Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sanjiscool
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragonball Kai Dub

Post by Sanjiscool » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:52 pm

I assure you it's something huge and something this community wants myself included. Sorry guys. :twisted:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Sanjiscool wrote:I assure you it's something huge and something this community wants myself included. Sorry guys. :twisted:
I don't even really know you all that well so how would I know what you want? :P
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:54 pm

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it will be that Schemmel changed his Kaio voice.

Sakura Con showed up to episode 6, right?

Doesn't Kaio make an appearance within the first 6 episodes? I know Goku starts running down the serpentine road in episode 4.

Anyone here who went?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:59 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it will be that Schemmel changed his Kaio voice.

Doesn't Kaio make an appearance within the first 6 episodes? I know Goku starts running down the serpentine road in episode 4.

Anyone here who went?
Actually, to my knowledge, it was only episodes 1-4 that were shown.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Mewzard wrote:
ohaimynameiserik wrote:The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it will be that Schemmel changed his Kaio voice.

Anyone here who went?
Ohhh, well see now I'm even more convinced.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:02 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
Mewzard wrote:

Anyone here who went?
Ohhh, well see now I'm even more convinced.
Actually, two extra were shown accidentally at a con.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Sanjiscool
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanjiscool » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:07 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Sanjiscool wrote:I assure you it's something huge and something this community wants myself included. Sorry guys. :twisted:
I don't even really know you all that well so how would I know what you want? :P
No matter who you are, you want this.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:09 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
penguintruth wrote:They've decided to recast Freeza after all?
No, that's just what you'll enjoy.
Yeah, sure. I'm the only one who wants Freeza recasted. And not, say, most people here.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:10 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Kaiou has plenty of lines in Episode 6. Don't you think we'd have heard from someone by now id his voice was different?
(they/she)

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:11 pm

penguintruth wrote: Yeah, sure. I'm the only one who wants Freeza recasted. And not, say, most people here.
Relax, I was just joking. :P

But if you want to be realistic, Freeza is not going to be recast. We already know Linda Young is going to be doing his voice.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:27 pm

A man can dream, can't he?

I'd settle for a Kaio recast, I guess.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Kendamu wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Kaiou has plenty of lines in Episode 6. Don't you think we'd have heard from someone by now id his voice was different?
Well, at Sakura-Con, it was just episodes one through three... :/

Why do people keep saying four? And where did they air one through six?!
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:37 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Well, at Sakura-Con, it was just episodes one through three... :/

Why do people keep saying four? And where did they air one through six?!
Recent conversation goes that 1-6 was aired by accident at Sakuracon instead of 1-4 (even though it was 1-3), but this is the first I've heard of this.
(they/she)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:43 pm

Didn't 1-6 air at Anime Boston? I remember hearing (I think on the ToonZone forum) that King Kai's voice still sounded about the same...
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:43 pm

Kendamu wrote:Recent conversation goes that 1-6 was aired by accident at Sakuracon instead of 1-4 (even though it was 1-3), but this is the first I've heard of this.
But... But I was there...! I sat and watched all three and then it was over. Lights came on and everyone was leaving. How could they've accidentally aired four, five, and six?! :shock:

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:44 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Recent conversation goes that 1-6 was aired by accident at Sakuracon instead of 1-4 (even though it was 1-3), but this is the first I've heard of this.
But... But I was there...! I sat and watched all three and then it was over. Lights came on and everyone was leaving. How could they've accidentally aired four, five, and six?! :shock:
Or so it would seem.......... :?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:50 pm

I just checked the program guide and right after Kai was the "Anime That Scarred Me For Life" panel, so unless episodes four, five, and six of Kai are scarring, I doubt FUNi aired any more of Kai.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Didn't 1-6 air at Anime Boston? I remember hearing (I think on the ToonZone forum) that King Kai's voice still sounded about the same...
I didn't even know about the Anime Boston showing. I figured I would've heard something about it around here before it ever happened and then we would've seen a bunch'a clips someone snuck or something.

Lessee... Hadn't we already confirmed the pronunciation of Saiyan with the con showing?

I'm trying to think of what could be so important in the first thirteen episodes that's a big thing that we all want to see...
(they/she)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Over 8,000?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Over 8,000?
Chris Sabat mentioned awhile back that "everybody wins" with that one. We assumed that it'd be "9000" on TV and "8000" on DVD.

This new secret was said to be BIG and SHOCKING.
(they/she)