanese), but will eventually apply to those obtaining translated versions of the game.

Basically, what I'm looking to do is just keep a central place (written well, absolutely nothing off-topic) for various questions about what to do in the game.

I'll go ahead and start it off. I know you have to play through "Original" mode to gain experience and DragonBalls and such. Well, I've played through twice. Is there any way I can check what I've obtained so far? I go to the Shenlong option on the main menu (Summon Mode?), but it just says "No Data". On this option and in a few others, you can press SELECT to bring up a screen to load data off the memory card.

So what do I need to do to get the ball rolling? I know it's saving my data, because I do indeed still have Majin Buu each time I play. He just kinda unlocked himself after we played a round in versus mode :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:05 pm

Ok, so here's what you have to do:

- Go to the 'customize' menu and proceed to the second option.

- In that same option, you will be prompted to choose a memory card.

- After that, select the desirable character.

- In order to gain battle experience and dragonballs, you can either go to the 'original' mode or to the 'survival' mode. I advise survival since it gives you much more experience. It's also quite easy to get some dragonballs there (roulette).

- To check what you have obtained so far, go to the first option of the customize mode. This one will allow you to select the attacks, as well as it will show you which ones you already have.

And that's basically it...from now on if you wish to upgrade that character, you must select the correspondent panel the game will show you each time you enter a certain game mode.

Don’t know if I was any help or if I can provide you some more assistance...
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:15 pm

Oh just another thing!
The Shenron mode is for you to get new attacks, items and in-game power-ups.
The extra characters are also only obtainable through Shenron.
It will be very useful, trust me! :lol:
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:22 pm

More questions. Much kanji :).

Unlocking the extra characters was no problem. As I kept leveling up my Goku in the survival mode (and collecting DragonBalls), they would just start appearing in the Shenron option. Whatevs, on that one.

As for leveling up, it seems Goku has hit a wall. The little meter doesn't go up anymore. I keep getting the experience, but it's filled up in yellow now, and I can't do the "Skiiiiiiiiiill Uuuuuuuuuup!" thing in the character upgrade menu. I'm positive you can do more, because the little "choose-your-own-adventure" (hehe) path still has more options down to go.

I'm thinking I have to wish for something to allow me to keep going?

Another thing that's irritating me is that other than the new characters, things I wish for don't turn gray. Say wha? I'm positive I've wished for the first and fifth items on the first menu of the first selection for Goku, but they're the same color. How do I keep track of the things I've wished for?
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:14 pm

Paid a little more attention with my Mecha-Freeza wishes tonight. I wished for the first item on the first page of the first selection. Gather the DBs again, went in again. That item I had wished for was white (instead of green), but it was still there and you could wish for it again.

Is there a reason for this? Can you and should you wish for the same thing multiple times?

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:16 pm

As for leveling up, it seems Goku has hit a wall. The little meter doesn't go up anymore. I keep getting the experience, but it's filled up in yellow now, and I can't do the "Skiiiiiiiiiill Uuuuuuuuuup!" thing in the character upgrade menu. I'm positive you can do more, because the little "choose-your-own-adventure" (hehe) path still has more options down to go.
You have to use that yellow bar in order to fill it again and again...
You can use it to get other characters skills.
You should notice that there is a third option available at the customize screen.
If you select it, you will be allowed to get some other skill from a certain character (one that you have already created a file and started using it for powering up).
Another thing that's irritating me is that other than the new characters, things I wish for don't turn gray. Say wha? I'm positive I've wished for the first and fifth items on the first menu of the first selection for Goku, but they're the same color. How do I keep track of the things I've wished for? That item I had wished for was white (instead of green), but it was still there and you could wish for it again.
Is there a reason for this? Can you and should you wish for the same thing multiple times?
You can wish the same items as much as you like, and that is because they will only be useful for you to customize your character.
The thing is, the items you wish for will replace the older ones you had already (the system ones).
System items are the ones that help you during the battle like the stamina, the senzu, etc...
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:22 pm

Son_GokouSSJ4 wrote:You have to use that yellow bar in order to fill it again and again...
That's not true. I actually had Vejita with about 4 full experience bars (it fills up over and over in different colors). The only time it won't refill for me is when you have completed the skill tree.

-Corey

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:31 pm

That's not true. I actually had Vejita with about 4 full experience bars (it fills up over and over in different colors). The only time it won't refill for me is when you have completed the skill tree.
VegettoEX has reached the point where what I said does indeed happen!
He has already surpassed all those levels, and now he must do like I said, because they wont refill with different colours (as they used to before).
You will see when you get there.
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Son_GokouSSJ4 wrote:VegettoEX has reached the point where what I said does indeed happen!
He has already surpassed all those levels, and now he must do like I said, because they wont refill with different colours (as they used to before).
You will see when you get there.
Uh, dude? I own the game. I've maxed out a few characters, unlocked everyone and I'm not just talking out of my ass.

