"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:08 pm

I preodered the game, only put $10 down, but that was mainly for the bonus content. Tbh I dont like the practice as a whole but for some games I dont mind doing it every now and then if i know I'm going to buy the game.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:10 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:55 pm I personally have it preordered on Amazon for the standard edition, which is $10 off from the regular price & still comes with the preorder stuff. If I feel the base game's good enough, I'll get the season pass later. Particularly when it's discounted if that happens first. I remember when Xenoverse 2 came out, I got that piece of shit special edition that had that Goku statue but not the season pass for some reason for over $100, so I'm not getting another special edition DBZ game unless it comes with that. Xenoverse 2 was NOT worth it for that. It also had a steelbook & part of the OST on a CD, but I felt ripped off with the price it was at. If it had the season pass, it would've been actually worth it.

CyberConnect2 usually make good games & the previews look good, as well as I really like DBZ & haven't had a new game for that in almost 4 years, so I'm looking forward to it. I love Action RPGs & need something to tide me over until KHIII's DLC, FFVII Remake, & KH 1.5, 2.5, & 2.8 to be on Xbox One, which might not be until May or June at the earliest, knowing Square, as well as the DLC for KHIII being delayed a month for no reason on Xbox. No joke, though, I'd like to see Square's take on DBZ in an RPG, Action or turn-based. 2020: the year of Action RPGs. Kinda wish Bandai Namco would rerelease the Legacy of Goku & Buu's Fury games on the 3DS virtual console. I have 2 & Buu's Fury, but I'd pay $5-$10 for them again easy.
I'm considering buying a second hand copy in the summer.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:08 pm I preordered the game, only put $10 down, but that was mainly for the bonus content. Tbh I don't like the practice as a whole but for some games I don't mind doing it every now and then if i know I'm going to buy the game.
I understand not liking preordering. I usually save it for games I'm really looking forward to or for studios that have proven themselves consistently capable of churning out good games in the past, which is why I say I'm trusting CyberConnect2 on this one. Though the game's different from the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games, I'm still looking forward to seeing how they present the Z story & what they do for post-release content.
sangofe wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:10 pm I'm considering buying a second hand copy in the summer.
Do what you gotta do. I don't see this game as a "day 1 must buy" for everyone, so if you'd prefer to wait, go ahead.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:42 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:38 pm I understand not liking preordering.
I mostly meant locking content behind preordering, sorry for not being clear.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:45 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:42 pm
Oh. Yeah, that shit's awful. It SUCKS that SS4 Vegeta was locked behind the GameStop preorder DLC codes in Xenoverse 1 for the player to use, which punished the players for not buying it from a certain store for no reason. That should've been published as a standalone download when it was all said & done. His data is a part of the game, but you can't play as him unless you have the unlock for him. At the very least that doesn't happen all the time. My biggest gripe is console exclusive DLC, which punishes players for having a certain console. It makes no sense.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:28 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:45 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:42 pm
Oh. Yeah, that shit's awful. It SUCKS that SS4 Vegeta was locked behind the GameStop preorder DLC codes in Xenoverse 1 for the player to use, which punished the players for not buying it from a certain store for no reason. That should've been published as a standalone download when it was all said & done. His data is a part of the game, but you can't play as him unless you have the unlock for him. At the very least that doesn't happen all the time. My biggest gripe is console exclusive DLC, which punishes players for having a certain console. It makes no sense.
yeah, SS4 Vegeta carries you through the game and then if you didnt get the game from Gamestop, you're basically teased with a character you never can unlock. I can understand early access or something, but otherwise its a really shitty practice.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:59 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:38 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:08 pm I preordered the game, only put $10 down, but that was mainly for the bonus content. Tbh I don't like the practice as a whole but for some games I don't mind doing it every now and then if i know I'm going to buy the game.
I understand not liking preordering. I usually save it for games I'm really looking forward to or for studios that have proven themselves consistently capable of churning out good games in the past, which is why I say I'm trusting CyberConnect2 on this one. Though the game's different from the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games, I'm still looking forward to seeing how they present the Z story & what they do for post-release content.
sangofe wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:10 pm I'm considering buying a second hand copy in the summer.
Do what you gotta do. I don't see this game as a "day 1 must buy" for everyone, so if you'd prefer to wait, go ahead.
The question is : will I be able to get all content that way? And the thing is that I'm so busy with other priorities that I won't be able to play before late may or June..

