The most epic Japanese piece of music in DBZ?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

The most epic Japanese piece of music in DBZ?

Post by cRookie_Monster » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Just curious what you guys think this is? My upcoming album is called "Have Some Epic" and I figure it's about time I give the Japanese score some real love. I can try and do something in a similar vein.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Re: The most epic Japanese piece of music in DBZ?

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGm5GG9UqIg

From 5:06 to the end of the video. It just rings to me as the perfect fight song between Goku and Piccolo, and it's by far my favorite Japanese piece in DBZ.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:49 pm

While I didn't like everything about the Japanese score, here are some tracks that stood out to me as being "epic": The Artificial Humans Go To Town, The Monster Freeza vs. The Legendary Super Saiyan and The Cell Games Which Summon Death

Sorry if that's not what your looking for, Scott. That's about as "epic" as the Japanese score is going to get.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:12 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:The Artificial Humans Go To Town
The track that starts at 2:30 is one of my favorite BGM tracks, and it also has my vote for one of the most epic tracks.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:34 pm

The best tune from the Japanese score is the one that plays as soon as Goku comes out of the rejuvination chamber in Freeza's ship, and tells everyone to wait for his arrival.
It starts off with a "Dun dun dun."

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:36 pm

Genki Dama -- When this was used as the background for when Goku arrived on Namek, it became the most epic DBZ music in my mind.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:57 pm

Kendamu wrote:Genki Dama -- When this was used as the background for when Goku arrived on Namek, it became the most epic DBZ music in my mind.
Definitely, man, I freakin' love that tune.
Which of the Z-movies was it used in, if any? Movie 3?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 am

Pretty much every piece used in the Japanese score is uniquely intense and atmospheric, except some of the little cutsie tunes used in Dragon Ball and in the first arc of DBZ. This is one of the reasons why the Kikuchi score is so vastly superior to the emotionally-deprived techno-rock drivel from the dub score, it sounds heartfilled and creates a force in the atmosphere of the show.

I cannot think of a better example than the main suite for movie 9, "Ginga girigiri!! Bucchigiri sugoi yatsu", especially the part that plays in the final showdown between Gohan and Bojack. They use thie particular piece in the Buu arc of the TV series, to much the same effect, though perhaps not as fresh.

You can find the scene it's used in here (go to about 1:20). It has this great build up to it.

But really, there are countless examples of truly great pieces.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

This is a suite containing most of the music from movie 1. I'd say any of it is awesome, but my favorite is around 6:15, where it escalates with the large trumpet fanfare-ish part.

And, my personal favorite BGM of Kikuchi's is the score for Movie 13, which, since it was the last movie, wasn't really used in the TV series. Here's the suite for that score. From about 3:58 onwards is amazing. My single favorite piece from the entire series.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:35 am

This is just me, but the most epic piece of music in DBZ has to be the piece that plays in the background after Goku turns Super Saiyan for the first time, as Goku is telling Freeza "I am the hope of the universe" in the English dub. Probably coming in second would be -- from that same episode -- the piece of music right after Freeza kills Krillin and at that point Goku turns Super Saiyan. (Pretty much all of "The Monster Freeza vs. The Super Saiyan of Legend", right there.)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:25 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:This is a suite containing most of the music from movie 1. I'd say any of it is awesome, but my favorite is around 6:15, where it escalates with the large trumpet fanfare-ish part.
Cool thanks guys for all the suggestions! :) I think I hear some potential in this one. I might mix it with the kinda disco beat I hear in some of the others, but in a much more aggressive way. I can hear modernizing a lot of the sounds in there :) If the old timey kinda sound these have is part of the charm for you guys in these pieces, you may not like what I do with it.

The kinda epic I'm generally looking for is more like this:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8856440 (like the opening, 3:35, or 6:40 to the end)
- Scott

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:15 pm

Epic meaning long? Or epic meaning momentous? I think the whole Z movie 1 score is pretty damn good.

LilLinks Sasha

Post by LilLinks Sasha » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 pm

大荒野
Dai-Kôya
A Great Wilderness

Simply amazing.
“Won’t you show me just why you call yourself The Great Saiya-Man?” - Temple O' Trunks pick up lines. ;)
Sasha ^^

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u7Q4NNKDtY
Most favourite/epic battle music ever from 00-30.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Epic music from Movie 3.
M1021 (at 6:20). It starts out sounding all pretty like, but the later half in definitely epic, though short.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Nice idea, I'm going to rework some of those unreleased tracks from Taopaipai andUranai Baba arc.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Most of the songs from DBZ Movie 1, although it gradually becomes harder to find more after that. I'd also say the theme that plays in Movie 6 when all of the Metal Coolers are running towards Goku and Vegeta, too.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:15 am

Without a doubt, the theme of the Genki-Dama.
It just sends shivers throughout my body whenever I hear it. It's beautiful, filled with hope, and surprisingly epic as it goes on.
"Everyone, please! Give me your energy!"

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:46 am

The DBZ movie 3 "main theme", in it's half a dozen variants. I'm no fan of the movie itself, but the theme is used to great effect in the Bardock special, which is what I primarily connect it with.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Are these things critical parts of the score to you guys?

vibraslap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJpT2Kn-jfc

flexatone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmtA07M-5aI

I'm thinking I probably won't use them, but especially the vibraslap seems to play constantly in the Japanese score.
- Scott