Episode #0009 (15 January 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0009 (15 January 2006)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:00 pm

Episode #0009 (download MP3)
53:48; 64 kbps, mono; 24.6 MB

Episode #0009! VegettoEX, Julian, and Meri go over the latest news (delayed video games and new Japanese CDs), and give you a detailed history of DBZ's distribution in North America. Just why is there an Ultimate Uncut Edition, and how does this related to the entire rest of the series? Referenced sites: Special guests: Us! (Mike, Julian, Meri)

Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the *nine* episodes, now. We hopped Julian up on caffeine and alcohol to join us for the week and share a few initial stories from his current trip to and studies in Japan.

Beyond the obligatory game & CD news, we go really in-depth with the whole history on DBZ and its production/distribution in North America. One thing I don't think we quite made explict enough is that DBZ movies 1-3 fell under that sub-license with Pioneer, and so when said sub-license ran up, FUNimation went ahead and began to re-release those movies (whether or not you feel they belong with the "Ultimate Uncut Edition" label is kinda irrelevant, I guess). We're happy to answer any other questions people might have on the subject.

Have fun!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:04 pm

about the 'why does it say trimark, kidsmark, lions gate WHY' thing

trimark was the dvd distibutor and put it on their kidsmark label, then they were bought by lions gate awile ago, but lions gate decided not to dissolve the companies into lions gate

and saban is (more or less) gone, they were bought by disney when disney bought foxfamily from fox and saban (haim saban got a few billion dollars), the saban music division still exists, and still owns the music to all the stuff saban did, x-men, power rangers, all that stuff

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:33 pm

VegettoEX, since you were on the whole topic of the "ultimate uncut dvds", do you think you could bring up the issue with a supposedly inserted sound effect that made its way into the Japanese version on the new Dead Zone dvd? Thought I don't have the new dvd, I haven't been able to confirm this for myself, but it sounds like one of those inserted sounds that was in the dub on the Pioneer release somehow got inserted into the Japanese track on the new release.

The original thread that discusses this is here:

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:02 pm

Happy 8th Birthday Daizex :o

Thanks for remembering to do the rest of my question. Dameon Clarke and Kyle Hebert both DID move to LA, but they didn't leave FUNimation, so they can still do voices for any of their current animes if they happen to be in (or are called down to) the Dallas area. Kyle's gonna be playing Kiba in the english dub of Naruto, and Mike McFarland says that Dameon is gonna be in a Keanu Reeves movie apparantly.

JAKEMAN
Beyond Newbie

Post by JAKEMAN » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:58 pm

Thank you for answering my question, was the creepy remark meant by me?
Remember these things I tell you
*Dragonball GT: The GT Stands for Good Tunes
DS Friend Code

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:43 pm

JAKEMAN wrote:Thank you for answering my question, was the creepy remark meant by me?
I think he was making a joke about how much he loves getting audio e-mails.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:55 am

I am still listening to the Podcast, but I am afraid I will forget to ask this.....

Mike, why do you hate Season 3? I couldn't heard what you said "I was so pissed....it was so.....". What did you say?

Also, I like Season 3 =/
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:16 am

Nice Podcast yet again guys. Though I don't think Julian's relationship with an 8 year old is good subject to discuss. :P Anyway, happy birthday to the site, and to Meri!
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:21 am

Kirbopher wrote:Happy 8th Birthday Daizex :o

Thanks for remembering to do the rest of my question. Dameon Clarke and Kyle Hebert both DID move to LA, but they didn't leave FUNimation, so they can still do voices for any of their current animes if they happen to be in (or are called down to) the Dallas area. Kyle's gonna be playing Kiba in the english dub of Naruto, and Mike McFarland says that Dameon is gonna be in a Keanu Reeves movie apparantly.
Dameon Clark I heard is also doing some bad guy (or I've heard he's kind of a bad guy) on FMA though it was already recorded.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:51 am

That would be Scar he was providing the voice to. :P

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:15 pm

When you guys record, what type of mic do you use? Is it a headset? If that's the case, try to place the mic right above your nose. This way you'll take away the occasional breathing that takes place, and also takes away the nasal sound. So far, it sounds like everybody has a cold.

If you guys have already tried this, then disregard this post. :D
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:45 pm

I have a mixer and two mics with wind-guards on table-stands. Julian, however, has the headset :). He's the one bringing in all the problems!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:49 pm

OK, great episode as always. Also Happy 25'th Meri & Happy 8'th Daiz EX.

*about 16 Hours ago*

*is listening to the Podcast*

Mike: haha, I'm going to call you Great Siyaman

Me: Image

:lol:

Oh btw, I probably won't be sending in a question this week cause I can't think of anything good. But I don't want you to think that I am some oddly sensitive guy & I think you were making fun of me, cause I am not & I don't :lol:
Last edited by Great Saiyaman on Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:29 pm

Great Saiyaman wrote:OK, great episode as always. Also Happy 25'th Meri & Happy 8'th Daiz EX.

*about 16 Hours ago*

*is listening to the Podcast*

Mike: haha, I'm going to call you Great Siyaman

Me: Image

:lol:

Oh btw, I probably won't be sending in a question this week cause I can't think of anything good. But I don't want you to think that I am some oddly sensitive guy & I think you were making fun of me, case I am not & I don't :lol:
He's not making fun of you; that's how Saiyaman is supposed to be pronounced.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:41 pm

*cough*I am a dubbie*cough*

iku_san

Post by iku_san » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:04 pm

This week's podcast was excellent as usual. Living all the way in UK, I find it pretty interesting how the many different types of DVDs you have for one anime series, especially how we don't have many.
In response to your second audio email in this weeks episode regarding the Bridge Entertainment's dubbed movies, if memory serves me well, I have seen their version of DBZ Movie 6 and I also have a weak memory of an advert for Movie 8 during Toonami's "Destination Friday" slot a few months back. Never being at home in time on a Friday, I'm not 100% sure if I was imagining this or not, so my final answer is that Movie 6 has definately been dubbed and possibly #7 and #8. As for DVDs, I still only see DBZ Movies 2, 3 and 4 around.

Also on topic with the Bridge Entertainment dubs, along with "Big Green" as Piccolo, the DragonBalls are always referenced as "Crystal Balls" and I believe that many of the minor characters such as Puuar and Uulong aren't ever called by name.

Regards,
Yik

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:24 pm

Are there any words in English that start with "Sai" that are pronounced "Say"? In fact, are there any words in English that start with "sai" anyway?

If the answer is "no" to these, then why has FUNimation perpetuated this annoying mispronunciation?
Where's the beef?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:58 pm

Because it's been mispronounced since the begining. FUNimation's not known for being consistant, as you may already know from the often back and forth pronounciations of Kaio-Ken being "Kay-oh-Ken" and "Kai-oh-Ken."

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:51 pm

Perhaps because Saiyan rolls off the tongue better than Siyan. Either way, who cares? 90% of America prononces it that way, it won't go away :wink:

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:22 pm

Tsukento wrote:That would be Scar he was providing the voice to. :P
Younger Brother Toguro on YYH too.