"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Cetra wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Who cares about that? Its a video game. Besides who knows what this guy could actually have done if he would not have been annihilated. So more for this fictional character to use because of thatt.
I'm just saying it would be odd him losing then regaining his body. I also think the bird is just generally a more impressive idea visually
Cetra wrote:I would rather be interested how Gattai Zamasu will be included.

I guess I would do something like:

First Special: Holy Wrath
Second Special: Energy Angel -> Lightning of Absolution that hits both him and the opponent -> Zamasu becomes corrupted, he loses speed but gets strength
Ultimate: Zamasu vanishes, becomes Univerzalmasu, you hear mad laughing and all those faces shoot their red-black beams; then he turns back into normal or corrupted
First of all it's a bird, not an angel.

And I said I would prefer it as his best move.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:15 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote: First of all it's a bird, not an angel.

"First of all", its an angel. Zamasu is supposed to be an absolute narcissistic deity, the non-plus ultra and he summons an energy halo behind him. It is an angel. You associate halos and angels more with godly and heavenly things than a normal bird. It is abstract for a reason.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:14 am

Finally reached Super Saiyan God in Ranked 8)

Now I can chill and focus on Casual for the time being.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:24 am

Cetra wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote: First of all it's a bird, not an angel.

"First of all", its an angel. Zamasu is supposed to be an absolute narcissistic deity, the non-plus ultra and he summons an energy halo behind him. It is an angel. You associate halos and angels more with godly and heavenly things than a normal bird. It is abstract for a reason.

It resembles a bird significantly more than an angel, note the lack of arms. Zamasu has the angel motif. This thing fits a description, at best, closer to a harpy.

And nobody is debating Zamasu is narcissistic. That bird also, rather bizarrely seems to feel pain... wonder if it's sentient?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Apparently you have never in your childhood made a snow angel while lying in the snow. Not every picture of an angel is looking like a human with wings.

Its great (of course not) that you ignore the entire logic behind it and still call it a bird but you still don't (apparently at least) understand what a) abstract means and b) the entire meaning behind the symbolism of something heavenly. Or should I start debating you now that this thing did scream in a way a bird does not, had some weird energetic colouring that looked mored like a deformed (here once again, abstract as it is just a mass of energy that is used for symbolism) face, has no peck, which a bird has (so your "it has no arms" is quite unnecessary for your "its not an angel" thing), there is no meaning behind it being a bird and pretty much everyone I have seen on the internet identifies it as some kind of energy angel. It makes no sense for Zamasu to have a halo to support his theme of heavenly, divine theme but then using an abstract bird instead of an abstract angel. Also you did not get the point of the narcissistic argument at all. I used it to explain to you the entirety of his representation as is superior, godly and above everyone standing entity -> the godliness. That's the one reason I mentioned it. So you would understand the theme of Zamasu instead of giving him an animal that has no meaning for him. Zamasu is the classic representation of what Japan uses for super narcissistic villains in godly positions. They so often get angel wings, halos, et cetera, like Sephiroth in FFVII, Kefka in FFVI, et cetera. A bird out of nowhere does not even fit. There is no point in it being one and you will not find a proper argument being a bird being more appopriate for this kind of symbolism because everything around Zamasu is supported way more by the abstract model of an angel. As a matter of fact the only thing "oh, well, it flies, other than ordinary people" you can use for a bird is already represented by the being of an angel itself and that is only one of the themes of an angel that enhances Zamasu's heavenly "I am the one who stands above you all, I am a deity, I am so much better than all of you, generic villain blabla" theme.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:23 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Since we don't yet know whether we're getting Super or Blue Vegetto, which would people prefer? For me Super with Blue as the Level 3 for Final Kamehameha. FighterZ is all about iconic parts of the franchise and Super Vegetto is more iconic then Blue, it's the same reason they used Z Trunks as opposed to Super Trunks. My only worry is because Merged Zamasu is rumoured, Blue may be more likely to accompany him. But I'm pulling for Super Saiyan.
It's blue. The datamine leak had the 'SSGSS' tag next to his name

