"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:21 pm

Any updates on those DB encyclopedia entries?
sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:31 pm
Brojack wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:32 pm I'm not sure if you're being influenced by being here on this Dragon Ball fan forum but GT is widely considered to be utter garbage compared to the other series. It is complete and utter trash.

Sure they add other characters because it's more content but there'd be a game for it again. Nothing wrong with Super Saiyan 4 Goku being in a game though.

It's like if Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z are the equivalent of Batman and Batman Returns then Dragon Ball GT is the awful Batman and Robin.
This is hardly true.

DBGT, in addition to just having finished airing a re-run on Tokyo MX, which is one of the premiere channels for broadcasting anime, has also recently finished a LAWSON conbini store promotional campaign where they sold various GT-related merchandise. I myself had to go 2 hours away from where I live in Japan simply cause of one of the products was sold out almost everywhere I went.

DBH, arguably the #1 best-selling arcade game in Japan, has had multiple GT-centered missions, including the Evil Dragon Mission series & some God missions before its upgrade to SDBH.

SDBH literally just finished an arc that took place in the GT world, & during that time had its website revamped to half promoting the GT series.

Not to mention the character model they actually updated in SDBH was SS4 Goku: GT w/ UM9-SEC Son Goku: GT. As far as I know at least.

GT has a strong standing in the mainland, as far as I can see. Anybody who claims it is utter garbage compared to the other series is either heavily biased or just speaking out of ignorance.

The primary reason I think that they hold back more GT-related stories is simply cause it is not part of the official history of DB. Super is the canonical sequel to Z, so that's what they push for in a game that tries to be as "canonical" as it can be.

But anyways, if they weren't more GT content, it's not cause ppl think it's utter trash or cause of hilarious fallacious metrics like anime review scores.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:16 pm

Rakurai wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:21 pm Any updates on those DB encyclopedia entries?
sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:31 pm
Brojack wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:32 pm I'm not sure if you're being influenced by being here on this Dragon Ball fan forum but GT is widely considered to be utter garbage compared to the other series. It is complete and utter trash.

Sure they add other characters because it's more content but there'd be a game for it again. Nothing wrong with Super Saiyan 4 Goku being in a game though.

It's like if Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z are the equivalent of Batman and Batman Returns then Dragon Ball GT is the awful Batman and Robin.
This is hardly true.

DBGT, in addition to just having finished airing a re-run on Tokyo MX, which is one of the premiere channels for broadcasting anime, has also recently finished a LAWSON conbini store promotional campaign where they sold various GT-related merchandise. I myself had to go 2 hours away from where I live in Japan simply cause of one of the products was sold out almost everywhere I went.

DBH, arguably the #1 best-selling arcade game in Japan, has had multiple GT-centered missions, including the Evil Dragon Mission series & some God missions before its upgrade to SDBH.

SDBH literally just finished an arc that took place in the GT world, & during that time had its website revamped to half promoting the GT series.

Not to mention the character model they actually updated in SDBH was SS4 Goku: GT w/ UM9-SEC Son Goku: GT. As far as I know at least.

GT has a strong standing in the mainland, as far as I can see. Anybody who claims it is utter garbage compared to the other series is either heavily biased or just speaking out of ignorance.

The primary reason I think that they hold back more GT-related stories is simply cause it is not part of the official history of DB. Super is the canonical sequel to Z, so that's what they push for in a game that tries to be as "canonical" as it can be.

But anyways, if they weren't more GT content, it's not cause ppl think it's utter trash or cause of hilarious fallacious metrics like anime review scores.
I get it. It's the "crying behind smile mask" meme that represents people who pretend to be right and lie to themselves that everyone shares the same opinion. In this case it's the guy trying to make it look like no one likes GT but actually just crying somewhere inside knowing it's just what he wish things were.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:35 pm

I'm still loving how long this game. I'm now around 35 hours into it and only just got to Gohan in high school.

One thing I hate is Bonyu was hyped as hell , I read her backstory online before release , I like her design and ...... It's a holodeck mission given by Android 21 ..... Really? I was hoping for more of a substory as that's what it felt like it was advertised as.

Only other negative is missions that have RNG like getting the golden gazelle antlers. Took waaaaay to long to drop. Same with red crystal.

