"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Jaetinh wrote:What the fuck is up with the English subtitles? Are they trying to make it more fun by adding insults and changing lines? I have seen a couple so far (I am at chapter 4 in the story now). I'm at the part where Goku and Krillin are about to fight Cell. Cell clearly says "Well, if it isn't Goku and Krillin" while the subtitles are "-Goku and his annoying, nose-less sidekick."
I wish they made separate subtitles for the Japanese Dub.
My English is poor .

Jaetinh
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jaetinh » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:06 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
Jaetinh wrote:What the fuck is up with the English subtitles? Are they trying to make it more fun by adding insults and changing lines? I have seen a couple so far (I am at chapter 4 in the story now). I'm at the part where Goku and Krillin are about to fight Cell. Cell clearly says "Well, if it isn't Goku and Krillin" while the subtitles are "-Goku and his annoying, nose-less sidekick."
Agreed, it pisses me off. It's like those TFS dudes translated this shit. Another one I just found where Piccolo says "I can see why Bulma chose Vegeta" to Yamcha. Not anywhere in that sentence did Piccolo mention either of those two.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:07 pm

I know that it would probably not be worth making assets over due to it only being available for two characters with two versions, but my friends and I thought it would be cool that if you choose Goku and SSJBlue Goku (Or Vegeta and SSJBlue Vegeta) in order, and Goku goes down first, instead of SSJBlue Goku clashing with the opponent, Goku would just get back up and power up to Blue.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:12 pm

Just beat the story, and gotta say I really loved this game. The first arc really felt like a glorified tutorial (which I already took the tutorial before even going to the story so that felt kinda pointless) and the second really kicked in the fan fic department with the villains and heroes teaming up. Loved it

That last arc though was great. It was an emotional ride to get to learn 21's backstory, connections to the story, and the ending got me in my feels.

Fantastic game. Now to go back and find all the interactions between characters and unlock the Blues :thumbup:

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 pm

So I have played the game and its a ton of fun, the story mode is kind of lacking so I can see where the aim was in arcade mode and online play but that banter....

I find it extremely hypocritical that the fandom praises this game for some of jokes in here when if it was in Super they would freak the fuck out especially when some of these lines were changed from the japanese.

I mean I always thought most of those comments were bullshit but now I KNOW those comments were bullshit.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:59 pm

Jaetinh wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
Agreed, it pisses me off. It's like those TFS dudes translated this shit. Another one I just found where Piccolo says "I can see why Bulma chose Vegeta" to Yamcha. Not anywhere in that sentence did Piccolo mention either of those two.
Ah, see that can't be a good analogy. Because I laughed at the "nose-less sidekick" jab, but nothing in Abridged has even closely resembled comedy.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:11 am

Anybody discovered a good method to getting the "Set For Life" trophy of 20 million Zeni?

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 am

21 has arguably the best backstory of any villain in the series. It would be cool to see her again in a future anime.

King13s

Post by King13s » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:38 am

FoolsGil wrote:I know that it would probably not be worth making assets over due to it only being available for two characters with two versions, but my friends and I thought it would be cool that if you choose Goku and SSJBlue Goku (Or Vegeta and SSJBlue Vegeta) in order, and Goku goes down first, instead of SSJBlue Goku clashing with the opponent, Goku would just get back up and power up to Blue.
Oh man, that would have been slick as hell!
Imagine if that meant when you had Goku (Base), Goku, & Ssb Goku, it just feels like this long drawn out fight.

But the assist aspect would be weird

King13s

Post by King13s » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:43 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
This a million times this.
I get that American Goku is a Superman heart of a hero type, and other characters have personalities shaped by dubs and the fandom, but leave the Japanese translations alone. That's actually hella disrespectful.

It reminds me of this movie where a guy speaks in an Asian language and they subtitle it completely different from what he's actually saying. The punch line is that what he is saying is essentially "I'm sorry to be saying random things, but the Americans didn't take the time to translate the script."

