Sparking NEO Impressions:

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Sparking NEO Impressions:

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:41 pm

So, I've been playing it since Friday. It's an improvement over Sparking!, but I still feel a bit disappointed. Couple of reasons thus far being (and I'm at 44% completion):

-Story mode. The reenactment of scenes is pretty poor. Corners are cut (Bardock is fighting Freeza...on Namek???), and it feel kinda shabby after seeing the job the Budokai series was capable of. The sagas sometimes just abruptly end.

-Characters. Future Trunks is being trained by Buu saga Gohan? Whose ultimate move is to summon Goten for a combined Kamehameha? Jeez, I can excuse the move, but would it be too much to ask for them to do a skin for Gohan with his father's gi?

So far, it's not a bad game, but not worth full price. Once it hits the $20 range, I'd say go for it. I'll post more once I've finished the entire game.

-Corey

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:51 pm

*Crossing fingers & praying to Kami-sama that the NA version get better half of them half (including the Japanese voices, new, & old music)* Yeah, thanks for the impression. From the vids I've seen of the game, I'm gonna have to agree with ya' on the story mode. However much like Dragon Ball Z 3, the fun for me lied on much of the main mode & asthectics that was put on the game (ie, Cinematic Finishers, Character Rosters, Ki effects, Capsules.....yes I liked the Capsules, Really fast movement as I refuse to say teleportation cause that's just wrong & inaccurate, & Dragon Rush, while annoying, was like a fun little mini game). It seems like this game tends make minor adjustments from the first game. I really like the concept of the first game a lot, but the controls & camera angles were just akward for me.

Which leads me to ask if they improved the camera angles & controls from the first game. Also, is there a damn step by step Training mode like in Dragon Ball Z 3. I hated the first game's video training. It made it hard for me to get a good grasp for the game.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Sparking NEO Impressions:

Post by Leotaku » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:38 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:-Story mode. The reenactment of scenes is pretty poor. Corners are cut (Bardock is fighting Freeza...on Namek???)
Um...what..? :|
That's not a What-If? story by any chance, is it? Or is that actually supposed to be part of the official story?

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:07 pm

Wasn't he fighting on Planet Vegeta on the trailer?
Aw man, don't say that was cut out!

MajinVejitaXV

Re: Sparking NEO Impressions:

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:19 pm

Leotaku wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:-Story mode. The reenactment of scenes is pretty poor. Corners are cut (Bardock is fighting Freeza...on Namek???)
Um...what..? :|
That's not a What-If? story by any chance, is it? Or is that actually supposed to be part of the official story?
No, it's definitely supposed to be canon. Right up to Bardock going after Freeza's ship and Freeza wiping him and his own minions out.

The 'What-If' mode is the last to be unlocked.

-Corey

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:29 pm

What are the What If stories?
Trunks & Goten forever

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:43 pm

From what I've seen of the game so far it doesn't look that much different from BT1. I definitely be picking it up, just not at $75 (£40)

Also, I’m a bit disappointed that #14 and #15 aren't in the game. Aren't they the only major characters that are missing?

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:46 pm

Thanos6 wrote:What are the What If stories?

Spoilers Ahoy:

There is a what if story where Radditz gets amnesia. I thought it was pretty funny. I wish there were more things like it in the game.

DBZ-Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ-Guy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:36 pm

mrkaizoku wrote:
Thanos6 wrote:What are the What If stories?

Spoilers Ahoy:

There is a what if story where Radditz gets amnesia. I thought it was pretty funny. I wish there were more things like it in the game.
Really? That sound awesome. What happened?
Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Jump Ultimate Stars (DS).
Currently obsessed with: Death Note, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Busou Renkin

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:33 pm

Is that the only one? I thought there were more.
Trunks & Goten forever

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:12 pm

Amnesia? XD
Oh I can only imagine what that's like. *Cues cheesy yet amusing soap opera music*
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:16 pm

.....So, I guess you can't answer my question MajinVejitaXV?
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:34 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:Which leads me to ask if they improved the camera angles & controls from the first game. Also, is there a damn step by step Training mode like in Dragon Ball Z 3. I hated the first game's video training. It made it hard for me to get a good grasp for the game.
Eh, the camera and controls seem minorly tweaked but pretty much the same. There is a step by step mode of sorts from what I can tell (I only touched it for a minute or two) wherein the game tells you how to perform certain moves, then puts you in a practice battle where you can try them.

And I'm sorry, I hadn't even looked at the training mode before you asked :P

-Corey

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:31 pm

Just a question, but didn't they have Bardock fighting Freeza on namek in the first game?

Oh, and do all the earlier major enemies (Raditz, Nappa) still have like "Really Crappy Ki Blast Special Attack #2" like in Sparking, or do they actually have real attacks now?
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:32 am

They have unique attacks now.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:09 am

Hao_Kaiser wrote:Just a question, but didn't they have Bardock fighting Freeza on namek in the first game?
I THINK it was What-If? though (I'm not sure). That's partly why I was wondering if that were the same case here when Corey mentioned it.

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:40 am

I'm pretty sure the whole Bardock fighting on Namek thing was that they were just to cheap to make a planet Vegeta stage. :wink:

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:50 am

My only problem with the game is I'm sick of fighting those damn monkeys!

Other than that I think its pretty good. I'm liking the tag team element.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:57 pm

Leotaku wrote:
Hao_Kaiser wrote:Just a question, but didn't they have Bardock fighting Freeza on namek in the first game?
I THINK it was What-If? though (I'm not sure). That's partly why I was wondering if that were the same case here when Corey mentioned it.
Yeah, I think your right, 'cause they had Bardock fighting Goku aswell.

Goodness... crazy illogical what-if battles.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:39 pm

Kula wrote:From what I've seen of the game so far it doesn't look that much different from BT1. I definitely be picking it up, just not at $75 (£40)

Also, I’m a bit disappointed that #14 and #15 aren't in the game. Aren't they the only major characters that are missing?
*cough*Piccolo Daimao and Dr.Whello*cough*.