Now mayjor + for me is we get to see 18 snd krillin's first date. That was an awesome extra mission to add. Vegeta now has an army of cell Jr's 😂 , and small thing but I love the wish amount actually increase with how the dragon balls actually are. I loved seeing piccolo and of king kind of bond over gohan.

Though side note is funny I'm now finally at buu saga. The reason is I got my nephew into dragon ball with Z Kai blurays and loves super (me not so much lol) but I ordered z kai final chapters from Amazon finally (I didn't want to spend that much money on one Saga as all 3 cost most more than all of z Kai but it was cheaper) got 2+3 but 1 is due this week (heater and shops and parts 2+ before they ship 1 lol) so I'll be watching buu again at weekend after playing more buy on game lol funny how that worked out.

I genuinely think this is the best Dragonball game since Budokai 3. Like this game actually makes you care about the big moments again , most games don't as the story is typical fighting style truncated. This however I cared when piccolo made his sacrifice , I cared about the father son kamehameha as it felt huge.

Also bonus points grown up Gohan has same tree , same moves , same experience as he had in previous sagas so it actually feels like he's grown up and feels like he's the same , most others having them separately makes them feel disconnected this actually makes Gohan like the show , where you feel his growth and feel your still with same character. Silly thing to point out I know but it feels special now.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:40 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:04 pm You have to wonder how they'd go about making a sequel. People are already complaining about it being a retelling, so to do yet another one wouldn't fly with a lot of people.

I have no doubt the game has made enough money for it to happen, but how would they go about it? A DB or GT focused game would be great, but I don't see it happening. A Super game maybe, but isn't that going to be DLC for this?
There just isn't enough content left out of this one to justify another one, especially with parts of Super being planned for DLC. There's a chance that this was made with the intention of it being a one off game, for now at least. I wish we could get a game focused on the original DB but that's just wishful thinking.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:12 pm

SSJmole wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:35 pm I'm still loving how long this game. I'm now around 35 hours into it and only just got to Gohan in high school.

One thing I hate is Bonyu was hyped as hell , I read her backstory online before release , I like her design and ...... It's a holodeck mission given by Android 21 ..... Really? I was hoping for more of a substory as that's what it felt like it was advertised as.

Only other negative is missions that have RNG like getting the golden gazelle antlers. Took waaaaay to long to drop. Same with red crystal.

Now mayjor + for me is we get to see 18 snd krillin's first date. That was an awesome extra mission to add. Vegeta now has an army of cell Jr's 😂 , and small thing but I love the wish amount actually increase with how the dragon balls actually are. I loved seeing piccolo and of king kind of bond over gohan.

Though side note is funny I'm now finally at buu saga. The reason is I got my nephew into dragon ball with Z Kai blurays and loves super (me not so much lol) but I ordered z kai final chapters from Amazon finally (I didn't want to spend that much money on one Saga as all 3 cost most more than all of z Kai but it was cheaper) got 2+3 but 1 is due this week (heater and shops and parts 2+ before they ship 1 lol) so I'll be watching buu again at weekend after playing more buy on game lol funny how that worked out.

I genuinely think this is the best Dragonball game since Budokai 3. Like this game actually makes you care about the big moments again , most games don't as the story is typical fighting style truncated. This however I cared when piccolo made his sacrifice , I cared about the father son kamehameha as it felt huge.

Also bonus points grown up Gohan has same tree , same moves , same experience as he had in previous sagas so it actually feels like he's grown up and feels like he's the same , most others having them separately makes them feel disconnected this actually makes Gohan like the show , where you feel his growth and feel your still with same character. Silly thing to point out I know but it feels special now.
Speaking of Gohan in high school... How's the baseball? I remember seing screen shots of that but nobody ever talked about playing it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Baseball is just a mini-game where you have to time the strike when the ball is thrown to you. There are more difficulties, starting from Sharpner, then Yamcha, 18 and Vegeta as the most difficult. There’s also a score record of various characters and how far their home-runs were, and of course the goal would be to beat the highest score.

