Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by gotensottile » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:09 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
gotensottile wrote: But not the most accurate.
Well, yeah. "Cyborg" would more accurately describe #17 and #18, but there's nothing wrong with using "Android". Leaving in "Jinzōningen" untranslated, would sound weird in an English dub.
Cyborg I don't think would. I always thought that was a human who has modified their body with robot parts. Cyborg Taopaipai.
I don't think it would sound to weird. It would be nice if they just directly translated it to Artifical Human.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:44 am

#17 and #18 are humans enhanced with robotic parts. Also, the term "android" has been used on Japanese merchandise for ages, so if there's going to be any convenient-but-not-entirely-correct term, they might as well use one with some official precedent.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotensottile » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:51 am

Wait...how would Schemmel know about this dub?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:02 am

ThunderPX wrote:#17 and #18 are humans enhanced with robotic parts. Also, the term "android" has been used on Japanese merchandise for ages, so if there's going to be any convenient-but-not-entirely-correct term, they might as well use one with some official precedent.
Well, the Japanese manga and anime also use English "cyborg" as a synonym for "Jinzouningen."
-Rachel

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:31 am

TripleRach wrote:
ThunderPX wrote:#17 and #18 are humans enhanced with robotic parts. Also, the term "android" has been used on Japanese merchandise for ages, so if there's going to be any convenient-but-not-entirely-correct term, they might as well use one with some official precedent.
Well, the Japanese manga and anime also use English "cyborg" as a synonym for "Jinzouningen."
But, that's actually less accurate than Android. If 8, 16, and 19 are any clue, a majority of his work is Android. 17 and 18 being cyborgs, 20 being an Android just with Gero's brain housed in it, and Cell being a biological creation seem, to me, to be the exception, not the rule. Especially if one wants to count 13-15 with that. His early work likely consisted of progressively stronger Androids, then he put aside 16 to move onto Cyborgs (Perhaps for his own ends?). But, the difficulty in controlling them led him to return to Androids with 19, before he went for functional immortality with 20. He even wanted to finish up 16 (though, never had the chance to, it seems). He wasn't willing to go back to 17 and 18 until they stopped disobeying him, but he was left with no option.

But, an Ocean Dub could be interesting.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Ishtar318
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ishtar318 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:00 pm

If Ocean Group decides to recast Freeza with a male like FUNi did, I have an interesting choice. What about Alessandro Juliani (L from Death Note)? I think he could possibly pull it off.

Jaruka
Regular

Post by Jaruka » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:10 pm

This is possibly the best Dragonball news I've heard in years, I really can't wait to hear my favourite dub once again
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:47 pm

My guess would be that they'd go with FUNimation's release style: cut tv version, uncut dvd/Blu-ray.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:48 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I'm looking forward to Tanooki's voice comparisons...

...being announced so I could look forward to Tanooki's voice comparisons...
SECONDED!!! =D

But anyway, though I'm not a an of the Ocean Cast (Aside from McNeil's Piccolo and Cole's Yamcha), I'm happy for the Canadian audience. They deserve to hear the voices that they know and love just as much as FUNi fans deserve to hear the FUNi cast.

I don't feel it's my business to put down the prospect an alternate English Dub cast when I have a Dub that I can be perfectly happy with.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Do not want.

Fuck, who am I kidding? Now I'll have to watch Kai AGAIN! Japanese, uncut FUNi, Nicktoons, 4Kids...not to mention I watch it every time I show it to my friends...

