Episode #0287 (29 January 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0287 (29 January 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Episode #0287 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
47:49; 96 kbps, mono; 33.1 MB

Episode #0287! VegettoEX, Meri, and Hujio discuss the unexpected suspension of FUNimation's HD restoration work on the DBZ TV series. Within a six month period the project was announced, heavily hyped, saw two releases, and was unceremoniously killed off. What exactly just happened...? Our in-depth analysis and your thoughts take us through the episode! Referenced sites:
Hey, some heavy-hitting news. We talk about it. Awesome sauce.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0287 (29 January 2012)

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Downloading show now. :D
Episode 291 and 300 coming up fast. Can't wait to see what you guys have planned. :shock:

EDIT: Wow, to think the year's only just started and shit is already starting to hit the fan. Secretly, I think this is 2006 again. Funimation's planning a "super-awesome" Dragon Ball release for next year...IN 3-D! :lol:

Oh well, no 4:3 release for New Zealand.*Stares at Dragon Box 3 sitting by itself on my shelf* :cry:

Great episode guys!

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Hujio's story at the end was hilarious about his college friend and her purse.

I remember years ago before I knew about Daizex and the orange bricks were being released on some website (I don't remember what site it is now) people were saying they were waiting for a Dragon Ball release on Blu-ray and weren't buying the orange bricks. Maybe those are the fans who demanded this release? I think by the time the Blu-rays came out though after the Dragon Boxes fans just became fatigued of Dragon Ball Z releases.

I hope Funimation now takes the time to hopefully release the rest of the Dragon Boxes.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:52 pm

Great epidode! VegettoEX I laughed when you guys started making the southern thing. Because I'm from Kentucky so I got a good laugh :D Nice beer talk at the end :)

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:55 am

ME! I'm the fan you're looking for. I bought the DB double releases, the Z/GT singles, the cancelled UUE singles, the blue/orange/green boxsets, the Dboxes, the steelcases, and all of Kai on Bluray [thus far] and depending on which movie, I own them on four different releases.....Yes, I AM Funi's piggybank....and I got level 1.1 and 1.2 and was super excited to have all of them in a row with the spine art on display, and I do with all of the others on my shelf.

It sucks that they are suspending it and I'll still continue to have hope for future releases.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:08 am

PuppetDoctor wrote:I hope Funimation now takes the time to hopefully release the rest of the Dragon Boxes.
They won't anytime soon. They said so.

My opinion probably won't happen. a lot of fans say why funimation released the Z Dragon Boxes was to make up for the Z season sets.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:32 am

Awesome podcast. Loved that nearly all the responses have been "lolz, I got the Dragon Boxes". Sucks that a lot of people might not be able to get the first four that easily anymore, though.
Also, the beer talk in the ends was awesome.
Gotham22 wrote:My opinion probably won't happen. a lot of fans say why funimation released the Z Dragon Boxes was to make up for the Z season sets.
As far as I'm concerned, the Dragon Boxes are a single collection of the series, just like the "Digitally Remastered" line, so they better release them lol. We're also still missing the two TV Special that belong to the Z Boxes.

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:05 pm

Gotham22 wrote:
PuppetDoctor wrote:I hope Funimation now takes the time to hopefully release the rest of the Dragon Boxes.
They won't anytime soon. They said so.

My opinion probably won't happen. a lot of fans say why funimation released the Z Dragon Boxes was to make up for the Z season sets.
Not to derail this thread but when did Funimation ever said that? :?

On topic, was shocked that Mike and gang made such a short episode this time around. You guys didn't poke as much at this as I thought you would given the circumstance but you're right that it was a possibility that had been discussed before on the show.

Since I am too lazy to want to send in a e-mail about it, Mike is there any chance that you would do a podcast doing a product-line review of all seven Dragon Boxes from Funimation to contrast with the original Toei release? Thinks you thought that would have been included but were left out? Things that weren't & did? Although this last one I have a pretty good idea what it is, something to do with GT perhaps? :wink:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:30 pm

You felt it was a short show...? I really don't (and didn't at the time) think that talking about any other aspect any longer would have accomplished much. What did you think we left out?