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:44 pm

KayDash wrote:
LightBing wrote:With the opening of the Kame-House and the upcoming "big update", it's painfully obvious how this game was rushed out the door. Might also be why the online is bad and taking so long to fix(based on various complains, personally didn't have many problems). Why not postpone it for a couple of months? This together with announcing the DLC before the game was even released is bad ethic.
Dude, no! It's absolutely natural in every game's development that they cut content, and it's never 100% possible to measure every challenge in advance when it comes to development. I think FighterZ is a complete game as it was in release day, it's only a good thing that they still willing to provide new content for it. Unlike how it was back in the days, when devs never touched a released game again, and if it had problems, they problems stayed there forever. (unless gamers found a way to patch it through reverse-engineering)
To tell the whole truth, there were some games in development without the closing deadlines and other restrictions, and usually they didn't turned out to be good. I'm pretty sure you are aware of Duke Nukem Forever, it's 15 years long development, and the quality of the released game. Yeap...
Cutting content isn't unethical? I don't mean "extra content" like characters on the border of relevancy to be obligatory in the base game, like Broly for example.
Just because every(most) companies are scumbags doesn't make it OK.

I agree that the game is complete just missing the Kame-House. Having a global search function for one of the game modes you hyped people about should be in the game from the get go.
I have no idea beyond how hard it must be to plan and make a game. I wouldn't be upset if the game was delayed, the unexpected happens. That's it was either naive or greedy for them to give us a release date so soon, had they said early 2018 they could have covered their backs in case something happened.
Maybe they wanted to hinder the Monster Hunter release or ride the failed Marvel train, unfortunate that it takes precedence over releasing the game in the best condition possible for your customers.

Just my two cents.

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:53 pm

videogamedunkey plays FighterZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7r_PZP6T3s
I'll forgive dunkey for not knowing anything about Dragon Ball (although I'm pretty sure it's just an act he's putting on) but his friend getting so much wrong about it has me triggered like the nerd I am. He says "Kamayhamayha" is the correct pronunciation of the ability, and that Piccolo is named after a pickle. :crazy:

Otherwise a boring video, but hey more game exposure, not like it needed it though. Should probably have 2 million+ views in a day or so.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Mr. Popo would be a fine addition to this game, mainly if he can eat energy wave attacks like the Kamehameha.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Cetra wrote:Apparently you have never in your childhood made a snow angel while lying in the snow. Not every picture of an angel is looking like a human with wings.

Its great (of course not) that you ignore the entire logic behind it and still call it a bird but you still don't (apparently at least) understand what a) abstract means and b) the entire meaning behind the symbolism of something heavenly. Or should I start debating you now that this thing did scream in a way a bird does not, had some weird energetic colouring that looked mored like a deformed (here once again, abstract as it is just a mass of energy that is used for symbolism) face, has no peck, which a bird has (so your "it has no arms" is quite unnecessary for your "its not an angel" thing), there is no meaning behind it being a bird and pretty much everyone I have seen on the internet identifies it as some kind of energy angel. It makes no sense for Zamasu to have a halo to support his theme of heavenly, divine theme but then using an abstract bird instead of an abstract angel. Also you did not get the point of the narcissistic argument at all. I used it to explain to you the entirety of his representation as is superior, godly and above everyone standing entity -> the godliness. That's the one reason I mentioned it. So you would understand the theme of Zamasu instead of giving him an animal that has no meaning for him. Zamasu is the classic representation of what Japan uses for super narcissistic villains in godly positions. They so often get angel wings, halos, et cetera, like Sephiroth in FFVII, Kefka in FFVI, et cetera. A bird out of nowhere does not even fit. There is no point in it being one and you will not find a proper argument being a bird being more appopriate for this kind of symbolism because everything around Zamasu is supported way more by the abstract model of an angel. As a matter of fact the only thing "oh, well, it flies, other than ordinary people" you can use for a bird is already represented by the being of an angel itself and that is only one of the themes of an angel that enhances Zamasu's heavenly "I am the one who stands above you all, I am a deity, I am so much better than all of you, generic villain blabla" theme.