It’s nothing too special, and gets stale pretty fast, but it’s a nice addition.
I hoped we could have had similar stuff for King Kai’s training, in particular the training for the Genkidama where Goku had to hit rocks, or also a mini-sequence of Snake Way running.
It’s also a bummer that there’s no training mini-game at all. Levelling up in this game is all about fighting and completing missions. It’s boring. The post-game in general is quite disappointing, it would have been nice if they put some very hard requirement in order to unlock Gotenks and then Vegetto as playable characters, just to artificially increase this game’s longevity. Sort of like Buu’s Fury which required you to collect all the Z-Exhibits to unlock Gogeta.

The foundation of this game is very solid, so I wish they will make a sequel that builds upon it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:46 pm

This game is just awesome, I'm still fighting Freeza, how is that possible? almost a week in and I'm still far from half of Z. I'm getting ready for a lackluster android saga, though.

About future games or improvements, I think the first step to start including DB would be showing Goku's fight vs Piccolo. They are introduced as rivals, but that dynamic is never really seen. The same happened to me when watching Z for the first time, Piccolo is supposse to be a bad guy, THE enemy of Goku but it all disappears pretty soon, and only when watching DB that made sense.
To enhance the weight of Goku and Piccolo actually having to team up vs Raditz, too. I don't understand why devs always skipped that fight, it was great and it's ramifications are continued in Z. It'd also be a slight, refreshing change to the Raditz to Buu scenario that people are so tired of.

So, they are reluctunt to have kid Goku? fine. At least give us adult Goku from the beginning. Open up from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, so we can see just what kind of a threat Piccolo was. And give the Z-senshi a little more to do because we know they sort of retire after the saiyan saga.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 pm

I have only played the first introduction to baseball so 1 hit to ball only. But from what emperior said sounds great!

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:32 pm

I am personally loving the game. Graphics are great, not as good as Fighterz but still fantastic as I would say they are the second best in the entire pantheon of Dragon Ball games. Voice acting is tremendous (I play dubbed), Sean Shemmel, Chris Sabat, Sonny Straight, Christopher Ayres, and everyone else truly bring it and deliver their lines with quality.

Game play is luckily really good, every mechanic is fully realized with none so far seeming tacked on. The community system is simple but pretty fun. Dragon Balls however are lack luster but I don't know if I could think of a better way to do them, maybe just increase the cool down?

Combat is really engaging and all the moves are enjoyably executed. Combos while minimal are decent and fluent. However kind of wished I could fight on the ground, minor gripe however. The constant enemies that attack me can be rather annoying at times but their easy enough to avoid but still hearing the same audio clip of Piccolo saying "Looks like somebody wants to die" can get tiresome.

However my main issue with the game is, it isn't nearly as enjoyable as the show. The cut scenes are gorgeous and just so vibrant, but short. Every incredible moment from the anime is rushed through. The death of the Z fighters against Nappa (Chiaotzu especially like it's so fast), Goku and Vegeta beam struggle, the first SSJ transformation, all these moments just are shallow copies of their former self. However I like the added detail of Piccolo rushing to protect Gohan, seeing him stagger and falling is honestly really sweet and adds to the moment. I understand it's a game and not a show and that cut scenes can't be so long but then playing the story isn't a good alternative to experiencing the story. I have just finished the Frieza saga and am too busy to continue playing sadly but I am interested in playing more as the games been a blast.

P.S I heard Mira is a secret boss, is there any more?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Daman Mills is credited for dubbed Freeza in this game.

I want to both echo the annoyance of the "looks like someone wants to die"-esque quotes out of every character endlessly on loop as you burst on flying by across the map, and state for the record that the "A Competitive Party With Friends" vehicle race thing is the absolute worst good loooooooooooooooooooooord. I was thinking "man, I wish they had more clever minigames instead of just making me watch the show that I've already watched" but nooooooooooooope nevermind.

(More to come later. Probably via podcast. Thoughts-aplenty.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:30 pm

Finished the game almost to 100% of completion so I can recap a bit of the positive points and negative points according to my own experience, which was a pretty good one despite the noticeable flaws.

Although there are more negative points than positive here, my overall experience was still pretty good despite what it may suggest and actually much more positive than negative.
I think it's a good first try and I can't wait for further refinements in updates or sequels to get rid of the flaws.