(My favorite Shakespeare quote has always been, "Brevity is the soul of wit." At ~47 minutes I wouldn't say it was "brief" for a show, but it also didn't drag on as long and as pointlessly-circular as it could have been.)

We've talked many times about the Japanese release of the Dragon Box versus FUNimation's release, and I don't think it's worth (especially at this point when it's all out and already going out-of-stock) comparing them yet again. At this point, anyone who wants to know already knows -- through listening to the podcast, reading reviews on this and other sites, etc. -- what they're missing, what they've gained, etc.

We really don't have much more to say other than, "We got subtitles, we got it nice and cheap, but it's missing the extra commercials and stuff; oh well!"
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You felt it was a short show...? I really don't (and didn't at the time) think that talking about any other aspect any longer would have accomplished much. What did you think we left out?

(My favorite Shakespeare quote has always been, "Brevity is the soul of wit." At ~47 minutes I wouldn't say it was "brief" for a show, but it also didn't drag on as long and as pointlessly-circular as it could have been.)
What can I say? Being spoiled in regard to my favorite episodes all being over an hour. Hearing you guys talk about almost anything makes it sound entertaining in and of itself. :lol:
VegettoEX wrote: We've talked many times about the Japanese release of the Dragon Box versus FUNimation's release, and I don't think it's worth (especially at this point when it's all out and already going out-of-stock) comparing them yet again. At this point, anyone who wants to know already knows -- through listening to the podcast, reading reviews on this and other sites, etc. -- what they're missing, what they've gained, etc.

We really don't have much more to say other than, "We got subtitles, we got it nice and cheap, but it's missing the extra commercials and stuff; oh well!"
You got a point. Just figured for a very opinionated bunch there would be a more interesting conversation/topic for a podcast than that I guess. :wink:

EdHilario

Post by EdHilario » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 am

Been listening to the podcast and downloading them just recently. Picked up the Dragon Box box sets (1-7) recently after days of searching online and locally. Spent a pretty penny but it was worth it. The only thing I'm afraid of was finding the ones out of print and in the event that I found them, if they were going to cost ~$100-300 (eg. Amazon - Used!).

I had found a couple of discs (13 and 32) with deep scratches that were causing them to skip. I had called the store where I bought it from and they could only offer me a refund since I pretty much took the remaining stock they had and other stores in the area were also sold out of them or had the packaging beaten to shit. I also e-mailed FUNimation (productconcerns) last week but no response. Fortunately, several more days of searching, I found replacement box sets although the store wouldn't let me simply swap the damaged discs. The replacement volumes seemed to have all the discs intact although the previous boxes I gave back were in better shape. Oh well.

With regards this episode of the podcast, I think that FUNimation shouldn't have gone through so many different releases. The fact there are also incomplete sets really hurt the fans but at the same time if from a financial/business aspect that they had to fall through may be reasonable. The multiple releases is almost becoming like Star Wars re-releases every so often. Quality over quantity as well as timing would have served their production/sales better.

I'm a fan of the original, old school series and love to see the series the way it's meant to be seen. Japanese audio with proper translated subtitles and 4:3 with film grain or not are fine with me. Never followed Kai and it feels almost unnecessary for the series to even go on BD disc. 16:9 and HD almost feels wrong but the I suppose the newer age fans demanded that format? Regardless, if FUNimation would have invested in one proper release (Dragon Boxes ;) ) and continued production then both old school and new school fans would be happy.

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:29 pm

EdHilario wrote:Regardless, if FUNimation would have invested in one proper release (Dragon Boxes ;) ) and continued production then both old school and new school fans would be happy.
You speak the truth mate! 8)

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:06 pm

New school fans are dub fans.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Gotham22 wrote:New school fans are dub fans.
Perhaps? Depends what dub you're talking about. Not to mention which show.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:22 am

Gotham22 wrote:New school fans are dub fans.
I don't think dub vs. sub is really relevant, we're all fans of Dragon Ball regardless of version.

Anyway, I have to say I totally agree with the "entitlement" attitude as mentioned in regards to the number of episodes presented on the Blu-rays and the cost. It was an extremely reasonable cost considering Blu-rays are usually more expensive than DVDs and a DVD set with 12 Naruto episodes sell for $36.75* and the DBZ Blu-rays sell for $26.99* for 17 episodes and you can probably find them cheaper. So, if it would mean paying more for the sets in order for the cost of restoring the footage making business sense, then I think that would be very reasonable.

