Budokai 2 - NGC

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Budokai 2 - NGC

Post by Ash » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:18 am

Budokai 3 is just about 2 months away from releasedate, and what pops up? A Budokai 2 for the GameCube >.>

http://cube.ign.com/articles/547/547324p1.html

Hmmm, I'm gonna skip this one. Unless it has the JP OP/JP voices/V-Jump extra's. Budokai 3 looks a lot better than 2, and from what've heard, Dragon Mode is really, really boring.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:41 am

I'll be Damned. I just said the other day that this wouldn't happen since we'd not heard about it yet. Heh, good thing I never said anything about eating my shorts. ^^
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:22 am

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=220478

GameStop listing. $19.99, scheduled for 28/12/04 [And yes, I use the European style of date listing]

Not very expensive. But who would buy the game for a higher price, with Budokai 3 released? >.~
Last edited by Ash on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:48 am

If the Game Cube version has a 4 player mode in Dragon World and World Tournment, I might consider it. I got a few friends whom I know would enjoy that.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:04 pm

That's a pretty good price; but if nothing's changed from it's PS2 counter part, I can't see any reason to bother. Now if it has Kuriza, Coola, and the extra costumes from DBZ2, then that's another story.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:33 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:That's a pretty good price; but if nothing's changed from it's PS2 counter part, I can't see any reason to bother. Now if it has Kuriza, Coola, and the extra costumes from DBZ2, then that's another story.
beat me to it! lol! That's exactly how I feel! I'm dying to fight with a CAPED PICCOLO! ^_^

goten_1000

Post by goten_1000 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:52 pm

All I have to say is...................finally.
I've been waiting for this to come out on the 'Cube for ages.
Proper Sig Coming Soon

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:02 pm

I've heard this before, so I'm going to be an old cynic and wait until I actually see screenshots before I believe it.

Still, it's about damn time. Now all we've got to do is wait another year before we get Budokai 3.

Arseholes.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:20 am

Proly takes forever to port the game to such a tiny disc!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:57 am

Now that i think of it... They can't really improve on the graphics like they did for Budokai 1, right? So the only thing to make it appealing to fans that already own the PS2 version would be Kuriza and the V-Jump bonuses.

And whatever happened to Busokai on Xbox? I distinctly remember reading about it going to the Xbox sometime last year on the official magazine... wonder what happened... I guess it all went down the crapper.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:15 pm

Izlude wrote:Proly takes forever to port the game to such a tiny disc!
I know you're probably joking, but the Gamecube discs are about 1.5 gig in size, which is more than enough for the majority of PS2 games. But if we really want to check, someone stick their PS2 copy of Budokai 2 in their PC and see how much space it takes up. Then we'll know if there's going to be any spare room for extras.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:19 am

I'm not surprised this is going to happen, but it's a shame it's likely to be a straight port of the PS2 version. Although unlikely a few extras would be nice (the Japanise version had some extras, which they could perhaps add to the GC version, even though it's unlikely).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:48 am

If I remember correctly, Budokai 2 is only a little over a gig in size. Bootleggers simply reduce the audio's bitrate to fit the thing on a regular 700 MB disc, even. Easily GameCube-able.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote:If I remember correctly, Budokai 2 is only a little over a gig in size. Bootleggers simply reduce the audio's bitrate to fit the thing on a regular 700 MB disc, even. Easily GameCube-able.
So proficient in the art of bootleggin'...

I KEED!

But yeah you're right, and a Gamecube disc of 1.5 gigs as Psy-Liam pointed out means absolutely no worries.

But I'm wondering, since Budokai 2 was over regular CD size, does that mean that it was actually a DVD-ROM game? And if so, wasn't that a waste of resources?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:20 pm

In what way? Do you mean because they didn't fill up the DVD? It would have been more wasteful to fill it up "just because the space was there".

Or do you mean that they could have compressed it and put it on a CD? All PS2 games are released on DVD, no matter the size. PS2 production facilities are geared up to produce DVDs.

And I don't know the actual figures, but I bet the price difference between printing a CD and printing a DVD is next to nothing. The actual cost of the media is already an insignificant portion of the price.

It's not like it would be any quicker on a CD, anyway.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:00 pm

PsyLiam wrote:In what way? Do you mean because they didn't fill up the DVD? It would have been more wasteful to fill it up "just because the space was there".

Or do you mean that they could have compressed it and put it on a CD? All PS2 games are released on DVD, no matter the size. PS2 production facilities are geared up to produce DVDs.

And I don't know the actual figures, but I bet the price difference between printing a CD and printing a DVD is next to nothing. The actual cost of the media is already an insignificant portion of the price.

It's not like it would be any quicker on a CD, anyway.
Well, I coulda sworn that "DVD-ROM" games on PS2 were special.

My source must have meant PS-One discs.

So yeah, I meant they could have put it on a CD, but if all PS2 games are on DVD, then never mind.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:13 pm

Actually, not all PS2 games are on DVD... Marvel Vs Capcom 2, if I'm not mistaken, was released on CD.

I'm sure this is somewhat irrevelant, but what the hell.
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:13 pm

Endishiki wrote:Actually, not all PS2 games are on DVD... Marvel Vs Capcom 2, if I'm not mistaken, was released on CD.

I'm sure this is somewhat irrevelant, but what the hell.
Well I'm gonna investigate this now, because I was darn sure some companies cut costs this way.

EDIT #1: An interesting snippet:
PS2 games come in 2 formats:

CD-Rom & DVD-Rom

Each original PS2 disc will have either CD-Rom or DVD-Rom stamped on the disc lable and printed on the covers another way to tell is by lookin at the bottom of the disc, a PS2 Cd-Rom is blue and a PS2 DVD-Rom is silver.
EDIT #2:
http://www.allps2.com/

This site has most PS2 Back Covers, and some of them lack the DVD-Rom logo pasted on Budokai 2. I don't know if this necessarily means anything, but it could be important.

EDIT #3:

Upon further investigation of that site, it seems like while some of those covers could be relevant, some actually are resized Dreamcast covers, among other things.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:29 pm

My copy of Budokai 2 has a DVD-ROM logo on the back. So it appears to be a DVD. Wonder why it didn't show on the site?

Also, the PS2 received a number of Dreamcast ports, which would explain the reused covers.
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:32 pm

Endishiki wrote:My copy of Budokai 2 has a DVD-ROM logo on the back. So it appears to be a DVD. Wonder why it didn't show on the site?

Also, the PS2 received a number of Dreamcast ports, which would explain the reused covers.
Well, that's be fine if it weren't stretched vertically and advertised for Dreamcast accessories like the VGA box, Jump Pack, and Arcade Stick.

And about Budokai 2 not having the logo, I'm pretty sure they're using the Budokai 1 back cover.

Now I wonder why I even posted that site.