Ok so with your (not so) great attitude aside... Now, we dont get snow living on a beach, but we can make sand angels and those STILL dont look like this.

1. Zamasu claims to be a god, not an angel, so angel doesnt make sense. Yes he has a halo but so does jesus and other divine figures.
2. It more resembles a bird to me, like you said, it's abstract. I don't have to see it the way you do to have a view.
3. Arguing its an angel because Zamasu looks like an angel (when he isnt one), well explain how goku, a literal monkey man, has this animal aura, which is not a monkey man.

4. Goku pulling Dragons out when hes a saiyan means Zamasu having a bird isnt too out of the realm of possibility. It's just a construct he chose to make.
5. In all fairness, given it's bird appearance, it could also be a pheonix, given those a birds that live forever, much like Zamasu himself through his wish. They are also associated with cleansing and rebirth, like his Zero Mortals Plan.

Here's an idea for you though, not taking people disagreeing with you as a need to be obnoxious. Try it sometime? Perhaps your need to be ;the right view' isnt as important as you'd have us all think.

I see a bird, I call it a bird. I wouldnt call a truck a motorcycle when I see a truck.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:13 pm

This really has nothing to do with FighterZ - please take it elsewhere.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:40 pm

I finally finished the story mode, it was a chore. I'm disappointed since I went into it with some expectations.

Clearly who designed this story mode forced the 3vs3 in. That's why everyone's being affected by the waves, in the same realm of power and there's a billion clones around. It didn't work for me storywise.
Another problem is the repetition. Repetition in conversations, stages and characters. Doesn't help how they constrained themselves to a scenario where they can't use 30% of the characters in the game, ditto for the stages.

I love #21 designs, her backstory is fine nothing special about it. Being an upgraded Cell with the hunger insanity is cool and simple enough. The plot is pretty ridiculous and there's a lot of plot induced stupidity. The ending being a semi copy of the fight against Pure Boo is nothing more than annoying, why does modern Dragon Ball insist on copying old stuff?!

Ultimately this was an excuse to insert a waifu into the game and fun interactions between characters. That wasn't enough to make a good story. Maybe if they didn't drag the whole thing this might have been more palatable. At certain points I was resenting the game for not getting on with it.

It kinda feels like some said the story mode has to provide x hours of content busting the balls of the writers. While the limited roster would make this a challenge, I think this could be much better if it was shorter. Quality not quantity. Oh and not obsessing with the 3 vs 3 aspect, it's one of the main aspects of the game but it doesn't need to be fundamental to this story mode.
I'm having some ideas. I'll think about and come back to this thread.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:16 pm

I never understood why Dbz games never took powerscaling into account when making story mode. Not in a nitpicking sense, but if you re-watch the Frieza saga he was so much stronger than the rest of the Z-fighters to the point of absurdity, where no matter what he just looked invincible. Why not have a 3v1 where we actually get to feel like we're battling an absurdly strong monster where we desperately have to throw everything and the kitchen sink at him?

We tried this on Super Smash Bros, where the 3 of us have ourselves the highest handicap possible and we were fighting the antagonist from the Zelda games (3v1 CPU). One hit would literally send us flying and it was really fun to play, and especially satisfying to finally beat him. We called it ''Frieza mode''.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:29 pm

LightBing wrote:I finally finished the story mode, it was a chore. I'm disappointed since I went into it with some expectations.

Clearly who designed this story mode forced the 3vs3 in. That's why everyone's being affected by the waves, in the same realm of power and there's a billion clones around. It didn't work for me storywise.
Another problem is the repetition. Repetition in conversations, stages and characters. Doesn't help how they constrained themselves to a scenario where they can't use 30% of the characters in the game, ditto for the stages.