+ The 35 special custcenes using maximum graphics beyond the in-game engine are pretty nice, and some of them downright impressive to watch! These are the prerendered videos you can watch at will on your notebook, and they make you wish the rest of the cutscenes were like that.

+ Having the sense of actually "living the life" of these heroes with every in-between moments. With hours spent with them living your everyday life as well as the extraordinary events that make up most of the show, it does give you a new perspective on what they're living and on how each "era" echoes how you feel about "eras" in your life when growing up, with appearances and situations changing for everyone you know over years. It has an immersive feeling that's unusual for a Dragon Ball game.

+ Beginner friendly as far as knowing the franchise go. Things are arranged so that somebody who doesn't know about DB and wants to dive into it can get a good sense of the overall plot (at least for the Z/Kai part).

+ Interesting encyclopedia that takes in account even the most recent bits of information and some new ones as well (albeit rarely), relationship charts and real-world cards to collect (and remind you of your childhood for those who had some of these cards in real life) with some of them even having tentative colors from back then that don't fit the show's definitive colors.

+ Some sidequests are based on interesting storyline ideas.

- Few variety of mini-games or extra activities when there could have been easily more, and these mini-game are very basic and not that interesting.

- A bunch of sidequest are based on uninteresting or farfetched ideas. Sometimes, we're not too far from "Today, I feel like eating a pizza, can you reunite the ingredients for me and then find me a kitchen to cook it?". Sure, I probably have nothing better to do with my time...

- There are three kinds of cutscenes. The 35 prerendered super-cutscenes are pretty nice and sometimes "wow"-inducing. Then, the common kind of prerendered cutscenes to avoid loading times or display complex models/places (or high in number) and animations that couldn't be easily displayed in-game (you can recognize these scenes because they have to use timed subtitles instead of dialogue boxes and they are not rendered in 4K but in regular HD to save some disc space). These are usually okay, nothing special but serviceable. But the most basic kind of cutscenes, the in-game ones using dialogue boxes, are often terribly static and uninspiring. It's a shame, but I guess it would be too much content to have every single cutscene carefully crafted, it's a huge story after all!

- No costume change. It's normal during the main story because it has to be coherent with the numerous prerendered cutscenes, but once in free roam mode after the story, it should be available. Everybody loves choosing their favorite appearance.

- Unlockable screen caps are limited to the original DB.

- Some whole parts completely skipped when they could have been included as fights or mini-games (Goku in his spaceship, Trunks against Cell...). It's weird that some parts feel mostly complete or even expanded upon while others are like "skip this chapter" for a game that clearly aims at being a complete "live their lives" experience. Weird.

- Some unnecessary expansions included in the main story that clearly buy some time while not being particularly useful to the plot or to the attachment to characters.

- Few variety of common enemies. RR robots and Saibaimen.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 pm

I knew they were going to include the modern DB haha the tears of the haters are delicious :lol:

anyway include DB OG would be great
GT may have material in principle in the space
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:30 pm
Zinnia wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:18 pm
Brojack wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:01 am And yes GT is absolute garbage, nothing redeeming about that series at all. I thought that was widely acknowledged by now.
Stop your hate boner. And no, it isn't "widely acknowledged", which is why games like Legends, Xenoverse, FighterZ continue with adding GT. The series has it's loyal fanbase and it's bigger than you would expect.

"Nothing redeeming" says who? I watched it and liked it myself.
Thank you.

But I don’t want this to devolve into another GT Debate thread

Super stuff has been datamined fully now.

I’m gonna try to get a refund for the season pass. No interest in that stuff.
He doesn't like something and you doesn't like something what is the difference ...?
It is not that he is not allowed to say what ... you are also saying it
Zinnia wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:18 pm
Brojack wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:01 am And yes GT is absolute garbage, nothing redeeming about that series at all. I thought that was widely acknowledged by now.
Stop your hate boner. And no, it isn't "widely acknowledged", which is why games like Legends, Xenoverse, FighterZ continue with adding GT. The series has it's loyal fanbase and it's bigger than you would expect.

