"DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "DragonBall Z Kai" TV Broadcast Talkback

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:06 pm

penguintruth wrote:I, too, am interested in seeing the censored version of an censored version of an already censored show. I wonder how much more edited it can get. Perhaps it will just be the opening and closing credits. Though to be fair, that's probably the best part of Kai.
I dunno, Nicktoons cut those down too. It'll probably just be the title card.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Raditz and Goku probably won't even have flesh wounds.
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:44 pm

Cowboy Dev wrote:Raditz and Goku probably won't even have flesh wounds.
Tis' but a scratch!

Sorry couldn't resist.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:51 pm

Budogenkai wrote:
Tis' but a scratch!

Sorry couldn't resist.
But y'arm's off! You can't miss it, it's green!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Budogenkai wrote:
Tis' but a scratch!

Sorry couldn't resist.
But y'arm's off! You can't miss it, it's green!

Perfect. :lol:
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:57 am

There going to 'color correct' the apples Gohan eats from red to green. 'Cause you know, sour apples are green. :roll:

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:39 pm

Tonight's episode was dubbed pretty well. Whitehead sounded a little akward with the namekian lauguage but whatever.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Wow, no one else saw the episode?

I'm loving the dubbing work on this episode. A lot of good moments, and Piccolo sounds Zoro-esque, indeed. It's finally near, finally towards the fight with Freeza.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 pm

So Nicktoons goes from two new episodes four nights a week to one new episode four nights a week to two new episodes a week to now one new episode a month.

Wait until we get half an episode once a year.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:43 pm

When Freeza started unleashing his ki at the end, I got shivers. I can't wait to hear what Ayres does next!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:04 pm

penguintruth wrote:now one new episode a month.
...Wow...

We probably won't even be at the Cell arc by the time Kai finishes in Japan... Are they really dubbing that slowly?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:now one new episode a month.
...Wow...

We probably won't even be at the Cell arc by the time Kai finishes in Japan... Are they really dubbing that slowly?
They're in the late fourties as of a few days ago.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:51 pm

So, here's my thinking. This is based on circumstantial evidence, but I feel like its a safe assumption.

The promo after the episode today said "New episodes start October 20th!" Great news because he said "episodes"; as in, more than one. But that makes today's new episode really kind of a strange occurrence. Why did they randomly play one episode in between two runs? What was different about today?
The premier of NFL Rush Zone. NFL Rush Zone is a micro series that aired five minutes before today's episode of DBZ Kai. In ALL promos for NFL Rush Zone, Nicktoons promptly mentioned "RIGHT BEFORE A BRAND NEW FUCKING EPISODE OF DBZ KAI MOTHERFUCKERS!" I'm paraphrasing, but it was there. Soooo... Nicktoons was using DBZ Kai to piggyback views for their new series. Sleezy, but it shows that the network has so much confidence in Dragon Ball Z Kai, they used it to promote a show about the National Football League. The NFL is either already in season or about to start. That fact alone wasn't enough to push the new show, they had to sucker viewers in with a new episode of DBZ Kai. That's awesome. Nicktoons loves them some Dragon Ball.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:18 am

Innagadadavida wrote: The NFL is either already in season or about to start. That fact alone wasn't enough to push the new show, they had to sucker viewers in with a new episode of DBZ Kai. That's awesome. Nicktoons loves them some Dragon Ball.
Yes! I thought the same exact thing! Also, Rush Zone was pure shit, looks like they're gonna need all the help they can get for ratings for... whatever that was.

Ishtar318
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ishtar318 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:38 am

I can easily think of one other reason Nicktoons picked just today to air a new Kai episode...Labor Day. A lot of networks make a big deal having premieres on Labor Day/Labor Day Weekend, and Nicktoons is no exception. But seriously, we won't get more new episodes till October 20th? Odd.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:43 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Yes! I thought the same exact thing! Also, Rush Zone was pure shit, looks like they're gonna need all the help they can get for ratings for... whatever that was.
Hey, it got us to watch it. Suffice to say... it worked. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:44 am

Ishtar318 wrote:I can easily think of one other reason Nicktoons picked just today to air a new Kai episode...Labor Day. A lot of networks make a big deal having premieres on Labor Day/Labor Day Weekend, and Nicktoons is no exception. But seriously, we won't get more new episodes till October 20th? Odd.
Well, depending upon what material FUNimation gets they should be dubbing the Mecha Freeza stuff by that point. That would mean Nicktoons could potentially air the rest of the Namek arc (billed as the 'epic fight with Freeza' or some nonsense) thus increasing ratings during November sweeps.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:50 am

Didn't get to watch the New Episode as I was at work. But all I can say is...
Mewzard wrote:and Piccolo sounds Zoro-esque, indeed.
Aw man. I really hate it when Piccolo sounds like Zoro. It's just not Piccolo to me, it makes him sound more bland. It makes him sound like 90 other Chris Sabat characters. At least the Piccolo voice was slightly different.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:55 am

Gozar wrote:
Mewzard wrote:and Piccolo sounds Zoro-esque, indeed.
Aw man. I really hate it when Piccolo sounds like Zoro. It's just not Piccolo to me, it makes him sound more bland. It makes him sound like 90 other Chris Sabat characters. At least the Piccolo voice was slightly different.
Sabat must realize he sounds awful when he artificially deepens his voice that much. His actual acting is far better when just acts.
She/Her
bisexual milf

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:07 am

His current Piccolo is way better than the awful one he used throughout DBZ.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?