Favorite/Least Favorite Voice Performances in DBZ Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Voice Performances in DBZ Kai

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:35 am

AgitoZ wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:I have been but you haven't said why Clinkenbeard is better then Ocean Gohans either. Jheeze I'm just a kid, give me a break!
No you haven't. Your argument so far has consisted of "She's better because she's better" and "She's better because she sounds more like a young boy". On both fronts you've failed to explain why.

Also, I have explained why I believe Clinkenbeard is better:
AgitoZ wrote:She not only did that, she gave the role a humanity to it that it hadn't had before. She had both the acting chops and range to make the character sound believable and endearing.
Fine I'll do it.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:56 pm

I've got to echo Black Paladin on favorite returners:

1) Sabat- He had to improve multiple characters, and would have to work harder than anyone else to do it. And he did it.

Did anyone ever think we'd see the day where folks who weren't fans of the original dub would find his Vegeta at least tolerable? Or Yamcha? Heck, Yamcha was able to get away with the blatantly-American lines in my book.

2) Schmmeul- He knows his character, he knows how to act his character even with Nozawa's voice and the script working against him, and can even turn Goku into an utter badass to a point Nozawa probably can't match without the script's help. And, of course, "I am the Super Sayain, Son Goku!" A lot of credit is due here.

I probably liked his Nail more the first time around, though.

3) Strait- Strait had Krillin by the Buu Saga, and ironed out his Bardock from the video games. Nothing to expect but the best here.

Honorable mentions: John Biergmier, Justin Cook, Chris Rager, Dameon Nickelback and Dartanian Clarke (Okay, probably not in good taste, but too good to pass up)

Favorite Newcomers:

Chris Ayres: A character redemption this through (Much respect for Young for doing the voice for a decade) was outside my expectations of a "faithful dub". That's pretty much how good the voice was. I was hearing Nakao's brilliance, as well as Freeza's relatively uniqueness among the Dragon Ball rogues gallery, in my own language. One of the few times I was taken aback by the series ever. Even better, I can completely forgive all of the overused villain lines he ended up having to use since Freeza wasn't spouting constant jokes anymore.

Problem is, that's pretty much it. Don't hate Clickenbeard, but I was never floored by her either.
TheBlackPaladin wrote: 3. The Bit-Part Actors – This is gonna sound really weird, but I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.
Frankly, I was wondering if that was allowed. But Sabat wasn't lying, at all. The episode with the Namekians and Freeza in episode 16, 17? I actually felt the tension in that situation; for the first time I ever felt any desperation in anything Dragon Ball ever, similar reaction to Ayres' Freeza. Going back to the old dub where the bit parts were jokes, it's astonishing, and a welcome sight.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:04 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Jheeze I'm just a kid, give me a break!
Okay, this is getting a bit silly. Either you're a kid or an adult. If you are, as you claim, an adult who likes childish things, you can't use the, "I'm just a kid" excuse because, well, you're not. And if you actually are a kid, do you really want that to be your defining feature any time someone engages you in debate? Wouldn't you prefer to be taken seriously?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Favorite Returning Voices
1. Chris Sabat as well, uh...all of his roles: Chris Sabat's really outdone himself here. The voices he uses are mostly the same as they've always been since 2004-ish, but a lot more fine-tuned and with better range. Piccolo and Vegeta especially have improved.
2. Sean Schemmel as Goku: What more needs to be said that hasn't been already?
3. Sonny Strait as Krillin: Ditto.