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Mewzard wrote:But, that's actually less accurate than Android. If 8, 16, and 19 are any clue, a majority of his work is Android. 17 and 18 being cyborgs, 20 being an Android just with Gero's brain housed in it, and Cell being a biological creation seem, to me, to be the exception, not the rule. Especially if one wants to count 13-15 with that. His early work likely consisted of progressively stronger Androids, then he put aside 16 to move onto Cyborgs (Perhaps for his own ends?). But, the difficulty in controlling them led him to return to Androids with 19, before he went for functional immortality with 20. He even wanted to finish up 16 (though, never had the chance to, it seems). He wasn't willing to go back to 17 and 18 until they stopped disobeying him, but he was left with no option.
Number 8 is actually human-based, according to the Daizenshū. So, 8, 17, 18, 20, Cell are human-based, while only 16 and 19 are androids. It seems to me that the it might've started out as a line of cyborgs. Number 8 being robotic inside was filler, and the movies don't actually happen, so those things must be ignored.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:55 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Mewzard wrote:But, that's actually less accurate than Android. If 8, 16, and 19 are any clue, a majority of his work is Android. 17 and 18 being cyborgs, 20 being an Android just with Gero's brain housed in it, and Cell being a biological creation seem, to me, to be the exception, not the rule. Especially if one wants to count 13-15 with that. His early work likely consisted of progressively stronger Androids, then he put aside 16 to move onto Cyborgs (Perhaps for his own ends?). But, the difficulty in controlling them led him to return to Androids with 19, before he went for functional immortality with 20. He even wanted to finish up 16 (though, never had the chance to, it seems). He wasn't willing to go back to 17 and 18 until they stopped disobeying him, but he was left with no option.
Number 8 is actually human-based, according to the Daizenshū. So, 8, 17, 18, 20, Cell are human-based, while only 16 and 19 are androids. It seems to me that the it might've started out as a line of cyborgs. Number 8 being robotic inside was filler, and the movies don't actually happen, so those things must be ignored.
According to Viz' translation, he refers to himself as an Android. Not sure if that's a mistranslation, but I'm just throwing it out there.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:06 pm

I don't trust Viz. Ever. They don't care one bit about consistency, but when it comes to correcting a mistake, they'll leave it incorrect forever.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:45 pm

gotensottile wrote:Wait...how would Schemmel know about this dub?
Well, I'm not sure how Schemmel knew, but presumably FUNimation knew and it got leaked to him somehow. They have a very firm lock on everything Dragonball-related (in the English-speaking world, anyway). This again makes me wonder to what degree FUNimation and Ocean are collaborating. I mean, they have to have crossed paths at some point, there's no way Ocean was producing an alternate dub and FUNi just didn't know about it.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:20 pm

I'm thinking they'll use FUNi's script. Or at least their translation. I just hope they won't be using the edited version FUNi used for Nicktoons. Punches aren't a problem on YTV, so it'd be pointless. Uncut, please.

Paradox295
Beyond Newbie

Post by Paradox295 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:00 pm

CashmanX wrote:(Omicronian King voice) "Bring us Mcneil!"(/Omicronian King voice)
^this wins the thread, so much :lol:

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:48 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:To what extent are Ocean Studios involved with FUNimation?

The question I just asked has plagued me not only here, but also in the original DBZ dub (which is to say the "alternate" dub that began after Season 3). The whole thing is shrouded in mystery. Is there any kind of collaboration on any level going on with FUNimation and Ocean here?
For the later sagas of DBZ, Ocean and Funimation competed with each other. Despite that, they shared video footage, except the final few episodes. Ocean got the footage from AB Groupe for the last few episodes, likely reason being they were ahead of Funi in the dubbing process and didn't want to wait for footage. The scripts were similar because some of Ocean's actors were working with Funi on the scripts.

