Opinions on Pieces of Music - V4!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Re: Opinions on Pieces of Music - V4!

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:30 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Just found this theme:
https://youtu.be/nVRGbCnSMRg?list=PLrQe ... WnbQSOaX3q (Let it Burn)

Made by the composer of Shippudden and Fairy Tale's OSTs (amazing OSTs) for the Final Chapters. No idea when it plays.
I think the song's pretty decent, but I wish something more could've been done with the melody in this song. However, I do like the song's intro with the choir. I could see this song being on a Japanese power metal album.

Also, I'm a fan of Masatoshi Ono because of Galneryus and Hunter X Hunter, so I'm a little biased here in saying that I thought Ono did a good job with this song.

And now for something completely different...

Next: Budokai 2 - We Go Nuts

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:13 am

Shiyonasan wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Just found this theme:
https://youtu.be/nVRGbCnSMRg?list=PLrQe ... WnbQSOaX3q (Let it Burn)

Made by the composer of Shippudden and Fairy Tale's OSTs (amazing OSTs) for the Final Chapters. No idea when it plays.
I think the song's pretty decent, but I wish something more could've been done with the melody in this song. However, I do like the song's intro with the choir. I could see this song being on a Japanese power metal album.

Also, I'm a fan of Masatoshi Ono because of Galneryus and Hunter X Hunter, so I'm a little biased here in saying that I thought Ono did a good job with this song.

And now for something completely different...

Next: Budokai 2 - We Go Nuts
7/10 That music brings back memories of playing that weird board game from Budokai 2. It actually sounds a bit christmas-y to me for some reason. Overall probably one of the better tracks from the Budokai era.

Next: Nathan Johnson - Vegeta eats Senzu Bean
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Not much of a melody, but it's dark and somewhat suits the one scene it's used in. It's quite literally heard in the second last episode to feature the score, so it's lack of use is understandable.

And now a track from The Path to Power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4HjwjBs5TM
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:03 pm

It has a very nostalgic and sad mood to it. Everything about the piece, from the keyboard to the strings, flows so well together. It sounds kind of like GT's soundtrack, but different enough to stand on it's own. It's perfect to accompany Hat-chan's death in The Path to Ultimate Strength.

Next: World's Undefeatable Course

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:11 pm

A catchy and fun tune. Gotta love Hironobu Kageyama's vocal performance! I think it could've been great as an ending theme for DBZ if it were to have been changed up regularly.

Next: Aoki Tabibito-tachi
-Joey

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:01 pm

Used to not be a big fan of that song, but upon listening to it again just now, my opinion of it has improved. Gotta love the vocals from Takahashi, from the calmer bits to the soaring parts. Very relaxing.

Next: J6 2

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:04 pm

Relaxing and mysterious. It's not mindblowing by any means, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Next: A Grim Fate

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:27 pm

Nice build-up throughout the piece. Great string work as well. Despite ripping off a track from Elizabeth: The Golden Age, it's a solid piece overall.

And now for my favorite track from the Budokai trilogy...

Next: Budokai 1 - World Tournament (Battle Theme #3) (Also played on Cell Games Arena in Budokai 1, Stone Arena in Budokai 2, and The Room of Spirit and Time in Budokai 3.)

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:06 pm

Ah yes such a solid piece even if yamamoto did infringe he did have good taste in music. This flashes me back to 2002.

Next https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCOZ9J-7fVI (Farewell or Trapped Between Past And Present)
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:16 pm

The strings at the beginning remind me a little of Full of Tears - In the Abyss of Sorrow from the Budokai 1 soundtrack. The arrangement is a little strange to me, but its otherwise a pretty good soundtrack.

Next: I17

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Very happy and outgoing. Something you would definatly hear from the original dragon ball.

Next https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogy2gUl7LzU (Impatience this is a ripped track)
PSN SonGoku325

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Provides that epic, triumphant feel of accomplishment. Almost as if you achieved and the unbelievable.

Birth of a Super Saiyan God.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Beautiful. It has a very mystical sound to it, which fits the brand new transformation no one had seen before at that point. Also, it vaguely reminds me of some of the Soul Calibur OSTs. Always liked Battle of Gods' soundtrack, including that song.

Next: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen - Seeking Out the Dragon Balls (Arranged)

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:Beautiful. It has a very mystical sound to it, which fits the brand new transformation no one had seen before at that point. Also, it vaguely reminds me of some of the Soul Calibur OSTs. Always liked Battle of Gods' soundtrack, including that song.

Next: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen - Seeking Out the Dragon Balls (Arranged)
Has that mystical rpg feeling to it. Dammit yamamoto why did you have to infringe

Next: Struggling Against A God
PSN SonGoku325

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:53 am

Dramatic and grand, absolutely befitting of the tussle between Beerus and Goku. The stakes are clearly elevated here.

Next: Frieza vs. Spirit Bomb part 2
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:32 am

Lord Exor wrote:Dramatic and grand, absolutely befitting of the tussle between Beerus and Goku. The stakes are clearly elevated here.

Next: Freeza vs. Spirit Bomb part 2
I'll be honest. The is has never been one of my favs from Mike. Mike wasn't totally pleased with it either though. I remember him coming out of the studio frustrated and saying(something like), "Oh it's just one of those things. I had spent so much time on it, I had to just leave it and move on." I get what he was trying to do, and the chords do have a sweet emotional kind of epic feel, but the timing of the piece is just a bit clumsy for me and I don't think he had time to polish it the way he normally would have done. He wrote a lot of music for that show in a pretty short amount of time.

My fav part is at 0:55 where the clever key change happens. I like it because it's dark, but I just noticed the whole pivot strategy he used :) The whole piece is characterized by the overall key moving up 2x from C# minor, to D minor, to Eb minor, his fav key. But 0:55 is a brief stint in F minor which is kinda surprising, and he uses it to transition to D minor ( the middle key of the overall progression). That was fun to analyze, I had never done it until just now The Eb minor key change(1:28) happens after that chromatically descending guitar riff(ick), but still comes off as being sudden to me feeling like a cheesy pop song key change, in spite of the setup he put in.

Here's one my friend Chez wrote for Absalon (or maybe they used it with permission, not 100% sure which)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYWQcv-MpY4
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:04 pm

It has a very hopeless and doom-filled sound to it, especially at the beginning. This would make a great soundtrack to one of the DB fighting video games or as an entrance theme for a pro-wrestler. Pretty good track overall, especially when the guitar first kicks in.

Now for something more lighthearted.

Next: Heart Konen

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:48 pm

Upbeat, full of energy, and a fun listen. Again, gotta love Mr. Kageyama's vocal performance.

Next: Solid State Scouter
-Joey

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Absolutely one of my favorite pieces from the Japanese side of the Dragon Ball musical legacy. The synths used for the bass line invoke the '80s and early '90s in a flattering way, at least to me.

Next: Mystery of the Z Sword
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

JoshuaSaiyajin

Post by JoshuaSaiyajin » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:49 pm

I like the suspense that the track builds up. One of the few tracks of Faulconer's that I enjoy.
Next up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxpDaULjEs