Episode #0004 (11 December 2005)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0004 (11 December 2005)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:47 am

Episode #0004 (download MP3)
69:42; 64 kbps, mono; 31.9 MB

Episode #0004! VegettoEX and Meri bring on Scott Melzer (This is Otakudom, S.T.E.A.M., This is DBZ Life) to talk about DragonBall's place in other areas of anime fandom. From anime music videos to fan parodies, how is DBZ portrayed, how is it used, and what is it like to use it? What is it like to be a DBZ fan both on the creative and general-viewer end of things? We also drill Scott and Meri on all things favorite in DBZ! Referenced sites: Special guests: Meri & Scott Melzer

Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the *four*episodes, now. This episode is significantly longer than the ones we've done, previously. I both apologize for this and encourge you all to enjoy it (strangely enough). The topics covered may be something a lot of you aren't all that familiar with, but hopefully since it involves DragonBall in some really neat ways, you'll be able to pull something out of it and at least gain some kind of understanding (be it a new or enhanced understanding) of where this is all coming from. Seriously, there's some awesome stuff in here.

If you *do* happen to be of the ADD variety (in all honesty, the episode's a little over an hour long, so I wouldn't blame you 8)), we begin with introductions and a talk about DBZ and its use/portrayal in AMVs, move on to fan parodies ~28:00, and then into general fandom (of Scott's) ~45:30.

As a special bonus for all of you, godofchaos has also thrown up "This is DBZ Life" for direct download (right-click, "Save As"; MPEG-1, 320x240, 56.6 MB). If you're an AMVorg member, you can also download it from its respective entry. "Live and Let Die" has no digital version (Scott will eventually remaster it once the rest of the footage is actually available).

Please note that godofchaos set up a new DNS entry for hosting the files. If the link isn't working (well, any podcast-related links), it simply means that your ISP hasn't gotten the propogated IP. It usually fixes itself within 24 hours, so just try back in a little bit if you're having problems!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:30 am

Good to see your podcast out, been waiting for this since last one :)

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:36 pm

Yeah. Despite it being an hour or so, it was great. I loved it, and will know to expect greater things.

And maybe we should reprimand Julian for not being there, hmm?

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:30 pm

It's incredible how fast these episodes are getting pumped out. Just how long can you keep this speed up for, hm? Either way, I'm loving it.

Haha. I remember the Roshambo thing. I had seen the South Park episode, so yes, I thought of the nut-kickings at first... but then I came to the conclusion that "Roshambo" was originally another term for Rock-Paper-Scissors, thinking Cartman had personally changed the meaning into something way funnier.

My brain just works like that, creates rational excuses for oddities such as Roshambo. It was cool to hear you guys talk about it as if it simply did not belong.

So, yeah. It's amazing what I actually learn from the podcast episodes.

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:04 am

Meri's music videos were some of the first moments of DB I ever saw. Most of the DBZ stuff on the web were just clips like "Gohan fights Buu for a few seconds, Vegetto goes SSJ, Gohan goes SSJ in the Time Chamber," stuff like that, but with no context. The videos gave it that context it needed, for the most part. Favorites were "Who Wants to Live Forever," "Bye Bye Bye," and "Break Me." Ooh, I'm gonna go watch em again. Nostalgia...

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:42 am

Great episode guys! It took me awhile to get through it, but it was worth it. Keep up the great work!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:45 pm

I had no idea roshambo meant something completely different. I wonder which South Park episode it was in...(thinks it might've been the pkmn parody one).
Seriously I thought it was just another way to say rock paper scissors before this.

I have a question about the chapter right before the roshambo one. In Viz's translation on the first page the Ginyu Force arrive face to face with Vegeta and the others, Ginyu taunts and calls him "Vegeta-chan". Was this in the japanese version? I've never heard of Viz using those add-ons to names in their DB and I know they took it out once it was put into graphic novel form. :?:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:52 pm

Hmm, that was something new, a bit off the pace of DragonBall, but I still liked it. That Scott is a funny guy, props to him.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:25 pm

I did a search and yes "Roshambo" is another term for "Rock, Paper, Scissors". According to an article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roshambo

What happened on South Park was "Rochambeau".

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:45 pm

Aww... I'm somewhat crushed that Hunter x Hunter isn't even mentioned in the "pop culture trivia" section. Janken is such a big part of the series... and yet nothing. Somebody should add it. Yeah, you.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:09 am

Super Sonic wrote:I did a search and yes "Roshambo" is another term for "Rock, Paper, Scissors". According to an article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roshambo

What happened on South Park was "Rochambeau".
Err, no... it was Cartman's uninformed (as usual) interpretation of said term.

Do I need to listen to the podcast to hear what Mike and Scott said "Roshambo" was? :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:17 pm

Could I have Scott's e-mail address please? I can't seem to find it when I heard it again, but I GOTTA send this guy an e-mail, he's made my day XD

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:28 pm

Kirbopher wrote:Could I have Scott's e-mail address please? I can't seem to find it when I heard it again, but I GOTTA send this guy an e-mail, he's made my day XD
kdreams@eticomm.net

Scott's AnimeMusicVideos.org profile can be found at:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=10758
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:29 am

Scott was absolutely hilarious in that episode. I don't know him but I know his music videos. It was neat that he was so modest about them. I mean, the guy is an AMV God in every sense of the phrase (esspecially with This Is DBZ Life!) Not to say that Vegetto EX and Meri C haven't had there moments, (doomrider immediately comes to mind.) :) But that part where Scott started ranting about Toriyama's thoughts in a change of art style had me laughing on and off for a solid minute. Probably the best one from a comedic standpoint.
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:36 pm

I've not even seen a AMV, and I enjoyed it... I giggled during a lot of it though. That Scott guy is hillarious, you've got to get him on it more.

Tapion
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tapion » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:26 am

Great! They just keep gettin' longer & longer! =P
The new one's to be posted today, right??

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:13 pm

The next episode is being encoded right now. We usually record on Friday nights, but Meri and I had a prior commitment, so we recorded Saturday afternoon. And then we went out :P. So I didn't get a chance to edit it until last night and this morning. Gotta bug-check it, and then it'll be off to godofchaos for posting. Don't worry... it's a-comin'! :D

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:51 pm

I agree with everyone that Scott is hilarious and I also enjoyed the episode in general although it was indeed different than usual. Great job as always ;)
Who said life isn't a game?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:53 pm

I can't wait for the next podcast, bring it on, guys!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:00 pm

Well, I was pleasantly suprised to hear Scott interviewed about "S.T.E.A.M. the movie". To me that creation was pure genius. I still giggle at "Yaoi-Ai for the Shonen Guy" and Vegeta's protrayal of "the best friend". XD

And I also love "Spacepeople DBZ", so leave Meri alone! :P
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."