What games use the kaioken as a risk/reward skill instead of a generic power up?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

What games use the kaioken as a risk/reward skill instead of a generic power up?

Post by Jord » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:04 am

I really like the Kaioken in the anime and I think it's a shame it was basically gone after Namek. What I specifically like about it is the risk/reward aspect meaning you have to take your chances and can't just spam it.

However in most video games it's just a powered up state without any risk (see: Budokai games) or it is more like a super move (as seen in FighterZ). One game in which it IS a risk/reward thing is in Super Gokuden 2 on the Super Famicon/Snes where you sacrifice a bit of health to MASSIVELY increase your power. However, due to the game multiplies your power and the low health it costs it's extremely exploitable. However it does use Kaikoken in a way reminiscent of the series

Are there any other games that use Kaikoken like this?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What games use the kaioken as a risk/reward skill instead of a generic power up?

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:46 pm

Xenoverse 2. Kaio-ken x3 and Kaio-ken x20 consume a lot of stamina, mainly the latter.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: What games use the kaioken as a risk/reward skill instead of a generic power up?

Post by Jord » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:46 pm Xenoverse 2. Kaio-ken x3 and Kaio-ken x20 consume a lot of stamina, mainly the latter.
What do you get in return? Just power?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:03 pm

In Super Dragon Ball Z, it gave you one bar of the special gauge meter at the cost of some health. In Tenkaichi, it significantly increased your attack power but it drained ki with no way of replenishing it.

All the games have a unique approach to it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, an RPG, had it so it doubled every one of your stats besides HP & Ki... For 2 Turns. After that, it wore off, took off 10% percent of your max health, and incapacitated Goku for a few turns. The only way to make it viable was to either...

1) Use it only when you know you're about to win.

2) Equip an accessory called "Head-Cha-La", which made you immune to status ailments. That meant that Goku wouldn't be put into stun! He'd just lose the 10% of max HP.

So, pretty creatively balanced, all things considered!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:25 pm

XV2 has a Kaioken that consumes your health bar in exchange of augmented speed, melee and ki based damage.

The best example is SSB KKx10, life goes out the window like hell but every blow is devastating, and if you fail to deliver you die. I have read analysis regarding just how much stronger SSBKK makes you, I don't recall much more of it, nor can I produce a link.

Like someone else already stated, the lesser versions of KK (x2, x3, x20, that is the Z versions) consume stamina instead of health, and IIRC the damage you can deal with kaioken isn't that much, I would go as far as to say it is indistinguishable.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:54 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:25 pm XV2 has a Kaioken that consumes your health bar in exchange of augmented speed, melee and ki based damage.

The best example is SSB KKx10, life goes out the window like hell but every blow is devastating, and if you fail to deliver you die. I have read analysis regarding just how much stronger SSBKK makes you, I don't recall much more of it, nor can I produce a link.

Like someone else already stated, the lesser versions of KK (x2, x3, x20, that is the Z versions) consume stamina instead of health, and IIRC the damage you can deal with kaioken isn't that much, I would go as far as to say it is indistinguishable.
It does give you speed boost (the higher the form, the more speed), but you also take more damage as well.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Nobody has mentioned still my beloved DRAGON BALL ONLINE (DBO), the full-of-Toriyama-input 2010's MMO for Asia markets.

Attack power: +20%
Critical hit chance: Multiplied per power up level of Kaio-Ken.
Attack speed: Doubled and is static.
Movement Speed: Approximately 1.5x faster.
LP: -115 LP multiplied per power up level of Kaio-Ken every 4 seconds
EP: -150 EP every 4 seconds.

As you can see, Kaioken can be activated many times, each time draining more LP (life points, aka HP in other games) and getting easier critical hits.