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:06 am

Daman Mills does a really good job at recreating Chris Ayers's Freeza. I was kinda skeptical about his performance back when I was watching the Resurrection 'F' arc in Super, but he's gotten much better in FighterZ.

I always forget just how amazing Dameon Clarke is as Cell. He adds so much personality to Cell's character just through the way he says things.

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:44 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:Anybody discovered a good method to getting the "Set For Life" trophy of 20 million Zeni?
After finishing story mode, start a new game with the difficulty set to hard - this will earn you with level 6 zeni upgrades eventually - equip all three and go through the android 21 arc over and over. If you don't skip any fights, this will earn you a lot of zeni

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 am

Jaetinh wrote:
Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
That scene is one of the easiest to tell where it had changed lines. As if Piccolo saying something like that would ever resemble his character.
Last edited by Olympian on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 am

Totamo wrote:So I have played the game and its a ton of fun, the story mode is kind of lacking so I can see where the aim was in arcade mode and online play but that banter....

I find it extremely hypocritical that the fandom praises this game for some of jokes in here when if it was in Super they would freak the fuck out especially when some of these lines were changed from the japanese.

I mean I always thought most of those comments were bullshit but now I KNOW those comments were bullshit.
I mentioned this before but I found it a tad hypocritical that some that lost their cool at one line of Goku towards Gohan and its respective translation for the in-joke were teling me to cool it about how Yamcha is threated in the Dub. And it`s not just the two. There`s hardly a cutscene without one or two TFS-lite jabs.

As excepted, even something that could work with some breathing room, they just overdid it.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:41 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
Noticed this when I was playing yesterday. I don’t know any Japanese but I clearly heard Vegeta say “Kakarotto” and the English subtitles didn’t show him mentioning Goku’s name at all. I’d really like to know what they’re actually saying since as I’ve gotten older I’ve really began to enjoy watching the show subbed in Japanese a great deal more.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Not even the subtitles are safe?! This is an embarrassing lack of professionalism, a translator's job is to translate. This isn't some fansub to add memes.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:24 pm

ArcSystem has been having these subtitle problems for years. It was like that with both Guilty Gear and Blazblue series. That being said, compared to the two I just mentioned, this one ain't bad. Just as long as they don't switch things up in the major plot points, then there's nothing to worry about. Besides, don't some of yall play the Japanese version anyway? Why the outrage?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:28 pm

EXBadguy wrote:ArcSystem has been having these subtitle problems for years. It was like that with both Guilty Gear and Blazblue series. That being said, compared to the two I just mentioned, this one ain't bad. Just as long as they don't switch things up in the major plot points, then there's nothing to worry about. Besides, don't some of yall play the Japanese version anyway? Why the outrage?
The English and Japanese dub share the same subtitles, so it's obviously a problem, considering the English dub changes a lot of the dialogue that obviously reflects on the subtitles.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:ArcSystem has been having these subtitle problems for years. It was like that with both Guilty Gear and Blazblue series. That being said, compared to the two I just mentioned, this one ain't bad. Just as long as they don't switch things up in the major plot points, then there's nothing to worry about. Besides, don't some of yall play the Japanese version anyway? Why the outrage?
The English and Japanese dub share the same subtitles, so it's obviously a problem, considering the English dub changes a lot of the dialogue that obviously reflects on the subtitles.
Oh, so the game DOES have the same problem the other Arcsys games had. Well that's a bad sign. They could've at least delay the game to give the translators time. I don't mind some of the line changes because there are some lines in Japanese that would sound weird if said in English.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:56 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Oh, so the game DOES have the same problem the other Arcsys games had. Well that's a bad sign. They could've at least delay the game to give the translators time. I don't mind some of the line changes because there are some lines in Japanese that would sound weird if said in English.
Totally off-topic. Is your sig referring to your avatar? If yes, why do you call Spider-Man Batman?