Favorite New Voices
1. Chris Ayres as Frieza: Great voice overall. peerfectly nuance, and smugly polite and all-around irritating. the best voice possible for Frieza.
2. The Ginyu Force: Besides Recoome, of course, since his is the same. But these were all good replacements, especially Jeice.
3. Dartinian Nickelback as Cell: Gee, he sure does do a good job at imitating Dameon Clarke, huh? :P

Least favorite voices

1. Monica Rial as Bulma: Sounds less like how I'd imagine Bulma sounding like and more like a bitchy math teacher
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Jheeze I'm just a kid, give me a break!
Okay, this is getting a bit silly. Either you're a kid or an adult. If you are, as you claim, an adult who likes childish things, you can't use the, "I'm just a kid" excuse because, well, you're not. And if you actually are a kid, do you really want that to be your defining feature any time someone engages you in debate? Wouldn't you prefer to be taken seriously?
My mother said I'll always be her child.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:10 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:1. Monica Rial as Bulma: Sounds less like how I'd imagine Bulma sounding like and more like a bitchy math teacher
Maybe I'm just weird, but I think she sounds kinda hot.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:1. Monica Rial as Bulma: Sounds less like how I'd imagine Bulma sounding like and more like a bitchy math teacher
Maybe I'm just weird, but I think she sounds kinda hot.
[Kikuchi track that plays in Dragon Ball when something sexy is happening]

But seriously, I thought when Rial wanted to sound bitchy or spunky, it worked really well. When she tried to sound nice or vulnerable, I really bought it too.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:33 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:My mother said I'll always be her child.
We will always be our mother's child, but in their minds and hearts of course. We also grow up, and never stay kids forever too.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:54 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:My mother said I'll always be her child.
We will always be our mother's child, but in their minds and hearts of course. We also grow up, and never stay kids forever too.
Ever heard of the teenager trapped in a baby's body?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Can we just cut the crap responses? If you're an adult, act your age. If you're not, you need to quickly understand that you're conversing with many folks far older than you, and this cute nonsense needs to end. You're testing everyone's patience -- my own included.

Back on-topic. Thank you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:11 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Ever heard of the teenager trapped in a baby's body?
You are not even a teenager if you are 24 years old! What the hell are you? A baby? A kid? A teen? An adult?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:49 pm

batistabus wrote:
No, the proper way to say it would've been "he sounds too feminine" or "his voice is too high pitched". You might as well have said something like "Sabat sounds like a total [n-word] when he voices Piccolo". It's immensely offensive and especially inappropriate on a forum with such a mixed bag of users.

As for your comparisons...I have no idea as to what you're getting at. And I think your comments about Clinkenbeard's #18 are just untrue.
Well then I will say that Jeice's voice sounds like someone that came out of the closet.

Sabat's Piccolo in the Old Dub/Remastered sounded like a drunk guy, plz lets not forget that famous line known as "The Balls are Inert".

About Clinkenbeard voicing 18, why cant she do what Tanaka did?
I mean something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Bwzk1p_Xs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zJ9cFr1 ... re=related
You see there is a bit of difference in the voices.

Also, as I already mentioned that she sounded way too much like Gohan and had the problem Sabat had in the past.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMTVWbkbizM

Watch the video you will see how Burter sounded too much like Vegeta in the Remastered Dub. Thats the problem Clinkenbeard had.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:08 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Well then I will say that Jeice's voice sounds like someone that came out of the closet.
No...batistabus already summed up what you were trying to say. You're still implying that Jheese's voice sounds "gay". Which is still kinda offensive, but certainly more PC than your previous comment. But with that said, that's still wrong. Liking the same gender does not heighten the pitch of your voice, that's why calling it "more feminine" or "high-pitched" is a better "critique".
perucho1990 wrote:About Clinkenbeard voicing 18, why cant she do what Tanaka did?

Also, as I already mentioned that she sounded way too much like Gohan and had the problem Sabat had in the past.

...Thats the problem Clinkenbeard had.
Why would want Clinkenbeard to do that? Luffy and Krillin sound much more similar than #18 or Gohan ever did. I still don't know what you're seeing, or hearing that is. She did a good job differentiating her little kid voice and woman voice.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:51 pm

I haven't watched any of the One Piece anime, but I've been reading a lot of it lately. Krillin and Luffy are COMPLETELY different characters. I find it odd that they have the same voice actress, but I'd have to hear some lines to judge for myself. I've heard some clips from the FUNimation version, and Clinkenbeard sounds great. Then again, Luffy and Gohan are also completely different characters...

