Kai Part 5 Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Kai Part 5 Discussion Thread

Post by Gozar » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:46 pm

Haven't seen one of these yet, so yeah...Here we go. I'll open it up with...

My Kai Part 5 DVD Unboxing Video. At the end I show all of the DVD Menus (Aside from the main ones since they're the same as all of the others, just with yellow).

Any questions about the set just ask away.

spaceace998

Re: Kai Part 5 Discussion Thread

Post by spaceace998 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:28 pm

I've been waiting for this thread...

Well, I guess I'll ask the first question, pertaining to episode 55. If you wouldn't mind checking, I'd like to know if these lines were changed. They're towards the middle of the first part of the episode.

BULMA: Hey, guys. Vegeta wouldn’t hold us hostage to get Goku to come home, would he?
YAMCHA: Gosh, I don’t know, Bulma.
VEGETA: Earth woman, I demand your presence! Where in blazes are you?! Answer me, Earth woman! I’m addressing you, Bullmoose!

As for your unboxing, it's got me very excited to buy the set. I've gotta wait a little while though, since money's a little tight at the moment. I hope Android 17's on one of the upcoming DVD covers, just so both Androids are represented.
No more blah blah blah! - Captain Kirk

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:44 pm

I mentioned this in the general English dub thread, but I'll point out that despite not being the biggest fan of Kikuchi's music, I'm finding that it either works or simply doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would while I'm watching the show.

I'll also note that this is a sad moment. For the foreseeable future, Chris Ayres' only Freeza apprearances will be in the video game world, as Freeza is officially dead as of the 4th or 5th episode on this set.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:46 pm

spaceace998 wrote:I've been waiting for this thread...

Well, I guess I'll ask the first question, pertaining to episode 55. If you wouldn't mind checking, I'd like to know if these lines were changed. They're towards the middle of the first part of the episode.

BULMA: Hey, guys. Vegeta wouldn’t hold us hostage to get Goku to come home, would he?
YAMCHA: Gosh, I don’t know, Bulma.
VEGETA: Earth woman, I demand your presence! Where in blazes are you?! Answer me, Earth woman! I’m addressing you, Bullmoose!
I'm hoping that these were changed for the DVD release, if I remember correctly, the original line was Bulma asking Yamcha and the others of they thought Vegeta had worn Earth clothes before.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:57 pm

So 18 on one case and no 17 on the other but Trunks from movie 9 instead.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:02 pm

*awaits Tanooki's Nicktoons comparisons*

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:51 pm

spaceace998 wrote:BULMA: Hey, guys. Vegeta wouldn’t hold us hostage to get Goku to come home, would he?
That. Line.

It makes me facepalm so much.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:25 am

penguintruth wrote:
spaceace998 wrote:BULMA: Hey, guys. Vegeta wouldn’t hold us hostage to get Goku to come home, would he?
That. Line.

Funny enough, it's not in the original, but it's not totally out of character and it was a little funny.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:56 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
That. Line.

Funny enough, it's not in the original, but it's not totally out of character and it was a little funny.
Considering the original line was so throwaway, and Bulma can't even tell when a Super Saiyan from the future with her Son's hair color and Capsule Corp clothing, with a Time Machine that could only have been made by someone from Bulma's level of "intelligence"...It wouldn't surprise me that she'd ask that. The series proved that she was smart, not that she was logical.

Lines like that I don't expect to be corrected because they probably aren't seen as worth changing.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:37 am

Move over Appule and 'Farmer with Shot Gun', there's a new obscure character that will soon become a favourite among many, and maybe even another internet meme :roll: , it's 'Driver with Truck'- a regular human that's powerful enough to survive Vegeta's blast!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QjJ91xR ... ture=inbox
Seriously, I can't believe they left that in. The Kai dub is getting worse and worse. :?
By the way, for those that have it, have any of the more well known Kikuchi Pieces shown up, eg. 'Kyoufu No Ginyu Tokusentai', 'Dragon Ball Z' (the theatrical suite for DBZ Movie One) or that one piece from Dragon Ball Movie 2 that's nearly always used when some dies?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:47 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Move over Appule and 'Farmer with Shot Gun', there's a new obscure character that will soon become a favourite among many, and maybe even another internet meme :roll: , it's 'Driver with Truck'- a regular human that's powerful enough to survive Vegeta's blast!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QjJ91xR ... ture=inbox
Seriously, I can't believe they left that in. The Kai dub is getting worse and worse. :?
By the way, for those that have it, have any of the more well known Kikuchi Pieces shown up, eg. 'Kyoufu No Ginyu Tokusentai', 'Dragon Ball Z' (the theatrical suite for DBZ Movie One) or that one piece from Dragon Ball Movie 2 that's nearly always used when some dies?
...Does anyone honestly believe that keeping that edit in was intentional in any way, shape, or form? This isn't Pre-2000 Funi, this is modern Funi. Like I said in my last post, it's very likely to be just a slight error on the part of the editor that slipped past the cracks, like the Brothers and Sisters line Dende had. They're rushing out two versions of the same product at a fast pace. Mistakes like these will occasionally get through, and simply need to be told to Sabat, or someone on staff, so they can be corrected either through a new printing, or, more likely, a new release (probably a box set).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:11 am