I love #21 designs, her backstory is fine nothing special about it. Being an upgraded Cell with the hunger insanity is cool and simple enough. The plot is pretty ridiculous and there's a lot of plot induced stupidity. The ending being a semi copy of the fight against Pure Boo is nothing more than annoying, why does modern Dragon Ball insist on copying old stuff?!

Ultimately this was an excuse to insert a waifu into the game and fun interactions between characters. That wasn't enough to make a good story. Maybe if they didn't drag the whole thing this might have been more palatable. At certain points I was resenting the game for not getting on with it.

It kinda feels like some said the story mode has to provide x hours of content busting the balls of the writers. While the limited roster would make this a challenge, I think this could be much better if it was shorter. Quality not quantity. Oh and not obsessing with the 3 vs 3 aspect, it's one of the main aspects of the game but it doesn't need to be fundamental to this story mode.
I'm having some ideas. I'll think about and come back to this thread.
The story mode makes me think that they didn't really plan on having a story at first, it just feels so tacked on especially with the pointless map. I wouldn't be surprised if the original plan was some sort of random encounter arcade mode thing, with the interactions being the reward for getting through different tiers or something
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:36 pm

I just thought of something regarding the clones: what if the clones had a collective learning A.I. that adjust to your playstyle (in story and gameplay)?
It would certainly rectify the repetitive gameplay criticism.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:23 am

Kanassa wrote: The story mode makes me think that they didn't really plan on having a story at first, it just feels so tacked on especially with the pointless map. I wouldn't be surprised if the original plan was some sort of random encounter arcade mode thing, with the interactions being the reward for getting through different tiers or something
I would be shocked if they didn't plan a story mode for the game. They had to introduce #21 somehow and no matter how throwaway most story modes are in fighting games it's expected, even more with so many casuals grabbing the game.

They might, like you said, have planned something fundamentally different. Although I think they revealed the map system somewhat early in V-Jump.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:02 am

No word on when we could expect gameplay for Bardock & Broly?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:33 am

I did a 2nd version of my Chi-Chi moveset concept for this game...

This time I settled for a more rushdown-heavy style ala Jam Kuradoberi from Guilty Gears, further empathizing her skills as a martial artist and stirring away from gimmicks:

https://dhochoyblog.wordpress.com/2018/ ... e-version/

Is this better than the first attempt?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:20 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:I never understood why Dbz games never took powerscaling into account when making story mode. Not in a nitpicking sense, but if you re-watch the Frieza saga he was so much stronger than the rest of the Z-fighters to the point of absurdity, where no matter what he just looked invincible. Why not have a 3v1 where we actually get to feel like we're battling an absurdly strong monster where we desperately have to throw everything and the kitchen sink at him?

We tried this on Super Smash Bros, where the 3 of us have ourselves the highest handicap possible and we were fighting the antagonist from the Zelda games (3v1 CPU). One hit would literally send us flying and it was really fun to play, and especially satisfying to finally beat him. We called it ''Frieza mode''.
Tenkaichi 2 did this a bit. It had some story mode fights that you were clearly not expected to win (one with Dodoria comes to mind). IIRC, you got some bonus story paths from beating them.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:I never understood why Dbz games never took powerscaling into account when making story mode. Not in a nitpicking sense, but if you re-watch the Frieza saga he was so much stronger than the rest of the Z-fighters to the point of absurdity, where no matter what he just looked invincible. Why not have a 3v1 where we actually get to feel like we're battling an absurdly strong monster where we desperately have to throw everything and the kitchen sink at him?

Tenkaichi 2 did this a bit. It had some story mode fights that you were clearly not expected to win (one with Dodoria comes to mind). IIRC, you got some bonus story paths from beating them.

Beating Broly with Roshi from BT3 as well.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif