Incomplete Faulconer Production Tracks

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Incomplete Faulconer Production Tracks

Post by Coycoy88 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:18 am

It's been very boring around here lately (In RL), so iv'e been watching a few episodes of Dbz to pass the time. While watching the Funi dubbed version with the dub sountrack, I started to think about the Faulconer Cd's, and how quite a few of the tracks on them are incomplete, or cut off way to sudden. The worst being how the Trunks Compendium was put together. To me it seemed as thought it was rushed and was sloppily put together. Does anyone have any more examples? A few that I can think of from the top of my head are:

Frieza vs. Spirit bomb Part 1 - Volume 2
Frieza vs. Spirit bomb Part 2 - Volume 2
Dead Zone - Volume 2 (A longer version of it played in the anime which included parts of the track without a lead guitar)
Vegeta's Theme - Volume 1 (The version WITHOUT the guitar lead was not included)
Vegeta - Super Saiyan - Volume 1 (It didnt include that epic piano intro and the track ends abruptly)
Cell Juniors Theme - Volume 3 (For some reason the creepy Violin instrument that played in the anime was taken out)
Palace In The Clouds - Trunks Compendium (The track was only 33 sec's.... it was MUCH longer than that in the anime.)
A Little Help From A Friend - Trunks Compendium (Not sure if you call this one incomplete, but in the anime a version without the drum beat played)
My Youtube account (Coycoy88)

I primarily rip and upload unreleased Faulconer Productions music, as well as some other American dub music.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Incomplete Faulconer Production Tracks

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Just a note that the Frieza vs Spirit Bomb piece was split into two because of the commercial break.
Last edited by cRookie_Monster on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks for the info Scott! :D It just seems like the songs I mentioned feel incomplete to me, after Hearing longer versions play in the show. It's just my opinion. I guess I pay TO MUCH attention to these songs, lol. XD If only I had access to the episode compendiums, I could easily piece together full versions of these tracks. It's been a small little dream of mine. Sad isn't it? Aha.

Oh, question Scott, Did the "Frieza vs. Spirit Bomb" tracks names get switched around on the CD release, or was that there original studio names? Because Part 2 played before Part 1 in the Anime. Part 2 is my favoite, and I was just a little disappointed when it faded away during the track. The song was at least another minute or so longer.

Now the Dead Zone track, It would of been epic to see a version without the Guitar lead and the version with the lead combined like it was in the anime. I managed to rip it the other night when my bro let me borrow his laptop. It was really long! :O Maybe that's why the full version was not released? maybe it would take to much space on the CD? lol, I dunno all the technical stuff, aha.

I'm not saying that the Vegeta's theme without the lead should of been released as a seperate track, but edited in with the version that had the lead. I'm betting most people were expecting something similiar to this on the CD release - http://www.4shared.com/audio/EHRxCcSJ/_ ... _Them.html

The piano intro to Vegeta's super saiyan theme was the best part! lol! It built up to the song. When you hear it, you can almost feel Vegeta's anger/pride. It's a shame he felt it was best to leave it out. :(

If you and/or Mike would of been in complete charge of the Cd's, what would you have done differently? I bet we would of gotten a much cleaner, more complete Soundtrack release.

I primarily rip and upload unreleased Faulconer Productions music, as well as some other American dub music.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:01 am

Every time I hear about complicated things of Faulconer's dub score, I think of the music-only audio track on the future releases. It would solve the problem simply.

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:16 am

kei17 wrote:Every time I hear about complicated things of Faulconer's dub score, I think of the music-only audio track on the future releases. It would solve the problem simply.
Wait... I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that there's going to be a release of an audio-track only feature of the Faulconer Production tracks on future DVD releases? O.o Or did I misunderstand you? Lol, that would be beyond awesome if it were true, lmao. Doubt Funimation would do that though. :( Though, I've seen DVD movies like that before, that had an option of playing the movie with only the BGM.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:58 am

Coycoy88 wrote:Wait... I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that there's going to be a release of an audio-track only feature of the Faulconer Production tracks on future DVD releases? O.o Or did I misunderstand you? Lol, that would be beyond awesome if it were true, lmao. Doubt Funimation would do that though. :( Though, I've seen DVD movies like that before, that had an option of playing the movie with only the BGM.
It's just my personal wish. But yeah, it'd be awesome if they really release it. :)

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:58 am

Funi's never going to do it, but I'd love a release like that as well. The Matrix was one of the DVDs that had this option. I think a Faulconer music only score audio track would be great. Maybe something they could do on an eventual Blu-ray release of the series (along with Japanese version, Japanese version BGM only, and TV-audio version).

