Interesting observation...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Interesting observation...

Post by Coola Yagami » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:23 am

The main reason Kai is big in the US, is that after all this time and all these attempts, it was DBZ done right. More faithful dialogue, better acting, more fitting voices, original music, the insert songs intact, even a dubbed version of Doukan Doukan rather than a DBZKai Rap or something.

I know in Japan it was a different story. DB stuff vanished from Japan after GT ended, with the exception of videogames and whatnot. Nostalgia would set in heavily for things like Goku cameos in the New Dr. Slump, the 28th anniversary special and the DB/One Piece Crossover. So bringing in Kai would be a return to yesteryear for older fans as well as a way to draw in new fans.

In the US however, DBZ NEVER went away. It was aired non-stop and sets upon sets UPON SETS were being released and re-released over and over and over again, as well as the invasion of videogames. It never went truly went away. Hell DBZ Kai appeared not long after they released the rest of the 'Ultimate Uncut' versions and they still haven't finished the rest of the DragonBoxes. So I guess the only saving grace to Kai was Funi FINALLY doing the dub justice.

Which is weird... had Funi treated DBZ with the respect it deserved since day 1... Kai would have seemed even more like a lazy rehash, noone would have cared it probably would bombed... Makes me wonder how Kai will do in Mexico. I mean, they dubbed it straight from Japan the first time, and again, it never truly went away, it's aired on TV ALL THE TIME. Having Kai there with an all-new cast replacing the famous VAs from the original (the ONLY saving grace DB Evolution had in Mexico was the same guy that did Goku in the anime did the voice of Chatwin in the movie), it might bomb there too.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Re: Interesting observation...

Post by Mewzard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:30 am

It's kinda funny that Dragon Ball's been away in Japan for so long, yet it's starting to lag in interest somewhat rough, yet it's doing better in America, where it's never gotten a break (aside from the games, but I blame way too many versions of the Sparking Games for that).

But, it's almost fitting for Kai to do better in America because we NEEDED that good dub after years of a less than stellar release. Even though I like Kai for it's dub, I don't see the reason to watch the Japanese version because I'm getting the Dragon Boxes.

As for Mexico...who knows? Maybe it will break trend, or capture enough new viewers to offset any angry fans. This will have to be a wait and see maneuver.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:58 am

Yes, the Japanese weren't waiting for a better dub as America was. So, naturally, Japan and its people lost interest in Dragon Ball (aside from video games). But, America was waiting wih hope and anticipation for that one dub that topped the rest, the best and only good one, and patiently waiting for years, we finally got it.
So mondo lame.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:59 pm

I don't think Dragon Ball "Z" Kai is big in the US because of the closeness to the dialog or the original music. You see, its popularity skyrocketed with the young kids who watch it on Nick Toons. I guarantee you that they don't give two dumps about any of that stuff. It's us who care about that. Anything that has to do with anyone new watching it is not affected by that. A lot of kids didn't care about the crappy score (though I'm a fan of the MUSIC, I think the instruments used made it sound crappy, plus... it's not the original) of the dub back in the day, nor did they care about the suckitude of the voice acting. DBZ was still HUGE in the US. The success of Kai is the same as the success of Z... it's just a damn good show. Now in Japan, I could be wrong, but... didn't it like never stop airing? So for them, it's the same thing over and over again. Even I'm sick of Kai. I never watch it on Nick Toons and I sure as hell never watch it on the CW. I only get the Blu-rays, and I wouldn't do that if it wasn't for how much of a fan I am. I'm a fan of the original Z, so felt like I should have this. I honestly am not a fan of Kai because I feel like I've seen it a million times over. New voice acting or not. So I think its popularity in the US lies with: a) People who used to watch Z, never collected it, and missed it when it was gone, b) NEW fans, c) Fans who may have collected it, etc., but haven't watched it so much that it feels like the same thing over and over again

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:19 pm

And also it's a better show than Z.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Dragon Ball never really went away in Japan either. It was always aired on the nicher children's networks for years (and IIRC some networks are still airing Z to this day). I think Japan just got burned out since they got merch from when Dragon Ball Z was big here, and then they had their little renaissance at around the same time, and that lasted longer than it should have.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:55 am

What's more is that 2009 was not only the same year Kai started in Japan, but also the year they finally completed the single releases for all of the Dragon Boxes.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 am

Rocketman wrote:And also it's a better show than Z.
I think Z is a better show than Kai. My opinion's better because I used more letters to say it! :P

Anyway, yeah, I'd have to agree with Coola. DBZ was and still is a lukewarm purchase for a lot of people if not for the '90s (over-)Westernization, but also because it's only just now seeing a consistently worthwhile domestic release on home media.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:02 pm

I think what you guys are actually trying to say is, Dragon Ball Kai is doing well because... it's Dragon Ball Z. DBZ still did well even with it's sub-par dub.

But I would agree the better dub does help. Most probably start watching just out of curiosity or from the buzz of DBZ. After they watch the show they find it's pretty decent, so they keep watching. I think the majority of viewers are new fans. Which is always a good thing. I don't think the US was waiting for a good dub. A small few were, but not counting on it.

Also Dragon Ball Z hasn't been on TV for a while. The last time I remember it airing was during the last days of Toonami. Which was how long? That was probably another factor.

Not to mention this:
Rocketman wrote:And also it's a better show than Z.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!