*Prices given in Canadian funds.

If people really are complaining that the episode count isn't on par with the orange sets, look at the quality of the episodes on the orange sets. If you want the highest quality FUNimation can produce with the materials at their disposal, then you're going to have to pay more. If it was a Toei release, you'd probably have to take out a mortgage just to get a complete set of DBZ let along Dragon Ball or GT.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:07 am

Spended, not cancelled.

True, if you don't have the dragon boxes then you're pretty screwed with the season sets or just hunt down the UUE and the old singles.

hopefully this will be all worked out soon.

Those replies were a little annoying. dragon boxes, dragon boxes, dragon boxes......... :roll:

EdHilario

Post by EdHilario » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:03 am

Gotham22 wrote:Those replies were a little annoying. dragon boxes, dragon boxes, dragon boxes......... :roll:
lol yeah. Mike and the gang really did a good job of brainwashing the audience.
I honestly would consider getting another complete set of all 7 volumes as a back up collection though. :D

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Listening to the podcast... good stuff all around, brought up most of the stuff from the thread without going nuts.

-It's not a mystery at all why a lot of scenes in Kai were reanimated. You can almost always track it to censorship, fitting it to 16x9, or removing the strobe effects which you are legally not allowed to do in new productions anymore due to the Pokémon incident. If you want to hear a Japanese director complaining about this, pick up the Project A-Ko DVD, because he laments in the amazing commentary (and if you're an animation fan who hasn't listened to it, for shame) how everyone got punished for it and not just the people who animated that episode. He explains you can't flicker between two frames anymore due to law, and Dragonball Z is FULL of this. There's an episode during the Goku vs. Vegeta fight where I remember my TV used to hum.

-Re: Robert's Anime Corner Store comment, ANN actually updated their news that got word from Funi that refutes sales specifically as the reasoning, and I'm surprised you didn't at least bring this up. Of course, they're not going to say sales are lackluster even if they really were, but they *did* directly comment on it.

-Thanks for bringing up the fact that the UUE stuff was soooooo long ago and that we've had a bunch of good, complete releases recently.

-Hujio's comment about Kai being pretty cheap on Amazon, ha ha, looks like the cancellation has artificially pushed up the price on the first 4 disks finally: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ai&x=0&y=0

-Podcast was definitely the right length.
Last edited by Ashura on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Ashura wrote:-It's not a mystery at all why a lot of scenes in Kai were reanimated. You can almost always track it to censorship, fitting it to 16x9, or removing the strobe effects which you are legally not allowed to do in new productions anymore due to the Pokémon incident. If you want to hear a Japanese director complaining about this, pick up the Project A-Ko DVD, because he laments in the amazing commentary (and if you're an animation fan who hasn't listened to it, for shame) how everyone got punished for it and not just the people who animated that episode. He explains you can't flicker between two frames anymore due to law, and Dragonball Z is FULL of this. There's an episode during the Goku vs. Vegeta fight where I remember my TV used to hum.
Not all of them fit this description, though. Some are -- as we said -- seemingly arbitrary.
Ashura wrote:-Re: Robert's Anime Corner Store comment, ANN actually updated their news that got word from Funi that refutes sales specifically as the reasoning, and I'm surprised you didn't at least bring this up. Of course, they're not going to say sales are lackluster even if they really were, but they *did* directly comment on it.
That update was not there when we recorded the show.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Not all of them fit this description, though. Some are -- as we said -- seemingly arbitrary.
Some maybe, but not the majority? It seems to me that any of the arbitrary ones were probably frame damaged or too grainy and resistant to the digital remastering process, which, yeah, I forgot to mention. :) I guess the most arbitrary ones seem to be reaction shots between non-remastered stuff in the Namek episodes, but I would bet it's the above for those ones.

(I think the worst thing about all of those scenes is the fact that they're badly traced rather than arbitrary...)
VegettoEX wrote:That update was not there when we recorded the show.
Actually, the day before I think. I can't keep up with that thread either, though... I probably would've missed it if I didn't post the news myself too.