Question about Episodic Trunks

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Question about Episodic Trunks

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGzSbMr8dFk

Hopefully Scott Morgan can give some insight. Was that song ever intended for a specific scene, perhaps one of Trunks' flashback expositions, and then replaced with something else, or was it just a theme Faulconer just wanted to be released?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

xzero
Regular

Re: Question about Episodic Trunks

Post by xzero » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:12 pm

I think a short version of it was used during later episodes of the show, but the CD is the only place the full song appears. There were a few other tracks like this that had a full version or different edit on the CD than they received during the show.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:55 pm

No, Episodic was my slower arrangement of the theme originally in Heroic Trunks(arranged by Mike Smith). Heroic Trunks was written for the trailer, but Episodic Trunks was more like, "Great we've got action music(Heroic Trunks), but now we need some slower more ambient stuff for non-action Trunks scenes". Episodic Trunks was edited into some episodes that we sent to Funimation, but got wiped out when they wanted heavier villain type music for Trunks.

And the third piece in the trio is Frieza's Death which also contains that same melody..which was written for a specific scene (obviously from the title :) )
"Heaven Sent Trunks" is just a clip from Episodic Trunks..I was simply fixing a glitch and saving it out lol. Never meant it to be released as a separate track. I think the glitch in Episodic Trunks was fixed eventually as well before the CD release.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:52 am

The place that immediately comes to mind where a part of Episodic Trunks was used in the show was in the Buu saga, when Goku arrives at the lookout after waking up from getting knocked out by Vegeta.

I don't know why that sticks in my head so much. Maybe because it's a Trunks song for something that has nothing to do with Trunks?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:52 am

Hmm. I kind of want to see/hear how those initial Trunks scenes would've come out with the soundtrack from before FUNimation wanted everything heavier.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:13 am

ThunderPX wrote:Hmm. I kind of want to see/hear how those initial Trunks scenes would've come out with the soundtrack from before FUNimation wanted everything heavier.
Agreed, always toyed around with that idea in my head.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Just a grab a scene from one of the early Trunks episodes where not much is going on and plop in some appropriate Trunks music when the focus is on him. I think I had used the "Heaven Sent Trunks" bit a few places. The other stuff in that track, though lighter than Heroic Trunks, was often overkill. Hah I'd love to see those old edits too. Faulconer would be the only one with access to that stuff. I can't remember if I used the bigger parts of Episodic Trunks for some dramatic moment or not. I'm guessing so, somewhere...just can't remember.
- Scott

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:36 pm

The only time I can really recall Episodic Trunks playing, was during the Buu saga. o.o It played right after everyone was wished back, and we see Videl, Roshi, Krillin & Company on Kami's Lookout surprised that they were alive again, then a slightly remixed version played as Goku sat on that rock smiling, right after he had killed Kid Buu. Lol, Funimation should of left your guys shit alone Scott. >> "Yeeeah... We appreciate the hard work & time you put into arranging/performing/editing the music together, and we don't like to interfere with personal creativity but... WERE GONNA BUTCHER IT BY MAKING a lot OF UNNECESSARY EDITS TOO IT. *Funi Trollface*"

Lol, and random thought. If Funimation technically owns all his music used in DBZ, does that (In some kind of way) make the fact that he has all the tracks at his studio, Illegal? Stupid question I know. Lmao, I'm a noob at legal matters. I'm guessing they worked out some agreement, were he can keep them, just not release them for financial gain, or even for free.
My Youtube account (Coycoy88)

I primarily rip and upload unreleased Faulconer Productions music, as well as some other American dub music.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:14 am

Coycoy88 wrote:Lol, and random thought. If Funimation technically owns all his music used in DBZ, does that (In some kind of way) make the fact that he has all the tracks at his studio, Illegal? Stupid question I know. Lmao, I'm a noob at legal matters. I'm guessing they worked out some agreement, were he can keep them, just not release them for financial gain, or even for free.
Scott may want to chime in with something, but I can answer that one as far as the legal stuff goes. Agreement or not, Funi can't tell Faulconer or anyone who has all of the unreleased (or even released) tracks on their computer that they can't have them. Funi's ownership rights and copyright protection extend (absent an agreement to the contrary) to use, broadcast, and distribution, e.g. selling the tracks. If the original artist happens to retain an original copy, the copyright holder has no rights against him unless he tries to take some action infringing on their copyright, like selling them.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:30 am

Sorry for being off-topic, but I noticed that "Frieza's Death" has the same melody as Trunks' theme, so does this mean the melody wasn't composed specifically for Trunks?

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:10 am

kei17 wrote:Sorry for being off-topic, but I noticed that "Freeza's Death" has the same melody as Trunks' theme, so does this mean the melody wasn't composed specifically for Trunks?
No, Heroic Trunks was written first. That melody was written for the Trunks trailer. Frieza's Death was a scene where Trunks kills Frieza. That's why Trunks' theme appears in that piece.

coycoy, xzero answered your question perfectly. The tracks were made at the studio, so yeah that data was already known and accessed by Faulconer Productions legally because Faulconer Productions created it in the first place. Publishing it is a different matter though.
- Scott