Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingofWisdom
Regular

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:50 pm

KaiserNeko has insider information on the Ocean dub? I'm skeptical that some e-celebrity would have this info.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 pm

penguintruth wrote:I don't remember the trouble with Ayres, aside from Linda Young's hurt feelings.
Just the not wanting anyone to get in trouble, I forget with the issue originally was with it, but there was something odd about the people hinting at it or something. It was a bit different since Sabat outright told people in a room and hoped for secrecy (if I remember correctly) and then there was 'dangling carrot' of people saying 'Oh, I know who Freeza's gonna be voiced by'. Perhaps my memory is a bit fuzzy about that.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:56 pm

penguintruth wrote:I don't remember the trouble with Ayres, aside from Linda Young's hurt feelings.
Well, since that info was not supposed to be public knowledge, there was some fear going around that certain people at FUNimation were gonna lose their jobs for breaking the terms of an NDA.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 pm

NDAs for cartoon voice acting: SERIOUS BUSINESS.
KingofWisdom wrote:KaiserNeko has insider information on the Ocean dub? I'm skeptical that some e-celebrity would have this info.
Hey, Kaiser gets around. He rubs elbows with the creme-de-la-creme of the industry... like LittleKuriboh.

Seriously though, I can believe he has contacts.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:17 pm

penguintruth wrote:NDAs for cartoon voice acting: SERIOUS BUSINESS.
Well, "serious" is a relative term, but voice actors have lost their jobs over breaking an NDA before. Most of the time, especially for something like Kai, they'd just get a slap on the wrist, but then they also risk the long-term consequences of being labeled as somebody who's not reliable to work with because they can't keep quiet over stuff that they're supposed to keep quiet about. Kirbopher said that Kirby Morrow got in HUGE trouble for revealing what he revealed about the Ocean dub of Kai, and he didn't even sign an NDA.

As for as Kaiser's contacts...of course I don't want Kaiser to say anything he's not comfortable saying, but the conspiracy theorist in me is guessing that his "contact" in this case would be Scott McNeil, since both he and TFS attended Youmacon this year.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:22 pm

I remember for years everyone pretending Steven Blum and David Lucas were two different people.

That was more of a union thing.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Subzero Ice

Post by Subzero Ice » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:54 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Well, "serious" is a relative term, but voice actors have lost their jobs over breaking an NDA before. Most of the time, especially for something like Kai, they'd just get a slap on the wrist, but then they also risk the long-term consequences of being labeled as somebody who's not reliable to work with because they can't keep quiet over stuff that they're supposed to keep quiet about. Kirbopher said that Kirby Morrow got in HUGE trouble for revealing what he revealed about the Ocean dub of Kai, and he didn't even sign an NDA.
Unless they are Scott McNeil, they'd get more than a slap on the wrist. Not that they'd lose the role but there may be repercussions. A certain someone had to send an associate round the internet to ask people to remove any references made in relation to the Ocean dub of Kai. The secrecy of this dub is very high.

It's like a full time job guarding this dub's information :|

It would be easier for them to announce the dub and build up hype towards its release by releasing tidbits of info here and there. But that's not the route they took, and they don't need to. The market and fans for the Ocean dub are there. Believe it or not, the passion shown by fans of the Ocean dub does get noticed. That this topic is nearly 100 pages and there's barely any info on the Ocean dub speaks for itself. Point is, it's a good idea to build up excitement by deliberately withholding information so people would be very eager to discover the dub with a fresh outlook. I'd say people (well, some existing fans) are more likely to go out of their way to watch something if they barely have any info on it. I can imagine the number of people in countries where this dub won't be broadcast using 'unconventional' means to watch this dub.

As for the countries the Ocean dub would broadcast on; word of mouth spreads, so however it came about, that the dub was revealed is in itself a good thing. Now people have something fresh and new to look forward to, something they barely have any info on and that increases the excitement for the dub and the show.

Not that they need to increase the excitement, as a lot of people are already very excited for the Ocean dub.

Speaking of which, I'm expecting Kai to create a new generation of Ocean dub fans.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:08 am

KaiserNeko wrote:I know who's playing Goku in the new Ocean Dub, but I probably should not say outright... but here's a hint.

Hint: It's a funny coincidence that they got Kappei Yamaguchi to play Goku in the Japanese version of the DragonBall Evolution.
Well, for guesses I'm stumped. The three biggest roles in English dub voices I can think of that dubbed for Kappei Yamaguchi are ones I wouldn't guess at all for also being chosen for Goku. I'm still terribly curious as to who it'll turn out to be though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:11 am

If it's who I'm thinking it is, it actually fits fairly well.

Though I think that person may have already been debunked. I'm too lazy to check. :P

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 am

Jeez. You'd think they were leaking state secrets. Maybe the whole of Canada will collapse!

Somebody send the mounties after these perps! They'll... give them a good talking to!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:15 am

Y'know what would really be interesting? It would be really interesting if the people behind this dub were going to change the BGM to more closely reflect the score and placement of the original DBZ. I know that this is about as likely to happen as monkeys flying out of my butt to serve pizzas to starving children stranded on Mars, but it would still be really interesting and super cool.

