"Jump Ultimate Stars" Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

"Jump Ultimate Stars" Discussion

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:10 pm

Remember that we have a specific thread for sharing your friend codes to play online!

As with all the new games that come out, share your thoughts. Personally, I'm digging the new system for unlocking characters. I didn't dislike the first game's, but I also enjoy this one. The characters definitely feel different than they previously, did. I found myself accidentally flying out of a stage with Goku's DOWN+Y attack way too often :P.

It's nice to be able to use some high-level characters early on in the game; it makes completing some of the objectives a little more tolerable (rather than forgetting about them until you've already beaten the game and realize you still have to go back and beat that one objective in a stage somewhere).

Anyway, yeah. I've beaten the first nine stages and I'm about to complete the Kinnikuman world. Much fun!
Last edited by VegettoEX on Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:00 am

I know this thread is for impressions of the game, but I figured this would be the right place to ask & I'm considering getting a Nintendo DS Lite this weekend, now that I have a job & getting my first payroll this weekend. Any chance if anyone's seen this game in retails here in the US since Best Buy has been putting out some DS Imports?
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Sasuke_Chidori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sasuke_Chidori » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:39 pm

I hate to say it, but I hear that Best Buy might not get this game for a long time. My friend said he checked the system, but there was no "Jump Ultimate Stars" located. I'm almost ready to post my review of the game. I beat the game, just got a few objectives to go. I don't really need a translation..but my japanese is getting a little rough. Only had to use the gamefaqs.com guide twice. Oh and yes, that new unlocking system is awesome :) I got 8 level Goku(Or should I say Vegito?) before beating the game. I hated how you had to wait untill the end of the game untill getting your favorite charecter. Now I can just use my gems to level up charecters. Heck of a lot easier than matching random panels for a few series I had no idea about..(Never really read those female/male mangas like I''s..) Since my username is "SasukeChidori", I might as well post about Sasuke...if you see me on an online match, your probably going to see me playing as Sasuke for at least one of those rounds :D One of my favorite charecters in the game period. :wink:
PLAY B3YOND.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:45 pm

I'm loving the game so far, but the combat seems a bit slower and floaty. Like trying to move down on platforms is much slower than JSS unless I press down and a again. However, I feel that I'll get used to it.

The koma unlocking system is MUCH better than the previous game's. I'm glad to have a 6 koma Goku early in the start. :)

Sasuke_Chidori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sasuke_Chidori » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:55 pm

I know what you mean when you say "slower and floaty". It really is, but I love it. It has(overall..) better quality animation for each charecter.
PLAY B3YOND.

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:08 am

I just started playing today and I love it.
I make sure I do the 5 objectives before I move on (lots of trial and error) and I sometimes get an SP objective. I just beat Space Adventure Cobra, so I am only up to there. Fun ass game though.
Does anyone else get the occasional slow-downs?

I also noticed that with some of the things on the evolution koma section thingy. If it is from a random series where you haven't gone to the world of yet (wow bad sentence, I am tired)... they usually need 400 of the purple one and it opens up more worlds.
- Life is a game, play it!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:15 am

EvilGamerX wrote:Does anyone else get the occasional slow-downs?
Yes. And it's a *huge* blow to the otherwise awesomeness of the game.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:44 pm

Actually I've had next to no slowdown.

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:49 pm

When you guys say "slow down", do you mean lag or the fighting system is a bit broken?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:13 pm

It gets slightly laggy when there are too many things going on at the same time. For me, it's been particularly bad with lots of bombs and explosions.

Note that this isn't even talking about online play... this is single-player.

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:36 pm

The fucking teammate in some of these missions is driving me insane. There is that icy level in space. One of the objectives is to get 8 more points than team B. It would be nice if my other team member would join me on the bottom level so when an enemy is hit off, they won't recover on a lower ground. Also, every time I am about to get a box or something, Naruto throws his shuriken at it and knocks it off.

Oh, and on the time things where you can't get hit for a certain amount of time, I literally went to the upper left corner, put my DS down, made a sandwich, and came back to see that I beat all the objectives.

EDIT: Wow what a short game, I beat and unlocked everything (well I think i did... can't find anything online about something I didn't get...) and I only received it yesterday. o.o

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:22 pm

Got mine 2 days ago and I've been playing to beat all the objectives before I move on. I'm impressed thusfar... It's really fun and I like the new koma unlocking system. Oh, and I haven't had any lag during the fights.

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:25 pm

The old way was fun. This is kinda annoying. I constantly ran out of the yellow objects which was a pain.
And I get the extras through the quizzes.... my record is 13 for the 50 question one >_<

Sasuke_Chidori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sasuke_Chidori » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:58 pm

My record is 15 for the 50 question quiz, 7 for the medium level quiz, and 3 for the 10 question quiz... :oops:

I have been enjoying this game a lot. We need to all set up a day to battle online. Especially after I want to try my gear 3 luffy skills. I don't see the point in stealing other's decks. It ruins the surprise of earning a character yourself. Besides, you can't use it in wi-fi mode. I guess the cool thing is that they get added to your ranking mode data on the game, but besides that, you'll probably only see these random people once.(I've seen a person twice though...) Anyone played as Boo or Freeza? They rock. How do you do those recovery special things? The ones in the videos where you regain health or energy? Thanks in advance.

-Sasuke
PLAY B3YOND.

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:21 pm

Hold select for each character's recovery or w/e thing. What the hell does 8 koma Luffy's do? Also for 8 Koma Luffy.... is it me, or did they write ギア  instead of 3 in the description for when you select the koma?

I have DS -> Nintendo wi-fi probs
Probably because my PC is stupid

My quiz records
5/10, 13/30, 18/50

Also, if you just press one button for the whole quiz. You get about 11 right for the 50 question one.

By the way, the DB question where the answers are
LOVE!!
PEACE!!
HOPE!!
WIN!!

The answer is HOPE!!

Sasuke_Chidori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sasuke_Chidori » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:49 pm

They Wrote "2" for Gear 2 Luffy, and "3" for Gear 3 Luffy unfortunately. You can get Gear two and three easily by drawing the Shanks pattern during the start up of the game.(I didn't do this though.) Thanks a lot for the help on the special thing. Dang, I never would have figured that out :D I stopped reading One Piece as frequently as I used to, but he basically has "Gum Gum Storm" for his specials. Of course he has his trademark Jump Ultimate Stars "Stomp" :P (I know, this stomp was in the series but it's way overused in both 2 and 3 gear Luffy.)
PLAY B3YOND.

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:13 am

I completed all the missions and everything, I have it unlocked. It says 2. Picture time. Maybe it is supposed to. It is Gear 3rd though, so you would think it would say ギア 3。

Sasuke_Chidori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sasuke_Chidori » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:53 am

Oh, I see what you mean now. Thats pretty interesting. My favorite charecter in the game is 4-koma nami of one piece...she can steal special bars and she is a good sweeper for when you get out your stronger charecters.
PLAY B3YOND.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:59 am

I've been playing it for a good week now and I am LOVING it! Granted as a fan of Shaman King and Kenshin I'm disappointed at the lack of new stuff but all the other series I like have gotten lots of new stuff which is great.

I love the gem system though I have heard it can be hard to get gems once mission is completed.

I've not tried WiFi yet as I don't have it working in my house but I intend to get the adaptor soon.

And I love how transformations are now permanent bar a few like Allen's Crowned Clown (I think it's Up and X for his six Koma) and Yusuke’s.

I’ve got a few more things I want to do before I give it a full review though.

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:03 pm

Using 7 Koma Don Patch in Eyeshield 21 world, mission 2 will get you at LEAST 200 red gems (250 if you don't suck) like it was nothing. Be sure to finish people off with specials.