DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai Cable TV Version (NickToons) Edits! *Ep

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 pm

What the pfargtl? They changed the color of Gohan's tongue?! Um... okay, that has to be the oddest, most unexplainable censor in the entire history of Dragon Ball in America!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:What the pfargtl? They changed the color of Gohan's tongue?! Um... okay, that has to be the oddest, most unexplainable censor in the entire history of Dragon Ball in America!
Well, earlier in the topic, there was a theory that they affect all colors in the scene when they edit blood. I don't see why they'd have to, though. Is their editing software really that inferior? Even GIMP should be able to edit JUST the blood with absolute ease. :roll:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:What the pfargtl? They changed the color of Gohan's tongue?! Um... okay, that has to be the oddest, most unexplainable censor in the entire history of Dragon Ball in America!
As explained before, they just edit by the color pallete. They just selected red to edit into orange, and as a result everything with that shade of red got changed, whcih is why Recoome's hair is orange at times in the edited version.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Side note, anyone else notice Piccolo's bloodied up while Frieza's transforming into his final form and it isn't censored at all? Maybe they're not getting worse, afterall. :o

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:46 am

Wow, they censor words like "Idiot" and "Jerk"? These edits are getting worse by each episode! Image Hell back when DBZ aired on Cartoon Network there were rarely any edits at all!
jjgp1112 wrote:As explained before, they just edit by the color pallete. They just selected red to edit into orange, and as a result everything with that shade of red got changed, whcih is why Recoome's hair is orange at times in the edited version.
Then who ever does the editing job must be really lazy, especailly when they don't even check the edits before sending them on air...
Last edited by Son Geeko on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 am

So, vintage DragonBall Americana enthusiast Castor Troy is now hosting "DragonBall Uncensored". I know this seems a little random to throw this out there, but these comparisons I'm doing for Kai are totally inspired by this site. Back in the late 90's, it was pretty much the go-to place to find out what was cut out of the current US episode of DragonBall Z. I just wanted to plug it here since these comparisons are pretty much it's illegitimate love child. Check it out...

http://dbzu.3gkai.com/

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:13 am

Son Geeko wrote:Wow, they censor words like "Idiot" and "Jerk"? These edits are getting worse by each episode! Image Hell back when DBZ aired on Cartoon Network there were rarely any edits at all!
Not to mention reruns of classic and current Nicktoons using said words all the time. Double standards much?

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:So, vintage DragonBall Americana enthusiast Castor Troy is now hosting "DragonBall Uncensored". I know this seems a little random to throw this out there, but these comparisons I'm doing for Kai are totally inspired by this site. Back in the late 90's, it was pretty much the go-to place to find out what was cut out of the current US episode of DragonBall Z. I just wanted to plug it here since these comparisons are pretty much it's illegitimate love child. Check it out...

You know, I wonder what that guy's opinions on the Kai dub are

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:08 pm

MetalMadness wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:So, vintage DragonBall Americana enthusiast Castor Troy is now hosting "DragonBall Uncensored". I know this seems a little random to throw this out there, but these comparisons I'm doing for Kai are totally inspired by this site. Back in the late 90's, it was pretty much the go-to place to find out what was cut out of the current US episode of DragonBall Z. I just wanted to plug it here since these comparisons are pretty much it's illegitimate love child. Check it out...

You know, I wonder what that guy's opinions on the Kai dub are
I asked him via email. His response:
Well, Dragon Ball stuff kinda feels like ancient history to me nowadays, but I did come out of the woodwork to watch Kai, and it's really (almost) everything I wanted 14 years ago when the DBZ dub came out. They finally got it!
Of course, I'm sure this is his opinion on the uncut version.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Freeza Closes In! Mighty Porunga Grant Our Wish!

The Dragon has been summoned. Dende explains...

Side note: In both versions, a few shots later Porunga refers to himself as "The Maker Of Dreams".

Dende reminds Krillin that time is not on their side, Krillin responds...

The Dragon refuses this wish due to only being powerful enough to bring back one person at a time. Krillin says to Gohan...

A few shots later, Krillin yells...

Piccolo comes up with a plan. He tells Gohan to wish him back which in turn would resurrect Kami as a result, the Earth Dragon Balls would also return. Piccolo adds...

He continues on, telling Gohan he's eager for battle...

Now a plan is formed. Krillin now tells Dende the first new wish...

Meanwhile, Vegeta wakes up from his nap, sensing Freeza's ensuing arrival. He runs out of the room and thinks to himself...

Vegeta runs outside and pretty much gathers what's going down. There are a few dialogue edits in between Vegeta's lines...

As Piccolo get's wished back, he screams out...

As Piccolo vanishes from King Kai's planet, mad that he broke his promise to fight Freeza, King Kai calls him a "miserable fool". This was cut from the TV version.