The more likely scenario, however, is that we'll get Kikuchi Kai BGM or a totally new BGM.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:24 am

Subzero Ice wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Unless they are Scott McNeil, they'd get more than a slap on the wrist. Not that they'd lose the role but there may be repercussions. A certain someone had to send an associate round the internet to ask people to remove any references made in relation to the Ocean dub of Kai. The secrecy of this dub is very high.

It's like a full time job guarding this dub's information :|

It would be easier for them to announce the dub and build up hype towards its release by releasing tidbits of info here and there. But that's not the route they took, and they don't need to. The market and fans for the Ocean dub are there. Believe it or not, the passion shown by fans of the Ocean dub does get noticed. That this topic is nearly 100 pages and there's barely any info on the Ocean dub speaks for itself. Point is, it's a good idea to build up excitement by deliberately withholding information so people would be very eager to discover the dub with a fresh outlook. I'd say people (well, some existing fans) are more likely to go out of their way to watch something if they barely have any info on it. I can imagine the number of people in countries where this dub won't be broadcast using 'unconventional' means to watch this dub.

As for the countries the Ocean dub would broadcast on; word of mouth spreads, so however it came about, that the dub was revealed is in itself a good thing. Now people have something fresh and new to look forward to, something they barely have any info on and that increases the excitement for the dub and the show.

Not that they need to increase the excitement, as a lot of people are already very excited for the Ocean dub.

Speaking of which, I'm expecting Kai to create a new generation of Ocean dub fans.
But again, Subzero Ice, if you don't mind my asking...how would you know this (as in, behind-the-scenes info about the dub)?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:20 am

Kappei Yamaguchi makes me think of...Inuyasha, Ranma, Shinichi Kudo, L, Usopp, and a couple others whose names I can't remember... Lol.
Richard Ian Cox? That would be...very interesting... O_o
Sarah Strange? Hmm... I'd be fascinated to hear an attempt to replicate the style of the Japanese version.
Jerry Jewell? Lol.
Sonny Strait? Lol.
Alessandro Juliani? Uh... I'm not really familiar with him as L, or as any character actually.

I'm not really much of an anime watcher, so I'm sure there are tons of other people it could be, but I'm too lazy to find out who else. Oh, I don't like not knowing. And I REALLY want it to be Kelamis. -_-
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:20 am

I wonder if Terry Klassen is returning as Kuririn. I hope he won't be playing Roshi again.

Can I get a Schemen?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:47 am

I don't care enough to look up the guy's name, but I'm guessing we are talking about the English voice for L from Death Note, the dub of which was produced in Vancouver, and L's Japanese voice is Kappei Yamaguchi.

The only other thing I can think of is Terry Klassen, which requires jumping through a lot of hoops to get to.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:01 am

B wrote:I don't care enough to look up the guy's name, but I'm guessing we are talking about the English voice for L from Death Note, the dub of which was produced in Vancouver, and L's Japanese voice is Kappei Yamaguchi.

The only other thing I can think of is Terry Klassen, which requires jumping through a lot of hoops to get to.
L's English VA is Alessandro Juliani, that'd definitely be a surprise, but, his voice seems like it's too deep and suave for Goku. Great actor, just don't know if I could see him as Goku. But if it is him, now that there seems to be 3 potential people, I'd be pleasantly surprised. I kinda hope Terry Klassin isn't even in the dub. I never liked his Dragon Ball roles. Even his Krillin is a little too 'over-doing it'.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:49 am

Looking through Kappei Yamaguchi's voice acting roles, he's also played another guy named Goku in Monkey Typhoon (or Asobot Military History Goku).

From the Wiki article about the series: " It contains several steampunk elements, and is loosely based on the Chinese myth, Journey to the West."

Add to what Kaiser said about It being a funny coincidence that they got Kappei Yamaguchi to play Goku in the Japanese version of the DragonBall Evolution.

My final answer is... I don't know... but interesting information for those who didn't know. I'm racking my brain at Kaiser's post anyways.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:51 am

penguintruth wrote:I wonder if Terry Klassen is returning as Kuririn. I hope he won't be playing Roshi again.
I personally hope he does return but I also heard a while ago that his replacement could be the guy who did the voice of Edd from Ed, Edd n Eddy (Double D the one with the hat). If that is true then I won't mind too much since his Edd voice is pretty similar to Klassen's Krillin/Kuririn.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:01 am

Kappei Yamaguchi played Sai Saici in Mobile Fighter G Gundam, who was voiced by Zoe Slusar in the English dub. Haha.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:02 am

NitroEX wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I wonder if Terry Klassen is returning as Kuririn. I hope he won't be playing Roshi again.
I personally hope he does return but I also heard a while ago that his replacement could be the guy who did the voice of Edd from Ed, Edd n Eddy (Double D the one with the hat). If that is true then I won't mind too much since his Edd voice is pretty similar to Klassen's Krillin/Kuririn.
He sounds closer to Mayumi Tanaka with the voice, at least to me.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)