Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:02 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I was actually asking why they didn't make music for Scan2Go and LBX instead of recycling Megaman music for those shows. But my best guess is because of money reasons.

I guess we'll have to endure another edited Ocean DBZ dub again. And Drummond said that he wanted to dub Kai uncut...pity we'll never see a full uncut version of Kai with some of the finest Canadian voice actors.
I think if we're very lucky (and I mean very lucky) this dub could at least have uncut dialogue. Although I wouldn't count on it.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:47 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I was actually asking why they didn't make music for Scan2Go and LBX instead of recycling Megaman music for those shows. But my best guess is because of money reasons.

I guess we'll have to endure another edited Ocean DBZ dub again. And Drummond said that he wanted to dub Kai uncut...pity we'll never see a full uncut version of Kai with some of the finest Canadian voice actors.
I think if we're very lucky (and I mean very lucky) this dub could at least have uncut dialogue. Although I wouldn't count on it.
There will be no curse words, that's guaranteed.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:24 am

Arian wrote:

There will be no curse words, that's guaranteed.
I'll tolerate there being no profanity as long as the dialogue isn't dumbed down to the point of "next dimension" garbage or whatever intellectually insulting censorship the Canadian networks demand.

Even something like Freeza's speech before his last attack on Goku would be fine in my books.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:11 am

Arian wrote: There will be no curse words, that's guaranteed.
I'll tolerate there being no profanity as long as the dialogue isn't dumbed down to the point of "next dimension" garbage or whatever intellectually insulting censorship the Canadian networks demand.

Even something like Freeza's speech before his last attack on Goku would be fine in my books.
The Westwood and Blue Water dubs had no "next dimension" in them, that was only something enforced by Saban & Funimation.

I don't know about you but I got kinda tired of hearing all the "damn" & damnits used throughout the Funimation dub. It just starts to lose it's impact after a while and made me yearn for something more creative. I think the only word I'll truly miss from uncut dialogue is "hell".

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:55 am

What characters do you guys think should be recasted?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:25 pm

There are very few voices in the Ocean cast I actually took issue with, but I wouldn't mind hearing a new Krillin.

Chi-Chi and Bulma are two other characters I'd like to hear new voices for.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote:
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Arian wrote:There are very few voices in the Ocean cast I actually took issue with, but I wouldn't mind hearing a new Krillin.

This might sound weird, but I'd actually like to hear an awesome English Kuririn that has a high pitched voice. I think it could work well in English with a talented actress playing him. Something like this or this
Chi-Chi and Bulma are two other characters I'd like to hear new voices for.
I wouldn't mind newer voices for those specific characters but I wouldn't mind it if they had their old ones either. One thing I'd really like to hear if is a good, mature, powerful, English Kamesennin. He can be goofy sometimes though because he does have his antics but I still wanna hear the occasional wise and mature grandfatherly tone from him.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:51 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:What characters do you guys think should be recasted?
Trunks first and foremost, his voice actor sounds lifeless, and way too old for someone who should only be in their young twenties (?), I think his Blue Water actor does a MUCH better job which is ironic since BW is the budget studio.

I'd also love to see a recast of Android 16, his voice was pretty damn awful too.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Like I said earlier, I would like Paul Dobson as Cell because Paul Dobson is just awesome.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:00 pm

thomas1up wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:What characters do you guys think should be recasted?
Trunks first and foremost, his voice actor sounds lifeless, and way too old for someone who should only be in their young twenties (?), I think his Blue Water actor does a MUCH better job which is ironic since BW is the budget studio.

I'd also love to see a recast of Android 16, his voice was pretty damn awful too.
I didn't mention these two because I thought it goes without saying that they need to be replaced. XP

Danfun64 wrote:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:29 pm

thomas1up wrote:Trunks first and foremost, his voice actor sounds lifeless, and way too old for someone who should only be in their young twenties (?), I think his Blue Water actor does a MUCH better job which is ironic since BW is the budget studio.

I'm sure Android 16 has been recast since McNeil is only playing three characters.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm not really hoping for anyone to be recast, I'm mainly interested in who they cast in roles such as Bardock (who we've never heard an Ocean interpretation of) as well as who they got for characters like Recoome (who's actor can no longer return). I'm also curious to see if Terry Klassen and Ted Cole returned for this dub as they've not been involved in any anime projects for a very long time.

I will say this, if Klassen has retired from anime dubbing my next best choice for Krillin would definitely be Sam VIncent doing a variation of his Edd/Hare.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:10 pm

NitroEX wrote:I'm not really hoping for anyone to be recast, I'm mainly interested in who they cast in roles such as Bardock (who we've never heard an Ocean interpretation of) as well as who they got for characters like Recoome (who's actor can no longer return). I'm also curious to see if Terry Klassen and Ted Cole returned for this dub as they've not been involved in any anime projects for a very long time.

I will say this, if Klassen has retired from anime dubbing my next best choice for Krillin would definitely be Sam VIncent doing a variation of his Edd/Hare.
For Bardock, I can see either Paul Dobson or Don Brown (He played Inuyasha's father, so there's a chance he'll play him since Cox is Goku), and for Recoome, someone like Colin Murdock or Mark Gibbon.

If Klassen has returned for Krillin, then he should play him like he did in the Saban dub. He was intolerable in the Westwood dub. If Ted Cole doesn't return, then I'd go with Michael Adamthwaite.

I think the recasts for Bulma and Raditz will be interesting.

Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:45 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think the recasts for Bulma and Raditz will be interesting.
How do you know Jason Gray-Stanford isn't returning as Raditz? I'm pretty sure he's still in Vancouver.

Danfun64 wrote:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:54 pm

Arian wrote:How do you know Jason Gray-Stanford isn't returning as Raditz? I'm pretty sure he's still in Vancouver.
I know that he still lives in Vancouver, but he has retired from voice acting and only does on-camera work now. He didn't even return for Gohan's flashback of his attack on Raditz, and was replaced by Alistair Abell.

Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:03 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Arian wrote:How do you know Jason Gray-Stanford isn't returning as Raditz? I'm pretty sure he's still in Vancouver.
I know that he still lives in Vancouver, but he has retired from voice acting and only does on-camera work now. He didn't even return for Gohan's flashback of his attack on Raditz, and was replaced by Alistair Abell.
Actually that was Doug Parker who played Raditz in the flashback, and I know his track record doesn't support him returning but he might have taken this voice role.

Danfun64 wrote:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Arian wrote:Actually that was Doug Parker who played Raditz in the flashback, and I know his track record doesn't support him returning but he might have taken this voice role.
Brian Drummond said on his Twitter that it was Abell who played Raditz on that flashback.

Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:46 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Arian wrote:Actually that was Doug Parker who played Raditz in the flashback, and I know his track record doesn't support him returning but he might have taken this voice role.
Brian Drummond said on his Twitter that it was Abell who played Raditz on that flashback.

Then forgive me. I thought I read somewhere that it was Doug Parker. And you have to admit, it does sound like him.

Danfun64 wrote:

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:12 am

If the price is right, I'm sure they could get some actors back. Hell, they got Henderson back which we are taking for granted (if this ever gets aired)!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:20 am

My best guess is that the new voice of Bulma is one of the most popular Ocean voice actresses.