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:09 am

New trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tHk88 ... Lv6Sxy%3A6.

Surprised they got Kyle Hebert to narrate it over Doc Morgan, but they must really be going for that nostalgia.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:51 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:59 am
The question is : will I be able to get all content that way? And the thing is that I'm so busy with other priorities that I won't be able to play before late may or June..
You won't get a special event having do to with a party of some sort for Goku returning from Yardrat. That's likely it but not sure yet.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 pm

The reliance on Kyle Herbert and that hope of the universe reference scare me. Hope the English script won't be early Funi garbage for nostalgia sake.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:21 pm

omegalucas wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 pm The reliance on Kyle Herbert and that hope of the universe reference scare me. Hope the English script won't be early Funi garbage for nostalgia sake.
What clips have that?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:55 pm

Naruto6583 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:21 pm
omegalucas wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 pm The reliance on Kyle Herbert and that hope of the universe reference scare me. Hope the English script won't be early Funi garbage for nostalgia sake.
What clips have that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tHk88 ... Lv6Sxy%3A6

It's just on the trailer so far. But it's putting up red flags for me.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 pm

omegalucas wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:55 pm
Naruto6583 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:21 pm
What clips have that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tHk88 ... Lv6Sxy%3A6

It's just on the trailer so far. But it's putting up red flags for me.
There's no way to know for sure of course, but I'm banking on the trailer alone being done this way to evoke nostalgia, in a similar way to that Japanese trailer that showcased a boy's memories of watching the show as a child. It's not quite the same in terms of effectiveness, but I think that's what they're going for.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:06 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:51 pm

You won't get a special event having do to with a party of some sort for Goku returning from Yardrat. That's likely it but not sure yet.
I'd have to eventually buy a pre ordered second hand game?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:49 am

So why did they retire Kyle Hebert as a narrator in English? He would fit better for the hype ToP episodes than the current narrator which was fairly, like from the 80s superhero shows.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 am

Xeogran wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:49 am So why did they retire Kyle Hebert as a narrator in English? He would fit better for the hype ToP episodes than the current narrator which was fairly, like from the 80s superhero shows.
They retired him because, for Kai, they wanted it to be more accurate to the Japanese dub, so they went with a more accurate narrator like the ones for DB & One Piece & they kept him for Super. They did the same thing for Battle of Gods with bringing Kyle back as the narrator for that film since it was a nostalgia move for the extended version of the movie with the recap at the beginning. That's not the only recast from Kai that's stuck around, so it's safe to say that they prefer how they have it set up nowadays. Bandai's clearly going for the nostalgia angle here, since they want people to relive their childhoods from when they first originally watched Z. In Japan, they got that ad portraying adults remembering themselves in the 90s watching Z, so they're doing something similar for the US. Shame we're not getting a similar ad to the Japanese, but whatever.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:26 pm

I think I will wait a bit for reviews and to know, without spoilers, if the new story content of the game is worth buying the game for. Most of all, I’m interested in the longevity and if the extra stories are anything of substance that could interest me.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:17 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:06 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:51 pm

I'd have to eventually buy a pre ordered second hand game?
Probably, yeah. Or a copy that still has the code/whatever they use to input the extra story event.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:08 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 pmThere's no way to know for sure of course, but I'm banking on the trailer alone being done this way to evoke nostalgia, in a similar way to that Japanese trailer that showcased a boy's memories of watching the show as a child. It's not quite the same in terms of effectiveness, but I think that's what they're going for.
They must assume that most fans in the West have seen the Toonami version of Z. That "hope of the universe" only caters to dub fans.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:41 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:08 am
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:09 pmThere's no way to know for sure of course, but I'm banking on the trailer alone being done this way to evoke nostalgia, in a similar way to that Japanese trailer that showcased a boy's memories of watching the show as a child. It's not quite the same in terms of effectiveness, but I think that's what they're going for.
They must assume that most fans in the West have seen the Toonami version of Z. That "hope of the universe" only caters to dub fans.
Pretty much. Again, I'm in no way saying it's anywhere near as good or as effective as that amazingly beautiful and touching Japanese ad, but I do believe they're going for the same thing just for very, very different demographics. Once I thought of it in that way, I found it hard to really 'hate' this new ad.

No, what I'm hating is the fact that, as usual, my pre-order isn't expected to get to me until almost a full week after the release, because...reasons, I guess. Bah!
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)