The ONLY way the experience bar will cease to refill is if the skill tree has been completed or your current experience is enough to complete the skill tree. THAT IS ALL.

Jeez...

-Corey

Edit: Sorry, not trying to sound dickish, but he said above that he hasn't completed the initial skill tree. That means he should be able to gain the number of levels needed to complete that without any other action, as I was able to for everyone.

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:44 pm

Well I didn’t mean to insult you so you don’t need to talk like that!
I own the game as well and I was just trying to help (as far as my little knowledge appears to go!).
Anyways thanks for clearing that up, and so sorry if I hurt your ego.
Back on topic please...
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:38 pm

Can someone explain to me how to get to where? Like what "exactly" to click on? The menu screens are confusing the hell out of me.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:59 pm

• The upper-left (Cell) is the original/arcade mode. You fight seven opponents, best-of-three-rounds. You get a DragonBall when you win a round.
  • The left-middle (Gohan) is the survival mode. One round per fight, and you do not get your health back. You get experience for winning (and losing), and the roulette afterwards lets you go for things like a DragonBall, more health, extra experience, etc.
  • The bottom-left (Vegeta) is training mode.
  • The upper-right (Shenlon) is the summon/wishing mode. After you collect seven DragonBalls with a custom character, you can make a wish. Attacks, customizations, new characters, etc.
  • The right-middle (Kame-Sen'nin) is the character customization menu. Start up a new custom character, or edit a pre-existing one you've already made.
  • The bottom-right (Mr. Popo) is the options screen.
In order to really get anywhere in the game, you'll want to set up a custom character. Or two. Or three. Or thirty. See Son_GokouSSJ4's post for more info on setting that up.

If you still need some help after that, go right ahead and ask! If I can't help, I'm sure someone else can.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:17 am

VegettoEX wrote:
  • The left-middle (Gohan) is the survival mode. One round per fight, and you do not get your health back. You get experience for winning (and losing), and the roulette afterwards lets you go for things like a DragonBall, more health, extra experience, etc.
  • The right-middle (Kame-Sen'nin) is the character customization menu. Start up a new custom character, or edit a pre-existing one you've already made.
These two I really wasnt sure about. Do you need a custom character for the survival mode?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:45 pm

I don't know that you need it (for example, you can do the original/arcade mode without a custom character), but it would really serve no purpose. You need the custom character to gain experience (and in turn make wishes) and also to get DragonBalls.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:27 pm

So with the custom character you can use the dragonballs to unlock the hidden characters? And how do you use your custom character in the Shenron mode, does the data load up when it first reads your memory card?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:43 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:So with the custom character you can use the dragonballs to unlock the hidden characters?
Right.
Sun_Wukong wrote:And how do you use your custom character in the Shenron mode, does the data load up when it first reads your memory card?
As soon as the game boots up, it will read the memory card. Just hit "Circle" until it gets to all the producer/publisher/etc. screens.

After you've collected seven DragonBalls with one of your custom characters you can go into the summon mode (you don't have to collect them all at once; if you lose in survival, you keep whatever you've accumulated... also, you can have, say, four DBs with one character, switch to another character, collect three... but that doesn't make seven... it has to be with the same character). In the summon mode, pick a character who has seven DBs. It'll load up, and then you'll summon Shenlon.

The extra characters are: (1) the second option when you can pick after Shenlon talks, (2) the entire first tab in this option. There's five of them. You can only get three right off the bat (the other two appear as "?????"), and then as you keep battling and gaining experience, you'll unlock the ability to unlock the other two (Majin-Vegeta and finally Mecha-Freeza).

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:03 pm

I chose Trunks as my custom character, I'm up to 5 DBs. Once I get 7, I go to the Shenron mode summon him with my character right? What option do I choose for the hidden characters?

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The extra characters are: (1) the second option when you can pick after Shenlon talks, (2) the entire first tab in this option. There's five of them. You can only get three right off the bat (the other two appear as "?????"), and then as you keep battling and gaining experience, you'll unlock the ability to unlock the other two (Majin-Vegeta and finally Mecha-Freeza).
Correction: The three you get initially are Majin Vegeta, Piccolo Daimao and Gohan from the Buu saga (in that order). The other two you'll be able to unlock as you summon Shenron more are Videl (after 8 summons) and Mecha Freeza (after 10 summons).

The option 'Your Wish Has Been Enhanced' (where hidden characters, the ability to change the narrator and so forth) is unlocked by summoning Shenron three or four times (it's been awhile, sorry ^^).

I've actually switched to playing the European version. It's fully intact save for the intro which doesn't have Cha La Head Cha La (2005 ver.). Too bad I gotta re-unlock things though...

-Corey

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:07 pm

So you get 3 characters at one time?

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:05 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:So you get 3 characters at one time?
Nope 1 a wish.

An other question then:

With the skill tree, can you get all the skills for one character (like the "breaktrough" capsule in budokai 3)?