"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:42 am

EXBadguy wrote:I can't believe there are people who are okay with paying for weaker versions of the same damn character. Don't yall feel robbed?
Why should I feel robbed? What's exactly intrinsically wrong with making a new characters that's a "weaker" version of another?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:44 am

Btw, didn’t they told us about some FighterZ stream for July 29. or something like? I expected some gameplay from the new characters... I guess we have to wait until EVO.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:49 am

mute_proxy wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
Bull! The base forms ARE part of the Super era. Both of them fought without transforming in some episodes. Hell, I'd rather pay for SSJ4 Goku over base. At least it's a form that hasn't been in much games lately unlike the base forms which have been in MOST DB GAMES FOR FUCKING FREE! :thumbdown:
Look at the trailer. They're specifically from the early Z era wearing their Saiyan Saga clothes and using their pre Super Saiyan era moves.
And? What's your point? He should've been in from the jump. And since you wanna talk about the Super era, why is Teen Gohan, Ginyu, Nappa, Yamcha, & Kid Buu in the game?

And as for you, Mr Vegetto, yes I am aware that they play differently and understand the traditional fighting game concepts, but when you make customers pay for a major character that has been in most games for free and should've been in the base game, then there's gonna be outrage.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:57 am

EXBadguy wrote:
And? What's your point? He should've been in from the jump. And since you wanna talk about the Super era, why Teen Gohan, Ginyu, Nappa, Yamcha, & Kid Buu are the game?
Because they're important to the franchise, are unique and don't have multiple counterparts. While Vegeta and Goku do. That's why their classic forms were separated into DLC. Having them optional, and not convoluting the roster from the get go. And completing the Saiyan saga essentials set if need be (as an option). It was a choice on the developers behalf. Stop acting as if you know better, no one's forcing you to do anything you don't want.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:59 am

EXBadguy wrote:And as for you, Mr Vegetto, yes I am aware that they play differently and understand the traditional fighting game concepts, but when you make customers pay for a major character that has been in most games for free and should've been in the base game, then there's gonna be outrage.
You don't even want to play as him.

You can't have your outrage cake and eat it, too.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:14 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Because they're important to the franchise, are unique and don't have multiple counterparts. While Vegeta and Goku do. That's why their classic forms were separated into DLC. Having them optional, and not convoluting the roster from the get go. And completing the Saiyan saga essentials set if need be (as an option). It was a choice on the developers behalf. Stop acting as if you know better, no one's forcing you to do anything you don't want.
"Important to the franchise"? Please! So are the base forms. Hell, if those forms (along with focusing on offline modes) took more development time, then I'd be okay with then delaying the game
VegettoEX wrote: You don't even want to play as him.
If I had the game, I would. I'm fascinated by base Goku's playstyle. I'm talking about the DLC practices, which I find them to be horrible.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:54 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
And? What's your point? He should've been in from the jump.
Well, he's not, that's the point.
VegettoEX wrote:(Does FighterZ still desperately need some balance adjustments and thankfully does it seem like we might be getting some soon even though it's far too late for them to be doing that in earnest?)

(Yes.)
Admittedly I find Bamco's approach to this game's balance interesting, in that it's very clear that they obviously have no idea what most people's problems with it are and instead focused on patching out superficial broken things, but thanks to the enormous growth of the players they now feel the need to address their complaints anyway.

The result was that people learned to deal with it, and even tho it sucks that you won't see low-tier characters this EVO, the players still managed to develop an interesting meta that's fun to play and watch.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote: (Does FighterZ still desperately need some balance adjustments and thankfully does it seem like we might be getting some soon even though it's far too late for them to be doing that in earnest?)
The patch isn't late. They could only do it after EVO as not to ruin months of work of those participating, I bet if they could, it would be a bit sooner.

They probably didn't want to do it too soon because the game needs to evolve they can't go with knee jerk reactions, if they did Goku Black,for example , would be nerfed to the ground because people where raising their pitchforks and calling him overpowered. However as we can see the character is actually pretty balanced.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:00 pm

EXBadguy wrote:If I had the game, I would. I'm fascinated by base Goku's playstyle. I'm talking about the DLC practices, which I find them to be horrible.
Remember when we had to through hard sh*t IN-GAME to unlock new characters? Those were good times.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Noah wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:If I had the game, I would. I'm fascinated by base Goku's playstyle. I'm talking about the DLC practices, which I find them to be horrible.
Remember when we had to through hard sh*t IN-GAME to unlock new characters? Those were good times.
I think Street Fighter 4 (Vanilla) is the last game I have where that is indeed the case. I do not think I'll ever unlock Akuma, let alone Gouken.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:57 pm

Regarding balance, the big criticism I've heard of this game is that it heavily favours one style of play (ie rushdown) at the expense of others. That's why characters like Bardock and Cell are so good, their attacks come out fast, have good reach, they're plus everything on block (especially Bardock holy Jesus goddamn him) and they have a lot of high-low options. On the other hand, the worse characters are either slow like Buu and Nappa or built for a different kind of playstyle like Beerus and Freeza. I can speak from experience that those characters can be played well with practice, but often not in the playstyle they're intended for, and with more work and less reward than what you'd get for just scumming it with Goku Black.

