5 years ago on March 9, Kenji Yamamoto was fired

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Re: 5 years ago on March 9, Kenji Yamamoto was fired

Post by DB1984 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:28 am

Post removed
Last edited by DB1984 on Wed May 04, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:15 pm

so because of this will be forever stuck with boring bland as fuck music ost for super? fantastic.. :yawn: kinda of shame he and bruce were able to produce iconic themes/ost for the series too bad they both find away to burn bridges at the time.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:45 pm

I often find myself still listening to the old Budokai soundtracks to this day. Such a loss that the performance caliber was so high with that work in particular. His work had a great deal to offer despite all the plagiarism.

Sumimoto's work on the movies wasn't entirely bad, but the material in Super...I mean, it's all been said already. Replacement with the old Z or GT score would be preferable, or even Faulconer's work. Not that any of those options will ever take place, but it says a bit that every commonly known soundtrack throughout the rest of the franchise has been significantly better, even the dub replacement score that didn't need to exist in the first place.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:55 am

DB1984 wrote: Japan has always been known to take controversies like this VERY seriously (There was also the time singer Noriko Sakai, who narrated the Pokemon short Pichu and Pikichu, was arrested for a drug abuse scandal in 2009, and her narration was removed from ALL further reissues of the short).
No. Her narration wasn't removed; rather, the entire short was just outright banned from ever being released or airing on TV again.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

dcx6723

Post by dcx6723 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:38 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Wai-wai-wait...Yamamoto is the reason Kageyama is gone? I didn't know that...if that's true, then that's horrible. I friggin love Kageyama's songs, and his singing style was a perfect fit for Dragon Ball. To know that that's why we lost him makes me much angrier with Yamamoto than I previously was.
I guess it's sad for next video games or may be Dragon Ball Super, but at least it shows how the 2 are really connected each other and how Kageyama works (can be seen in Budokai 2 DVD too).

This guy should have been just an arranger for Kai, not a composer, all would be solved.

I really like how Kenji Yamamoto music evolved with time, with Budokai 3 at the highest level but there some cool tracks on Shin Budokai 2 or Infinite World with the same feeling.

For Battle Point Unlimited, since he mashed-up multiple songs into a brand new song, can we call that a fair use case?

Also, what is this japan tribute album? Curious to hear.

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:33 am

I do miss Yamamoto's music, it was something I would listen to a lot more often than other things, whereas Sumitomo's is alright though nothing sticks out to me thus far (having just wrapped up the Golden Freeza arc, haven't seen the movies yet.)

However... Seeing how hilarious and well, sadly deep the Yamamoto plagiarism rabbit hole goes, I can't say I expected anything different to happen. Right now with my optimistic view on things, if we're going to have Sumitomo as the Dragon Ball man now, I hope he improves as time goes on, obviously without endless copying of other people like Kenji, though.