Episode #0008 (08 January 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:21 pm

Maybe he meant his TRUE form as vegeta would of said that ssj 2 is his TRUE power.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:33 pm

Dominator wrote:At first I wasn't very interesting, but after downloading episode 6 you got me hooked. Damn you Mike :)

Anyway, you're probably tired of all the oun talk but I'd like to know about the characters Bebi, Dr. Myuu and Dr. Raichi to see if their names are puns on fruit.
http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... ght=#52339

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:54 pm

Socar15 wrote:Even though Toriyama approved of Cooler, it still doesn't have much bearing on his story. But even so, I always thought that Cooler's 5th transformation was just a normal power up transformation like Zarbon's. I still stick by the fact that Freeza said his fourth form was his "true form". Cooler's transformation is pretty cool looking though.
I agree. I think Cooler is unique in being able to transform above his true form.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:23 pm

But don't you think when the idea came up for Movie 5, Toriyama would have said, "Hey guys, that's not how the Cold family goes".
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:30 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:But don't you think when the idea came up for Movie 5, Toriyama would have said, "Hey guys, that's not how the Cold family goes".
Considering that Toriyama once stated in an interview that he thought of the movies as being in a different dimension from his own work, I don't think he would particularly care. The fact is Toei wanted to have a new cool-looking form for Cooler. Toriyama isn't about to go and say "No, you can't have that."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:19 am

Socar15 wrote:Considering that Toriyama once stated in an interview that he thought of the movies as being in a different dimension from his own work, I don't think he would particularly care. The fact is Toei wanted to have a new cool-looking form for Cooler. Toriyama isn't about to go and say "No, you can't have that."
Especially considering he's the one that did the designs for movie 5.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:18 pm

Also, they're a race of "polymorphic extraterrestrials." Transformations to them could be what specialized ki techniques (Kamehameha, Big Bang, Sokidan, etc) are to everyone else. Freeza likes to use transformations to conserve energy, while Cooler uses them in the traditional sense as a power-up.

Another thing I should mention is that, being polymorphs, the race as a whole may not share a unique "true" form. Similar forms might arise from simply being apart of the same family, or "learning" the same transformations.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:09 pm

Well, I'm not sure if this means anything for the debate, but Kureeza also states when transforming something about his "true" Form. Maybe that's another little hint to us.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

andrew

Post by andrew » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:15 am

Why didn't king cold transform

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:35 am

andrew wrote:Why didn't king cold transform
Questions end in question marks :).

And... uhh... because Trunks killed him right away. We don't know.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:55 am

VegettoEX wrote:
andrew wrote:Why didn't king cold transform
Questions end in question marks :).

And... uhh... because Trunks killed him right away. We don't know.
It makes sense if you think about it: he was expecting Mecha Freeza to be more than powerful enough to kill SSJ Goku on his own. Instead, Trunks comes along and kills Freeza instantly. He could have transformed, but it would take a while and accomplish nothing since he's weaker than Freeza anyway. Added to this, he thought it was all in Trunks' sword, so why should he bother revealing his intentions with a useless transformation when he can just quickly slash Trunks and be done with it?

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Also King Cold may of thought that he would get chopped up if he even tried to transform.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:41 pm

Great job on the podcast, I'm really enjoying it. I also agree in that Scott McNeil's voice for Piccolo was much better than Christopher Sabat's, especially in the Saiyan saga. His devivery came across more powerfull, and you could feel the father-son relationship between him and Gohan growing. With Sabat, it almost seemed as if he was friends with Goku and he already knew Gohan well. His voice is definatly my favorite for Piccolo.

About Frieza, this is how I see it. The members of Frieza's race are born in their first form and each time they develope a new one they naturally stay in in that form from then on. Wich is why Frieza called his final form his "true form". They are also able to consele their power by going back and staying in previous forms, because that is the one that they are most comfortable in. Cooler developed one more transformation than Frieza, and it would be the form that he would naturally stay in; but he chooses to stay in his fourth form just as Frieza chooses to stay in his first and, by the looks of it, King Cold chooses to stay in his second.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku