10 Years of Dragon Ball (Z) Kai (2009-2019)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular

Re: 10 Years of Dragon Ball (Z) Kai (2009-2019)

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:53 am
coola wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:20 pm
I'm not sure if Kai was intended to replace Z, but if it was, than it failed, sales were prety bad in Japan even before whole scandal started, and even before Super came, toys stopped having Kai name after a while, even with upcoming Kakarot game, they used DB/DBZ Kikuchi score.
The idea of a ''new'' series including less filler and more accurate to the manga was the best thing ever, though. Too bad it wasn't executed that well.
If anything, what i am glad about the most with Kai existing is FUNi's dub. It gave them the chance to go back and show how far they had progressed in the decade plus since first assuming the voices and they succeeded for the most part, that definitely shows because on the whole it stands head and shoulders above the old Z dub in just about every way possible from the acting, scripts and overall faithfulness to the original. I'm glad that i have a version of the show in English with the FUNi cast that i can watch which doesn't make me want to constantly roll my eyes or cringe in disgust. True, some of the returning voices and recasts may not be the greatest but overall it's really good and by far their best dub work in the 20 years that they've been involved with the franchise.

Paulo Gabriel
Temporarily Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 am
Paulo Gabriel wrote:
coola wrote:
I'm not sure if Kai was intended to replace Z, but if it was, than it failed, sales were prety bad in Japan even before whole scandal started, and even before Super came, toys stopped having Kai name after a while, even with upcoming Kakarot game, they used DB/DBZ Kikuchi score.
The idea of a ''new'' series including less filler and more accurate to the manga was the best thing ever, though. Too bad it wasn't executed that well.
If anything, what i am glad about the most with Kai existing is FUNi's dub. It gave them the chance to go back and show how far they had progressed in the decade plus since first assuming the voices and they succeeded for the most part, that definitely shows because on the whole it stands head and shoulders above the old Z dub in just about every way possible from the acting, scripts and overall faithfulness to the original. I'm glad that i have a version of the show in English with the FUNi cast that i can watch which doesn't make me want to constantly roll my eyes or cringe in disgust. True, some of the returning voices and recasts may not be the greatest but overall it's really good and by far their best dub work in the 20 years that they've been involved with the franchise.
Disagree. Z needed improvement. Like, hugely so.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Paulo Gabriel wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:

Well, we at least got a much better acted and scripted dub with Kai though a complete accurate re dub of Z would've been great if FUNi had made the effort to do so rather than just the 2007 patchwork partial one for the Orange Bricks which only got up to just past the Garlic Jr. arc before they stopped, thus leaving Trunks and onwards more or less the same as they'd been on the single DVDs minus Dale Kelly's narration being further replaced with Kyle Herbert and some other differences.

Paulo Gabriel
Temporarily Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:08 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:12 pm
Paulo Gabriel wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

Well, we at least got a much better acted and scripted dub with Kai though a complete accurate re dub of Z would've been great if FUNi had made the effort to do so rather than just the 2007 patchwork partial one for the Orange Bricks which only got up to just past the Garlic Jr. arc before they stopped, thus leaving Trunks and onwards more or less the same as they'd been on the single DVDs minus Dale Kelly's narration being further replaced with Kyle Herbert and some other differences.
Do you think Z didn't need to cut filler? Did you actually like the scenes with the Ginyu Force on Planet Namek? If so, of course I respect you, but I can't say I agree...

SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:08 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:

Do you think Z didn't need to cut filler? Did you actually like the scenes with the Ginyu Force on Planet Namek? If so, of course I respect you, but I can't say I agree...
No i misunderstood your above post, i do actually like that they cut out a large portion of the filler scenes/episodes in Kai a la things such as Goku falling down to Hell, Princess Snake and the Garlic Jr. arc. It not only made the show far more accurate to the manga but also eliminated a great many of the ones that i never have particularly cared for.