As the second wish is granted, Vegeta arrives on the scene. As Vegeta approaches Krillin, Gohan and Dende, he just spurts out insult after insult. This is cut in the TV version.

Side Note: Now, I know I mentioned before I don't usually put the dialogue that was cut out for a scene into the image but, I already did it... again. So I guess if it's this small or if I find it amusing, I'll add it. I want everything to be consistent from beginning to end so, I didn't know if I should have deleted the word bubble or what. So, lets just say the cut scenes may or may not have the word bubbles in them. Sort of like a little bonus, it might not always happen but when it does consider it a bonus. :lol:

Vegeta then adds...

Gohan, for some odd reason, blurts out there is still one more wish yet to be granted. Vegeta demands Dende to tell the Dragon to grant him immortality. When Dende doesn't go fast enough Vegeta reminds him what will happen if Freeza gets there before his wish is granted...

As Dende tells the Dragon the wish, he dies, turning the DragonBalls into stone and turning Vegeta into one pissed off Saiyan. A little bit of an odd edit here, as Vegeta grunts out of anger. The TV version and uncut version have two different grunts. I think I know why. In the uncut version it almost sounds like Vegeta is saying "shit...shit!" under his breath. I don't actually think he's saying it, but if your a little kid you have the tenancy to see that and show your friends that Vegeta just said "shit", which in turn would probley make some parents mad. Bottom line. I don't think it is, but I can understand this change. Here is video clip to judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0It4MeowLk

Vegeta quickly adds...

As Vegeta approaches Krillin, Freeza appears! Freezing everyone with fear (oh, is that why they call him Freeza?). He asks them what happened to the Ginyu Force...

Freeza add's that he's never been so angry then he is right now. The following scene was shortened by 3 seconds to omit the first few words of Freeza's lines...

Side not: Hmm, just realized, I never came up with a "shortened" default image or text type. Usually I just mention before the image that the scene was shortened by so many seconds.

Vegeta then, stupidly, provokes Freeza...

Freeza powers up and the episode ends there. Only three more episodes left for this wave of comparisons!

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 am

I really hope these get better once they get into the Cell Arc. Cell can regenerate so I don't think it'd be that terrible to show him being knocked around a bit.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:45 am

It's slightly off-topic but I saw a Amazon review of Kai Part 1 from a Grandma who bought it for her Grandson and was upset that the show contained cursing.
Heh, made me think of that with the whole "Shit" muttering thing.

Though I'm kinda surprised they don't toss a few more "Darn"s in, though I'm guessing they know how silly it sounds, especially when a character is seriously mad.
Though whenever I hear or see "Maggot" I think of that certain derogatory F word that rhymes with it.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:51 am

Oh yea, it was this review. I read that too!

[quote="A Grandmother who can't spell "series""]I bought this as a Xmas gift for my 10y/o grandson, who watches the cartoon seris on TV. This was not the same format, same characters but on an adult level with strong language. I will check the details better next time,I don't recall reading that it was not suited for kids, otherwise great service, perfect condition and price. [/quote]

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:54 am

Yep that's it. (Should've posted it myself).
Though I wonder how often you have parents upset with cursing though.
I don't think even Naruto's uncut dub has as much as Kai.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:11 am

Soul wrote:Yep that's it. (Should've posted it myself).
Yu Yu Hakusho's uncut dub has even more than Kai, though. It contains the word "Piss", "Hell", "Crap", "Retard", "Damn", "Prick", "Dumb Ass", "Bitch", "Screw" and "Shit".
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:22 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
Soul wrote:Yep that's it. (Should've posted it myself).
Yu Yu Hakusho's uncut dub has (I think...) even more than Kai, though. It contains the word "Piss", "Hell", "Crap", "Retard", "Damn", (IIRC) "Shit", and "Fuck".
Fuck was never said on Yu Yu Hakusho.
Plus, it had edited DVD's.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:03 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Oh yea, it was this review. I read that too!

[quote="A Grandmother who can't spell "series""]I bought this as a Xmas gift for my 10y/o grandson, who watches the cartoon seris on TV. This was not the same format, same characters but on an adult level with strong language. I will check the details better next time,I don't recall reading that it was not suited for kids, otherwise great service, perfect condition and price.
[/quote]

Yeah this kind of thing kinda seems inevitable even with the giant "UNCUT" sticker on the front. Although I suppose "uncut" could be construed to mean "Nothing was cut from the version you watch on TV."

I watched an old DVD single version of this very episode today and boy nothing makes you appreciate Kai's script more than the creepy weird dialogue in the season 3 dub.

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:01 am

'You just pissed away our one and only chance against Freeza!'

Hah, I really like that line, seems to capture Vegeta perfectly.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 pm

It says "TV-PG" right on the package.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:18 pm

I think you underestimate the power of people who like to just complain. They like to ignore silly little things like warnings in plain sight.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)