Who Actually Digs "Don't Let Me Down"?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SoundVox

Who Actually Digs "Don't Let Me Down"?

Post by SoundVox » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:58 pm

Just heard the full version of the song. I'll be honest, this may just be the only Kai ending song I like, maybe even love.

At first, it didn't seem like the kind of song I'd be into at all, but they were smart enough to pair it with moments from the World Tournament that Goku went through, and ending with foreshadowing to meeting Uub. That just hit the nostalgia perfectly, reminding me that no matter how crazy things got with Dragon Ball Z, the world Torunament is still a big part of Goku's development as a fighter, and his development with his friends. And with the words "don't let me down" as if it's Goku thinking that about Uub, after all this time being excited to fight "Buu" again, and it's just helped with the happy upbeat tone of the song, and it just works despite being not very "Dragon Ball." That was a great angle already, and it won me over... Then I hear the full version of the song, and towards the end, instead of "don't let me down," the tone winds down for a little bit, and it changes to "I won't let you down," and I hear that as if it's from Uub's perspective, or rather it's like Goku's believeing that Uub won't let him down; one day he will give him the fight he always wanted. When I heard this song, the scene of Goku and Uub flying away and laughing, and the extra manga scene where Goku gives Uub the nimbus with Goku smiling at Uub, remembering himself when he was a kid, comes to mind (http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... 0808232930.

I know I'm reading too much into it, but as an ending song for the series, I just think it convenitnelty works (I say conveniently because they also say "love don't let me down" and I'm pretty darn sure Goku doesn't love Uub...). Now I know there aren't too many people who actually like the song, and I get that. Hell in suprprised I like it this much. So I'm just wondering, who actually digs "Don't Let Me Down," because I'm genuinely shocked this song, that conflicts with my typical preference pattern, didn't let me down. If you dislike the song, feel free to voice your opinion on that too, no hate here.

MarCas92
Regular

Re: Who Actually Digs "Don't Let Me Down"?

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:04 pm

The lyrics to the song are good, but unfortunately the melody isn't too catchy or interesting in my opinion. I haven't really cared for any of the Kai songs since "Kokoro no Hane". I like the visuals to this and Galaxy a lot though (even though they are a bit lazy). They both show how far Goku has come and I completely agree with you about the Budoukai being a large part of Goku's life and playing to our nostalgia. It was a great idea. My only gripe with it is that feels incomplete because it doesn't include the rematch with Tenshinhan.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

SoundVox

Post by SoundVox » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:26 pm

MarCas92 wrote:My only gripe with it is that feels incomplete because it doesn't include the rematch with Tenshinhan.
I hear you. Especially since they kept in Goku's complete curb stomp symphony (or curb elbow?) I've that one guy, what's his name, "Pamput" or something? Maybe it was just hard to pick one moment to showcase from that match. Though it can be distracting since that's the one match they didn't include.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:46 pm

I enjoy it too, it's a great song and one of the few things I like about Kai. Typically I'm not into those types of high pitched vocals but the song has kick ass instrumentation and the way it's sung gives it a high energy vibe that's fitting for the images of Goku fighting.

Despite liking the song I can't help but see the humour in the fact that "Don't Let Me Down" is kind of a funny song/title choice considering Kai was a let down for many.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:00 pm

I usually don't like that type of music, but I like this one a lot. Also where did you hear the full version?
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:27 pm

NitroEX wrote:I enjoy it too, it's a great song and one of the few things I like about Kai. Typically I'm not into those types of high pitched vocals but the song has kick ass instrumentation and the way it's sung gives it a high energy vibe that's fitting for the images of Goku fighting.

Despite liking the song I can't help but see the humour in the fact that "Don't Let Me Down" is kind of a funny song/title choice considering Kai was a let down for many.
For me I vastly enjoyed kai 1.0 but 2.0 I can't help but shake my head at sometimes :(
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

SoundVox

Post by SoundVox » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:33 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:I usually don't like that type of music, but I like this one a lot. Also where did you hear the full version?
At first, I found it on a random MP3 sharing site, after I discovered someone made an amp with the full song (but sped up and high pitched). But then today, it vanished. Seems like they're really strict about this song, since most videos with it are muted, and I couldn't find a MP3 of it at all. Luckily, found it in iTunes, so I just shrugged and bought the song today.

SoundVox

Post by SoundVox » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:36 pm

NitroEX wrote:Despite liking the song I can't help but see the humour in the fact that "Don't Let Me Down" is kind of a funny song/title choice considering Kai was a let down for many.
Yeeeah I see that connection mentioned a lot. I haven't been keeping up with 2014 Kai much until recently with the kid Buu fight, so I don't know too much about how it's been letting people down. I was just turned off by the music and pacing, so I didn't keep up with it. I'll have to look into why people aren't too keen with it, because I'm in the dark.