"Nothing redeeming" says who? I watched it and liked it myself.
I, he and many people ... but each one has a different opinion
Grimlock wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:56 pm
Brojack wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:56 pmThe storylines sucked, the old characters were butchered, the new characters were horrific, the fights were forgettable, the animation was poor, the tone was childish, the power scaling was all over the place etc.
Sounds Dragon Ball Super. Why are you describing Dragon Ball Super?
they describing dragon ball heroes

seriously don't choose sides ... because it literally seems double moral

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:39 am

I'm amazed with the namek experience. The whole saga is pretty much there, I felt in that damn planet, what this guys did with the whole genki dama and Freeza destroying the core stuff was great, I'm in love with this game so far. Even the difficulty for me has been more than ok.

10/10 so far. I know I'm in for a big let down with the androids saga, but with a first part of the game this good, I don't think a care that much.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:59 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 pm*snip*
Are you using a translator? I can barely understand your posts. Also, knock it off already. All I was saying was this wasn't the place to start GT debates, okay? Read more carefully next time.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:03 am

I agree the side missions are very boring and uninteresting for the most part. Also they are like 10% gameplay and 90% loading times.
I would like to replay this game, this time trying to rush it to see if without a bit of grinding it is as easy as it was for me in the 1st run, but until they fix the loading times issues I won’t bother.

I too wished we could have had some ground fights and deeper combos. Maybe for a sequel? Hopefully if they still stick to the “no Kid Goku stuff” they at least include the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi, but I wish that next time the game will begin with Kid Goku fishing - and hopefully the standard enemies will no longer be just robots, Saibamen, Freeza soldiers and Babidi’s grunts.

And as for the control scheme of this game... man was it super weird at first. It took me ages to figure out how to fly well. Was it that hard to have L1 as the fly down and R1 as the fly up?

Also I see no one mentioning how ridiculous Bandai Namco’s promotional campaign was. I think they basically spoiled more than half of this game’s cutscenes in advance, didn’t they? I unfortunately saw some of them before playing, but I expected there being much more to the game if they were willing to spoil that stuff.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:49 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:39 am 10/10 so far. I know I'm in for a big let down with the androids saga, but with a first part of the game this good, I don't think a care that much.
You think that because there were some people saying that the Cell saga was not as good as the others, right? I particularly liked it, Kakarot still represents this arc better than any other DB game (the main cutscenes are some of the best in the game). It's just sad not to have playable Super Trunks (although I understand why)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:15 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:49 am
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:39 am 10/10 so far. I know I'm in for a big let down with the androids saga, but with a first part of the game this good, I don't think a care that much.
You think that because there were some people saying that the Cell saga was not as good as the others, right? I particularly liked it, Kakarot still represents this arc better than any other DB game (the main cutscenes are some of the best in the game). It's just sad not to have playable Super Trunks (although I understand why)
Yes, well, mainly because I heard some parts of the story were skipped like Super Trunks vs Cell and something about SS Vegeta IIRC too, which startled me because we have fake fights like Gohan vs Dodoria or Goku fighting Raditz instead of just getting the knee. Also the fact that unlike in Namek, the Cell Games stage suffers no change.
But I know that no matter how not-great it might be, it should be much better than most games. What they did with Namekusei I've never seen in any other game.

Oh, and the next-episode-on-DBZ-stuff after the end of an arc is sooooo satisfying

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:32 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:15 amI heard some parts of the story were skipped like Super Trunks vs Cell and something about SS Vegeta IIRC too.
The Trunks fight is the only thing that was skipped. Everything else from the arc (from what I remember anyway) is there.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:46 am

Out of 36 cutscenes (35 without the opening) the Androids arc only has 4 of those.
Yes the only fight which was skipped is the Trunks vs Cell one, but it’s undoubtedly the arc which received less love of them all and fan-favorite scenes like Vegeta’s Final Flash and Goku’s Instant Kamehameha were left out. Not to mention how bad Vegeta’s Big Bang attack was.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:36 pm

emperior wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:03 am hopefully the standard enemies will no longer be just robots, Saibamen, Freeza soldiers and Babidi’s grunts.
this is my biggest issue. Fighting these enemies give little to no experience and its the same 4 enemy types over and over. And when they lock onto you, the character says "I can take this" or w/e it just gets annoying after a while.