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:11 pm

The thing is most of the tracks *were* released in their full, original versions.

The exceptions being really early pieces, which really had no end or beginning, since it was "music for the show" all continuously written, and pieces on the Trunks Compendium...which were all chopped to hell.

The Dead Zone is released just as it was when it was completed. There was an alternate of it with no lead. In the show we might have edited them together, making it sound like there was a longer version, but there really wasn't, just edits.

I think we probably felt stupid "mute a track and repeat" edits like that were too repetitive to go on a CD like that. We only had so much space and wanted to get all the good stuff on there.

Edited extensions happened a lot with the other tracks too. I was editing stuff to fit picture all the time, so if I needed something to be longer, I'd loop a section of it, rearrange things, etc. That's what music editors do :) We just didn't release all those extensions, unless they were elaborate. Like the Dragon Theme, it was waayyyy shorter originally. The version on the CD is a loop loop loop loop done later, but with keyboard enhancements layered on the top to keep it from getting monotonous.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of the Frieza vs Spirit Bomb tracks being reversed like that. All I can do is speculate, maybe the clip after the commercial break was written first, then the part before. Not everything was done in chronological order.

To be perfectly honest, some of the butchery on the first CD was Mike and myself's doing. We were trying to put only the most interesting stuff on the 1 CD release we knew was going to happen. Volumes 2-6 were more of "dump a bunch of files 'as is' onto a CD project".

I guess the key thing to remember is that it was supposed to be "Best of" CDs, not "All of". If you look at it from that perspective, things might make a little more sense.
Last edited by cRookie_Monster on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Scott

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Oops, got a server error and accidentally double posted.
- Scott

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:17 am

As much as fans like me would of liked a complete Faulconer sountrack release, I'm happy that we got any tracks at all. Guess the best thing we can do is just wait and hope that someday, Funi gives Bruce permission to release more, or they do an independent release themselves. I dont know about anyone else, but to me it just seems to be a big waste to have all these tracks go incomplete or unreleased, and be forgotten over time. Guess you could say I'm a big sucker for nostalgia, aha.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Try and see it from the composers' point of view.

You've got music you thought would never see light of day except in some weird scene covered by sound FX and dialogue..or you might have put more effort into polishing it for stand alone purposes. This music is 10 years old, you have grown since then and have been writing new music all that time.

The composers' focus is going to be on new material:

IE:
http://www.amazon.com/TV-Soundtracks-S- ... _rhf_p_t_3
(I'll refrain from posting Mike's privatish band link or shameless self promotion)
Last edited by cRookie_Monster on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Scott

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:19 pm

That album was very disappointing. Most of the tracks were less than a minute long.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Oh, he released his commercial bumpers as a "soundtrack"....sigh.....

I dunno, I take it all back. I cannot understand the way that man's mind works, only my own.
Last edited by cRookie_Monster on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Scott

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Lord Exor wrote:That album was very disappointing. Most of the tracks were less than a minute long.
Ditto.

As crazy as it is to admit this, I specifically bought Volume 1 'cause I REALLY wanted that "Goku's Spirit Bomb" track. That's straight up the only theme I listen to on the disc.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:
Lord Exor wrote:That album was very disappointing. Most of the tracks were less than a minute long.
Ditto.

As crazy as it is to admit this, I specifically bought Volume 1 'cause I REALLY wanted that "Goku's Spirit Bomb" track. That's straight up the only theme I listen to on the disc.
Gotta love those New Age pieces, right?
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:22 am

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:
Ditto.

:) Thx man. That's first Z track I worked on as an "arranger" :)
- Scott

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:18 am

cRookie_Monster wrote:
Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:Ditto.

:) Thx man. That's first Z track I worked on as an "arranger" :)
Oh you are the one who arranged that? That's one of my favourite tracks. I used it in my music-replacing video before.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:01 pm

Btw, I reused some of the harmony from the part you used in this movie at about 6:42:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1fQ6NgMUk
- Scott

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:34 am

Hey Scott, I just finished ripping and editing together the entire version of the " Frieza vs. Spirit Bomb Part 2" I mixed in the unreleased parts with the released part, and synced it to the anime at 24 fps. Frieza vs. Spirit Bomb Part 2 (Full Version)

*edit - 3/19*
I just finished piecing together the unreleased parts of the "Dead Zone" track (without the guitar lead) and combined it with the released version that had the guitar lead. - Dead Zone (Extended Full Version)