FUNimation-ish music...in the Japanese score

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

FUNimation-ish music...in the Japanese score

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:06 pm

I got to thinking...I massively prefer the Japanese score, not just for the music itself, but also for the genre, which is to say that I happen to like and respect orchestral music a lot more than any other genre of music. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-rock by any means (my iPod is filled with tons of rock and metal songs), but when I'm watching Dragon Ball, orchestral music is what feels right to me, and I've often criticized the replacement scores for sounding out of place purely because of their genre.

.....Having said that.......I just noticed that some (not all, but some) of my favorite tracks in the Japanese score are tunes that, because of their genre and style, you'd almost expect would feel more "at home" in the replacement scores. For example, the song when Trunks kills Freeza, "Battle Point Unlimited," which uses synthesizers and electric guitars, stuff that you'd normally only find on FUNimation's replacement scores. Or, the recently-released, "Let it Burn" for Kai. I've never particularly cared for the American rock bands that FUNimation put into their movie scores, but this song, which I freaking love, kinda has that feel to it (Engrish lyrics aside). Most of my favorite tracks from the Japanese score are orchestral, but every once in a while, a non-orchestral track makes its way into my favorite list.

What about you? Have you ever found yourself liking a track from the original Japanese score that actually sounds FUNimation-ish? What are your thoughts on it?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: FUNimation-ish music...in the Japanese score

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:14 pm

There are quite a few tracks in the DB Kai 2014 that certainly feel like they have been influenced by Faulconer and his score in the original Funimation run of DBZ, with its heavy usage of synthesizers and electric guitars.

The Great Saiyaman, Theme Of Super Saiyan and Theme Of Vegeta are the most jarring examples in the entire soundtrack

These three tracks, however, sounds like they were ripped straight out of a Crash Bandicoot game. And if I'm listening to the background music for a show and Crash Bandcioot is the first that comes to my mind, you know it was made cheaply.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Yeah. Most of Sumitomo's non orchestral tracks sound like generic 90s music. It's really weird though, and I wonder if Sumitomo intentionally made the music for Kai sound like it was from the 90s.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:13 am

Sumi had little to no-budget, compare Kai to BOG and you see HUGE comparison/contrast there.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:15 am

Some tracks from BoG still DO sound awfully cheap and cheesy, though.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri May 08, 2015 1:42 am

kei17 wrote:Some tracks from BoG still DO sound awfully cheap and cheesy, though.

Aye that sir, like this one. I hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIE88UqLtCc

Not to mention any lighthearted track in Buu Kai.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Thu May 14, 2015 7:04 pm

None of them seem to possess the ethereal New Age dimension that many of the Faulconer team's tracks seemed to have, particularly during the Ginyu and Frieza sagas.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:07 am

Incidentally, Battle Point Unlimited and Let It Burn are among my favorites tracks in their respective series.
Lord Beerus wrote:There are quite a few tracks in the DB Kai 2014 that certainly feel like they have been influenced by Faulconer and his score in the original Funimation run of DBZ, with its heavy usage of synthesizers and electric guitars.

The Great Saiyaman, Theme Of Super Saiyan and Theme Of Vegeta are the most jarring examples in the entire soundtrack
How dare you compare those tracks to Faulconer's OST! They sound straight out of SEGA Genesis games...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 15, 2015 4:15 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Incidentally, Battle Point Unlimited and Let It Burn are among my favorites tracks in their respective series.
Lord Beerus wrote:There are quite a few tracks in the DB Kai 2014 that certainly feel like they have been influenced by Faulconer and his score in the original Funimation run of DBZ, with its heavy usage of synthesizers and electric guitars.

How dare you compare those tracks to Faulconer's OST! They sound straight out of SEGA Genesis games...
No, those three tracks are so tracks that Faulconer would produce in this day and age, because those tracks have droning. Lots and lots of droning. Hell, Theme Of Vegeta sounds quite inspired from Vegeta Fights Freeza.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:38 pm

I personally, like Sumitomo's scores so far. There's very few pieces of his that I LOVE, but I feel he gets the job done. Also, some parts from BoG sound WAY too much like Faulconer to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNDxlp6Z06c around the 20 second mark for example.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!