I made a rather lengthy post a few months ago regarding Ocean's involvement with Funi's TV Kai dub and why that meant the likelihood of an Ocean dub of Kai increased (ironically someone took the Ocean-Funi TV dub collaboration and thought it decreased the likelihood of an Ocean dub) where I explained what I felt the collaboration is about. I also included some background information on the Z dubs so if you're interested in Ocean and Funi's involvement with each other, you might find it useful to read.
linkdude20002001 wrote:McNeil: yes! Drummond: maybe... If he'd make his Vegeta voice have less anger and rasp, it'd be perfect. Normally, he makes the cool-headed 26-year-old sound like a middle-aged psychopath, but I think he could do away with that if the company tells him to (and it sounds like they're being wonderfully picky). Unlike Sabat, Drummond has the ability to make a wonderful Vegeta. :D
That's one reason why I love Drummond's Vegeta. Almost every word he utters has that self centered, haughty attitude. I wouldn't want Drummond to change his Vegeta. Drummond's breakdown for Vegeta after being beaten by Goku was fantastic. The elite Saiyan who went beserk after having even a small amount of his blood shed by a lower class Saiyan, would go into a psychotic rage after the beating, to the extent that he'd be willing to blow up the planet without a plan to survive himself (if Freeza is correct about Saiyans not being able to survive in space) and Drummond delivered!
linkdude20002001 wrote:So, any way you can figure out what the company's name is? I don't want it be be another mystery we won't figure out for years. Lol.
AB Groupe is a likely contender, but after hearing how picky (in a really good way) the company responsible for Ocean's dub of DBZ Kai is about casting, I'm not sure. From what I know, AB Groupe didn't have much creative involvement in Ocean/Westwood's Z dub. (Most probably through choice) They gave the project to Ocean and let Ocean dub as they wanted to.

However this company, described as "new" by Kirby Morrow has shown how picky they are being. They're willing to take the risk of recasting Goku despite the previous VA willing and able to work for them. The Ocean fanbase will be familiar with Kirby's Goku, so for the "new company" to not hire him in favour of someone they feel can capture Goku's innocent, kid like personality better, shows the extent they are going to, to make this dub great. :D

On the other hand, it could actually be AB Groupe again, just getting themselves more involved this time. I recall Scott McNeil saying he didn't know who was behind the Ocean Z dub when asked. This was when he was dubbing the Buu saga, so Kirby might not have known AB Groupe was behind the Z dub.

Or it could be Toei Animation themselves, creating the Ocean dub of DB Kai to sell to UK, Canadian, European and other TV networks.

I'm a bit torn on this, part of me wants AB Groupe to be the company behind Ocean's Kai dub, while another part of me wants it to be a new company, so that we get Uncut DVD/Blu Ray releases of Ocean's DBZ Kai dub.

Whoever it is, I hope they want to milk the Dragon Ball series as much as Funimation does. I'd love multiple releases of the Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Z as well as Blue water's DB & DBGT releases. :D
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Replacement music and the next dimension? No thank you.

You can thank Funimation for that. Once Ocean started their own dub, they didn't use the next dimension lines. Funimation was responsible for the scripting and editing of the first 2 sagas, Ocean were hired to dub the voices by Saban & Funi.
dagame10k wrote:If it keeps Kai's score, no added SFX, the video is alone with no slowmo effect,, there is a suitable script, and they keep much of the original core cast while finding suitable replacements for Goku, Bulma, and varous other characters be it bad casting or unavailablity of an actor, I might actually look forward to it.
They need to keep Maggie Blue O Hara as Bulma. I doubt Ocean would use the actress they did for the final few episodes of Z.

So your views on the existence of this dub have changed? I recall you being sceptical about it in the previous Ocean Kai topic.
dagame10k wrote:Teen Trunks - Matthew Erickson
Matthew Erickson was the Blue Water dub actor for Trunks. Even though I felt he was better at the job than Alistair Abell, I doubt Matthew would come from Calgary to Vancouver to voice for Trunks.

Someone interviewed Alistair Abell and put it on youtube. Alistair apparently loved voicing Trunks and noted that his more recent roles were not as big as Trunks. I think he might reprise his role, though it depends on the casting director.

Regarding your voice actor list, I see you put a ? for Master Roshi, you don't want Klassen to reprise this role?
linkdude20002001 wrote:I'm thinking they'll use FUNi's script. Or at least their translation. I just hope they won't be using the edited version FUNi used for Nicktoons. Punches aren't a problem on YTV, so it'd be pointless. Uncut, please.
Blue Water's Dragon Ball dub got away with brutality on Toonami. I hope that Cartoon Network broadcasts Ocean's Dragon Ball Kai dub. If so, taking into account how uncut the Blue Water dub was, they could get away with showing Ocean's DB Kai dub uncut. :D
Last edited by RazorX on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:00 pm

It sounds like the station got away with the uncut dub, so it wouldn't matter, then, if it were an Ocean Dub or Funi Dub. Hell, Funi got away with a fully uncensored Z on Toonami for a time too.

And my problem with Drummond's Vegeta voice was that it only fits a villain. It's rather demonically in intent, and doesn't work well on an anti-hero or a good guy. But, for the early Z, it does work.

I do wonder who they would cast as Goku. We've gotten so many voices for him in the Ocean Dubs, I can't help but wonder if there will be an older Goku, or a new one.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:05 pm

MasakoX for Goku.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:32 pm

RazorX wrote:That's one reason why I love Drummond's Vegeta. Almost every word he utters has that self centered, haughty attitude. I wouldn't want Drummond to change his Vegeta. Drummond's breakdown for Vegeta after being beaten by Goku was fantastic. The elite Saiyan who went beserk after having even a small amount of his blood shed by a lower class Saiyan, would go into a psychotic rage after the beating, to the extent that he'd be willing to blow up the planet without a plan to survive himself (if Freeza is correct about Saiyans not being able to survive in space) and Drummond delivered!
The rasp and anger wasn't what made him sound arrogant. And the authentic sounding anger is great for when he's angry, but Vegeta's rarely truly pissed off; annoyed is how angry he generally gets. I think if he dropped the rasp, he'd sound more age appropriate, and if he dropped the rage except for times when Vegeta's actually in rage, he'd be perfect. And I'm not saying to drop the arrogance; that's integral to his character.
RazorX wrote:AB Groupe is a likely contender, but after hearing how picky (in a really good way) the company responsible for Ocean's dub of DBZ Kai is about casting, I'm not sure. From what I know, AB Groupe didn't have much creative involvement in Ocean/Westwood's Z dub. (Most probably through choice) They gave the project to Ocean and let Ocean dub as they wanted to.

However this company, described as "new" by Kirby Morrow has shown how picky they are being. They're willing to take the risk of recasting Goku despite the previous VA willing and able to work for them. The Ocean fanbase will be familiar with Kirby's Goku, so for the "new company" to not hire him in favour of someone they feel can capture Goku's innocent, kid like personality better, shows the extent they are going to, to make this dub great. :D

On the other hand, it could actually be AB Groupe again, just getting themselves more involved this time. I recall Scott McNeil saying he didn't know who was behind the Ocean Z dub when asked. This was when he was dubbing the Buu saga, so Kirby might not have known AB Groupe was behind the Z dub.

Or it could be Toei Animation themselves, creating the Ocean dub of DB Kai to sell to UK, Canadian, European and other TV networks.

I'm a bit torn on this, part of me wants AB Groupe to be the company behind Ocean's Kai dub, while another part of me wants it to be a new company, so that we get Uncut DVD/Blu Ray releases of Ocean's DBZ Kai dub.

Whoever it is, I hope they want to milk the Dragon Ball series as much as Funimation does. I'd love multiple releases of the Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Z as well as Blue water's DB & DBGT releases. :D
Sounds like it might be Toei Animation, sadly. They produced the English dub for Pretty Cure (also using Ocean Productions), but I don't think it's gotten a home release. If this is the case for Kai, I will be truly sad indeed.
RazorX wrote:You can thank Funimation for that. Once Ocean started their own dub, they didn't use the next dimension lines. Funimation was responsible for the scripting and editing of the first 2 sagas, Ocean were hired to dub the voices by Saban & Funi.
Well, it was Saban, or rather the network's standards, that forbade the mention of death. Originally they had the Immortal Master say "I smell death in the air", but even that had to be changed.