Paulo Gabriel
Temporarily Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:49 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 am
Paulo Gabriel wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:08 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

No i misunderstood your above post, i do actually like that they cut out a large portion of the filler scenes/episodes in Kai a la things such as Goku falling down to Hell, Princess Snake and the Garlic Jr. arc. It not only made the show far more accurate to the manga but also eliminated a great many of the ones that i never have particularly cared for.
Ok.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 am

I mean, Toei was really off to a good start. They at least tried to give us what they thought was best. New music, re-recorded audio (which they had to do as they lost the original voice tapes), and remastered visuals... which the redrawn shots weren't good, but at least Toei tried... I guess?

Unfortunately the series obviously wasn't a hit in Japan, so they scrapped it, thought Toriko could do better, scrapped that, then had to re-edit Boo Kai (which was initially an international exclusive as Kai was way more popular outside of Japan). Boo Kai has its own fair share of problems as well.

MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:57 am

coola wrote:
I’m pretty sure it was just a cheap way to sell old toys.

Even Battle of Gods and Resurrection F used the Z branding and not Kai.

You could make the argument the Kai dub has replaced Z but even then Funimation is all too aware their dumpster fire is the moneymaker and they’re in no rush to disown it.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:57 am
You could make the argument the Kai dub has replaced Z but even then Funimation is all too aware their dumpster fire is the moneymaker and they’re in no rush to disown it.
At first, it really seemed that way, Sabat and others even talked about how happy they were they can make proper dub this time, but then, music scandal came, and after that, i ve felt like they stopped caring (There was lot more dumb mistakes post Freeza arc) i might be wrong of course :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:03 pm

coola wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:43 pm
MasenkoHA wrote:
At first, it really seemed that way, Sabat and others even talked about how happy they were they can make proper dub this time, but then, music scandal came, and after that, i ve felt like they stopped caring (There was lot more dumb mistakes post Freeza arc) i might be wrong of course :)
That’s more or less the impression I got. Sabat was pretty vocal about how much better Kai’s dub was all around and that Z’s dub only had nostalgia going for it. And while Schemmel seemed to have too much pride to admit his work on Z was almost entirely shit he at least seemed to imply he liked Kai better too. Though he seemed more on the “its closer to the manga” front than the “It let me fix past mistakes” front.

It does seem the efforts to stick closely to the script sort of faltered after Kai 1.0/Battle of the Gods. I have no idea if its because of the music scandal or if endless fanboy whining discouraged them. From what I’ve seen Super’s dub is trying way too hard to cater to people who like the closer to the Japanese script from Kai, and appeal to people who like Z’s add ons, and then also appease people who don’t give a shit about Dragon Ball Z dub or sub and think abridged is the superior version.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:03 pm
coola wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
That’s more or less the impression I got. Sabat was pretty vocal about how much better Kai’s dub was all around and that Z’s dub only had nostalgia going for it. And while Schemmel seemed to have too much pride to admit his work on Z was almost entirely shit he at least seemed to imply he liked Kai better too. Though he seemed more on the “its closer to the manga” front than the “It let me fix past mistakes” front.

It does seem the efforts to stick closely to the script sort of faltered after Kai 1.0/Battle of the Gods. I have no idea if its because of the music scandal or if endless fanboy whining discouraged them. From what I’ve seen Super’s dub is trying way too hard to cater to people who like the closer to the Japanese script from Kai, and appeal to people who like Z’s add ons, and then also appease people who don’t give a shit about Dragon Ball Z dub or sub and think abridged is the superior version.
To be clear, the dub for BoG was actually recorded after the dub for TFC.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:08 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:38 pm
MasenkoHA wrote:
coola wrote:

The movies tend to get even more accurate dubs than the series as of lately. Broly's dub was about as accurate as BOG, ROF and Kai 1.0.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- Madman Level 1.1

If interested PM with offers

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:34 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:08 am
WittyUsername wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:38 pm
MasenkoHA wrote:

The movies tend to get even more accurate dubs than the series as of lately. Broly's dub was about as accurate as BOG, ROF and Kai 1.0.
Ehhh, I think there's just been less scrutiny, mainly because of fewer people watching it subbed. I'm sure it has just as many inaccuracies and deviations as Funi have been putting in their dubs since TFC.

I do remember when it was new, I watched TFS's video talking about it, and there were a couple of lines they talked about that I didn't remember seeing in the subbed screening I was lucky enough to catch... So I think Funi still pulled their usual shit on this script.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.