Anyway, I don't personally think there's a problem with thinking or saying that a character sounds gay. There are plenty of characters that are MEANT to have a manner of speaking that resembles the opposite gender role. There's an entire argument that could be had about how (in the media) gay characters have been given a particular role or sound, but for all intents and purposes, it's something that does exist in the Dragon Ball universe. Mr. Popo is a perfect example of insensitive character design, but we all let it slide due to Toriyama's (and perhaps Japan's) ignorance and lack of exposure (rather than an attempt by Toriyama to be racist or demeaning). DBZ's Japanese portrayal of Butta seems to be another example. There's nothing wrong with thinking that a character should speak in a more masculine manner, or have a voice actor with a voice that is less high pitched. However, if you're just displeased with the voice actors performance, and you're going to use a random insult (Sabat sounded like a drunk), that's not okay. It's especially not okay when it's an insult that is offensive exclusively to a certain group of people.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:57 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Well then I will say that Jeice's voice sounds like someone that came out of the closet.
No...batistabus already summed up what you were trying to say. You're still implying that Jheese's voice sounds "gay". Which is still kinda offensive, but certainly more PC than your previous comment. But with that said, that's still wrong. Liking the same gender does not heighten the pitch of your voice, that's why calling it "more feminine" or "high-pitched" is a better "critique".
perucho1990 wrote:About Clinkenbeard voicing 18, why cant she do what Tanaka did?

...Thats the problem Clinkenbeard had.
Why would want Clinkenbeard to do that? Luffy and Krillin sound much more similar than #18 or Gohan ever did. I still don't know what you're seeing, or hearing that is. She did a good job differentiating her little kid voice and woman voice.
#18's voice sounded a lot like Gohan when she was talking loudly, or screaming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWhe4G8Ip9o

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 pm

I can hear a tiny tidbit of Gohan in the voice but other than that it's a completely different voice.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:10 pm

batistabus wrote:I haven't watched any of the One Piece anime, but I've been reading a lot of it lately. Krillin and Luffy are COMPLETELY different characters. I find it odd that they have the same voice actress, but I'd have to hear some lines to judge for myself. I've heard some clips from the FUNimation version, and Clinkenbeard sounds great. Then again, Luffy and Gohan are also completely different characters...

Anyway, I don't personally think there's a problem with thinking or saying that a character sounds gay. There are plenty of characters that are MEANT to have a manner of speaking that resembles the opposite gender role. There's an entire argument that could be had about how (in the media) gay characters have been given a particular role or sound, but for all intents and purposes, it's something that does exist in the Dragon Ball universe. Mr. Popo is a perfect example of insensitive character design, but we all let it slide due to Toriyama's (and perhaps Japan's) ignorance and lack of exposure (rather than an attempt by Toriyama to be racist or demeaning). DBZ's Japanese portrayal of Butta seems to be another example. There's nothing wrong with thinking that a character should speak in a more masculine manner, or have a voice actor with a voice that is less high pitched. However, if you're just displeased with the voice actors performance, and you're going to use a random insult (Sabat sounded like a drunk), that's not okay. It's especially not okay when it's an insult that is offensive exclusively to a certain group of people.
Mr 2 aka Bon Clay in One Piece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTszWUiuCbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIWtsf7Y ... re=related

Despite being gay, he was a funny character.

You should watch One Piece, its very very entertaining, having the voice actors of Inuyasha and Pikachu = instant win.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:12 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Mr 2 aka Bon Clay in One Piece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTszWUiuCbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIWtsf7Y ... re=related

Despite being gay, he was a funny character.

You should watch One Piece, its very very entertaining, having the voice actors of Inuyasha and Pikachu = instant win.
Is it ever actually said Bon Clay was Gay? He could just be more feminine that other people.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 am

Bon Clay is definitely gay. He uses the word "okama" a lot to describe himself, which I've seen translated as "transvestite" or just "gay".

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Looks like most of us agree that Chris Sabat has had the most improvement in his roles.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?