"Dude, my truck!" is the Kai equivalent of "Look! I can see their parachutes. They're okay." from Z.

But yeah, I honestly believe this was a mistake in the uncut version. Further supporting this theory is the fact that in the original Z dub, the line at that point is No. 17 saying, "Now that's what I like to see: destruction." Of course, in Z, you clearly see the truck getting blown away, but a couple of those frames were removed in Kai. bottom line, should it be there? No. But does it really, truly detract from the overall quality? Not really.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:55 am

How about Piccolo's lines about "Vegeta out buying formula" and "go home and write me a polite letter"? Please tell me those are gone.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:43 am

Codarik wrote:"go home and write me a polite letter"
It is ''If you want that answer, you'll have to answer with my fists!" in the uncut version.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:29 pm

Mewzard wrote:Funny enough, it's not in the original, but it's not totally out of character and it was a little funny.
It is impossible to reconcile an accurate portrayal of Bulma and that line. It is indeed ENTIRELY out of character for Bulma to wonder if Vegeta would take them hostage to get Goku to come back. Goku wouldn't even know Vegeta was holding them hostage until he returned, and if he returns, there'd be no reason to take them hostage!

It's nowhere near the original line and it makes Bulma look mentally challenged. In fact, even the dub line from DBZ proper is more sensible. At least she's complaining about how spoiled Vegeta is there.

What was the reasoning behind changing the line? It makes NO sense to change it. It's just plain stupid.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:*awaits Tanooki's Nicktoons comparisons*
Ha, ha .... thanks? Well, I'll probably get it Monday so by late Monday night I'll post scans, screens and clips here in this thread. Maybe even an update to the Nicktoons Edit Guide by the end of the week!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:*awaits Tanooki's Nicktoons comparisons*
Ha, ha .... thanks? Well, I'll probably get it Monday so by late Monday night I'll post scans, screens and clips here in this thread. Maybe even an update to the Nicktoons Edit Guide by the end of the week!
Okay, take your time.
"Dude, my truck!" is the Kai equivalent of "Look! I can see their parachutes. They're okay." from Z.
Don't you just hate the media?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:31 pm

Can someone post a decent quality version of the English version of "Kokoro no Hane" that isn't a camera recording? I'm kinda curious about it but I can't even tell the lyrics from the camera recording...
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:15 pm

Here are 320kbps mp3s of the new songs from the English dub. Ripped, not recorded.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P06E20UE

(NOTE to the powers that be, I only posted these because Funi will never make them commercially available, so I imagine there's no problem with sharing; feel free to remove if you disagree).

EDIT: Sorry, just realized that it ripped the title card part for Dragon Soul. You can use Audacity or something similar to remove it if you want, but I'm going to leave it as-is in the upload for anyone curious to hear the title card music choice as well.

EDIT 2: Just because I'm that nice, here are the lyrics :wink:

You can fly if you spread your wings
Just believe and you can do anything
Don’t let doubt keep you from seeing the world
Cause you need confidence to soar!

You must have courage in your heart to make it through
When times are tough and all you have is you
But if you have some faith
Well then you know you won’t stay grounded
The passion that you feel inside
Will give you your wings!

You can fly if you spread your wings
Just believe and you can do anything
Show the world you have the power within
To soar up high upon the wind!

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:25 pm

xzero wrote:Here are 320kbps mp3s of the new songs from the English dub. Ripped, not recorded.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P06E20UE
Ooo, ouch. I love Sonny, but that is -painful-.

The ending theme sounds decent, though.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/