Would making Beerus' orbs un-dashable be viable? I've seen a bit of argument about that, some say it would make him too broken, others say it would make him the first proper zoner.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:44 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I can speak from experience that those characters can be played well with practice, but often not in the playstyle they're intended for, and with more work and less reward than what you'd get for just scumming it with Goku Black.
Can't really scum with Black because he's the most honest character in the game. He's just a pure all-around character.

Cell and Bardock however...
Would making Beerus' orbs un-dashable be viable? I've seen a bit of argument about that, some say it would make him too broken, others say it would make him the first proper zoner.
It would basically make him untouchable. 236S by itself surrounds Beerus in every direction with orbs and can make them instantly with 2S. He wouldn't be a zoner, as zoners have to basically be good at reading opponents and have moves that while effective, leave them open if used improperly. Beerus with orbs that can't be dashed through would rule the meta with an iron fist.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:20 pm

Logania wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:I can speak from experience that those characters can be played well with practice, but often not in the playstyle they're intended for, and with more work and less reward than what you'd get for just scumming it with Goku Black.
Can't really scum with Black because he's the most honest character in the game. He's just a pure all-around character.
Admittedly, he's one of those characters everyone thought would be OP at first but overtime has settled into a comfortable spot. That 2H tho...
It would basically make him untouchable. 236S by itself surrounds Beerus in every direction with orbs and can make them instantly with 2S. He wouldn't be a zoner, as zoners have to basically be good at reading opponents and have moves that while effective, leave them open if used improperly. Beerus with orbs that can't be dashed through would rule the meta with an iron fist.
Fair dos, that's why I'm asking. I feel like he needs something since at the moment, those orbs clearly don't work as intended.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:56 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Noah wrote:
I think Street Fighter 4 (Vanilla) is the last game I have where that is indeed the case. I do not think I'll ever unlock Akuma, let alone Gouken.
This game kind of has that if you don't buy unlocks/season pass or preordered. Have to beat story to get 21 (which was really hard to do due to boredom) and beat some hard difficulty arcade modes or earn a bunch of zenny for blue Goku and Vegeta. And other games let you earn in game currency to unlock characters. Like SFV you can get all the characters by playing the game but (at least when I played) costs so much that you won't have much left for any stages or costumes. So some games still have the unlocks, they just want you to spend money instead.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:43 am

Noah wrote:
Having DLC didn't stop developers from making you unlock new characters, developers realizing that people buy fighting games to play the fighting game part did.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:20 pm

Didn't anybody read what I said a few pages back? In most cases nowadays, DLC characters are just characters who were cut from the base game due to time constraints. This is why we could find them in the games code at launch and other stuff.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:23 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Didn't anybody read what I said a few pages back? In most cases nowadays, DLC characters are just characters who were cut from the base game due to time constraints. This is why we could find them in the games code at launch and other stuff.
We can find their codes at launch because developers usually put in a small foundation to build upon for the DLC they plan. This makes developing the DLC without screwing up the base game files much easier.

It's why every Xenoverse DLC that's apart of a set has placeholder files with the label of the enxt character they're gonna do
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:31 am

Imagine the alternate universe where the DLC characters were never leaked or data-mined. We knew the base forms were coming months in advance, and the overall reaction is still weary resignation, if not outright anger. Imagine if they'd somehow kept it secret and it was being sprung on us now. People would have spent months speculating and been so disappointed.

They probably know this stuff will get there and planned the releases accordingly. We have these base forms, we'll delay them just long enough that people have gotten used to the idea, but save one more pair to follow as a nice chaser.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:36 am

EXBadguy wrote:And as for you, Mr Vegetto, yes I am aware that they play differently and understand the traditional fighting game concepts, but when you make customers pay for a major character that has been in most games for free and should've been in the base game, then there's gonna be outrage.
Huh. Guess I've been scammed because I remember paying 60$ every time to get the characters in the base games. How did you get them for free?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:38 am

Kataphrut wrote:Imagine the alternate universe where the DLC characters were never leaked or data-mined. We knew the base forms were coming months in advance, and the overall reaction is still weary resignation, if not outright anger. Imagine if they'd somehow kept it secret and it was being sprung on us now. People would have spent months speculating and been so disappointed.

They probably know this stuff will get there and planned the releases accordingly. We have these base forms, we'll delay them just long enough that people have gotten used to the idea, but save one more pair to follow as a nice chaser.
Dude, I would be so, SO disappointed if they were a surprise reveal. We're talking about "FFVII logo appearing on E3, crowd going wild only to hear the PR guy announcing the PSX version being ported to the PS4" level of disappointment. (though they kinda rectified that later :D )