Where does this come from? [English Cha La]

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Where does this come from? [English Cha La]

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:01 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNdipWV2 ... re=related

I was just browsing through Japanese DB videos, and was drawn in by an image that looked like Chaotzu and Goku fused. And I was treated to this video, with an odd english version of Head Cha La that I hadn't...ever heard before. Anyone knows where this song is from?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Where does this come from? [English Cha La]

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:07 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNdipWV2 ... re=related

I was just browsing through Japanese DB videos, and was drawn in by an image that looked like Chaotzu and Goku fused. And I was treated to this video, with an odd english version of Head Cha La that I hadn't...ever heard before. Anyone knows where this song is from?
Hironobu Kageyama performed this English version which appears on his Mixture (Best Album 3) (along with English versions of "WE GOTTA POWER" and "Boku-tachi wa Tenshi Datta"). It also showed up again on the recent 13-CD set.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:08 pm

It comes from the deepest, darkest pit of Hell.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:28 pm

What I love about artists like Kageyama (and, conversely, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi) is that even when they decide to sing in English, you still can't understand a word they're saying. That's part of what makes him such an awesome musician--his voice sounds awesome in pretty much any context.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Kageyama should have just sang all the OPs. That was fucking amazing. Need to find his cover of Makafushigi Adventure.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:34 pm

Tweaker wrote:What I love about artists like Kageyama (and, conversely, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi) is that even when they decide to sing in English, you still can't understand a word they're saying. That's part of what makes him such an awesome musician--his voice sounds awesome in pretty much any context.
Are you serious? I cannot understand everyone’s fascination with the Japanese BGM and intros and endings. :?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:40 pm

Forget the BGM or the endings, have you HEARD the openings? I'll admit, CHA LA HEAD CHA LA isn't SPECTACULAR, but it's good. However, Makafushigi Adventure and We Gotta Power are just amazing.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:50 pm

B wrote:Forget the BGM or the endings, have you HEARD the openings? I'll admit, CHA LA HEAD CHA LA isn't SPECTACULAR, but it's good. However, Makafushigi Adventure and We Gotta Power are just amazing.
The only Japanese Dragonball related song I can get into is the opening to Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. I believe it called “Super Survivor”. Yet I do not know what the person is saying in the English or the Japanese version except for the hook but it still is a great song. Personally, I really like the modern stuff they use for Naruto Shippūden.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:56 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Tweaker wrote:What I love about artists like Kageyama (and, conversely, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi) is that even when they decide to sing in English, you still can't understand a word they're saying. That's part of what makes him such an awesome musician--his voice sounds awesome in pretty much any context.
Are you serious? I cannot understand everyone’s fascination with the Japanese BGM and intros and endings. :?
I love the Japanese openings and endings, but I don't particularly care for these english versions. And I don't think that it's great that you can't understand the english in an english song! =p

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:13 am

Who made the BGM that played while Vegeta turned into a Super Saiyan and the one when Kakarrot goes Super Saiyan 3? Was those songs Japanese?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:59 am

One Piece openingsand endings beat out all!

Er...nice English rendition.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:02 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Who made the BGM that played while Vegeta turned into a Super Saiyan and the one when Kakarrot goes Super Saiyan 3? Was those songs Japanese?
Funi Version or Original Japanese?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:24 pm

Raki wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:Who made the BGM that played while Vegeta turned into a Super Saiyan and the one when Kakarrot goes Super Saiyan 3? Was those songs Japanese?
I am talking about “Super Saiyan Vegeta Theme” and “Super Saiyan 3 Theme”.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:31 pm

That's FUNi dub, and yeah, they're both nice, but they just give off a "noise" feel. As in, they're there to keep a scene from being quiet.

Gohan Angers and Cell's Theme actually sound like pieces of music, IMHO.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:39 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Raki wrote:
I am talking about “Super Saiyan Vegeta Theme” and “Super Saiyan 3 Theme”.
Yah those are the Faulconer english tracks

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:43 pm

B wrote:That's FUNi dub, and yeah, they're both nice, but they just give off a "noise" feel. As in, they're there to keep a scene from being quiet.

The “Gohan Angers” starts in a distracting manner but it sounds good once it get towards the middle and end, I always liked “Cell's Theme”.

So I guess the majority of the stuff I like is from Funimation. The Japanese stuff seems Hanna- Barberaish. You have all this cool action going on but the background music makes me feel like I should be watching Yogi Bear or Huckleberry Hound.

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:46 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:The “Gohan Angers” starts in a distracting manner but it sounds good once it get towards the middle and end, I always liked “Cell's Theme”.

So I guess the majority of the stuff I like is from Funimation. The Japanese stuff seems Hanna- Barberaish. You have all this cool action going on but the background music makes me feel like I should be watching Yogi Bear or Huckleberry Hound.
Interesting side of the coin. I feel that way about a lot of the English BGM (some of the themes not withstanding). Even the Perfect Cell theme, which I like, has random parts where it stops being cool. It's like a 6 year old breaks into the studio and starts dicking around before the awesome kicks back in. Too many random "dings" and bells and comedic "tension-breaking" stops for my tastes.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
B wrote:That's FUNi dub, and yeah, they're both nice, but they just give off a "noise" feel. As in, they're there to keep a scene from being quiet.

The “Gohan Angers” starts in a distracting manner but it sounds good once it get towards the middle and end, I always liked “Cell's Theme”.

I don't think I'd mind the dub music as much (being badly composed or not) if it just ended once in awhile. Dub track after dub track after dub track just continuously plays as if we can't take a scene worth of silence.

I don't think "DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN I'm PICCOLO!!!!!" rockin' synth music is appropriate when everyone's sitting around talking to each other. Personally the dub music makes me feel like I'm inside the head of a 12 year old with ADD.

Not to mention you have to account the age of the show into how the Japanese music is composed. Despite what Funi wants you to think (and as you probably know) this show was made in the 80's so the music is bound to have aged. Just look at other anime BGM from that time. I think the music is appropriate given the age of the show. It doesn't give off that "X-TREME HARDCORE DRAGONBALL RAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH" type of feel the dub constantly attempts to shove down your throat.

I know I'm being a little harsh and I respect your opinion. I know music is completely subjective so I'm just giving you my side of the coin. Honestly I like the dubbed Sailor Moon music more then the Japanese version so I can relate.

Anyway back on track Hironobu Kageyama singing in English is just very, very silly to me. It's cute but I think it ends up making the song sound worse in the long run.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:07 pm

I was going to continue to read your messages, and try to find a reason you didn't like the original BGM and vocal songs, but then I saw that you actually called him " Kakarrot ". After this, I lol'd, wrote this message, didn't read any more of yours, and ate lots of cake.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:07 pm

Rory wrote:
I was going to continue to read your messages, and try to find a reason you didn't like the original BGM and vocal songs, but then I saw that you actually called him " Kakarrot ". After this, I lol'd, wrote this message, didn't read any more of yours, and ate lots of cake.
Can I just cover this one Saiyan-Professor so you don't have to respond super angry n' such? He calls him that because of a running gag with his (dead?) father he wants to keep alive (oooon message boards I suppose.) So yeah accept different opinions, Mr.EX isn't complaining etc. etc. sorry to interrupt your cake. I'm eating some very good home made cookies myself.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight