Do you really want a Buu Saga in Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Do you really want a Buu Saga in Kai?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:26 pm

I suppose I haven't actually answered the question yet...
yes, I absolutely do. Maybe it's just the early Boo saga, or something, but I was watching box 6, and it was so Goddamn boring, I couldn't sit through more than one episode at once. The only other time I thought it was that bad was during the Freeza fight. During the Z Saiyan saga, I could probably marathon 5-7 whole episodes at once. I then ordered the seventh VizBig, and probably won't even watch the Z Boo saga. I'll probably just go: original DB, Kai, Z VizBigs 7-9, GT. (And of course I'll get all the VizBigs eventually.)

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:19 pm

For completeness, I would prefer having the Boo saga than just having it finish off at the Cell arch. A less abrupt, anti-climactic ending with the Cell ending, yes, but there's enough left out that makes me want the Boo saga. There's so much to cut and refine, and as it is the saga is padded like hell. For the hell of it, I went ahead and made my own cuts to the saga, but of course I have no real budget and studio to work with. Holding me over for a real refresher? Sure, but that's a far cry.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:40 am

Yes I do. Why leave it out? It doesn't make much sense....
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an important part of the storyline that Toriyama wrote. For a show that aimed to be "true to the manga" Kai failed by not actually providing the manga's ending. It doesn't matter if the Boo arch is terrible or great, the aim of the show was to be faithful to Toriyama's creation, and not to become some weird Toei thing.
Agreed.

BrodieK41

Post by BrodieK41 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:13 am

Part of me would like to see Kai air the Buu arc so it could complete the series but at this point, I'm so exhausted with Kai that I think the franchise would be better off taking a break and this is coming from someone who loves the Buu arc.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:55 am

They really should add in Buu. But I can survive without it. Imagine having to deal with the same tedious music again! No way!

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 am

I would love to see the Buu Saga get the Kai Treatment. But I think the main problem will probably be finding a new composer, since you can't really use the original score or the replacement.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 am

Even with the Boo arc, Kai would always be an incomplete product. Yeah, they missed the final arc...but they also the beginning...and everything between the beginning and where Kai took off.

I don't want a Boo saga Kai. I want a Dragon Ball: Brotherhood, where everything is as close to the manga as possible. (And with new character designs and animation, not the same thing we already have)
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:26 am

Rukura wrote:Even with the Boo arc, Kai would always be an incomplete product. Yeah, they missed the final arc...but they also the beginning...and everything between the beginning and where Kai took off.

I don't want a Boo saga Kai. I want a Dragon Ball: Brotherhood, where everything is as close to the manga as possible. (And with new character designs and animation, not the same thing we already have)
Toei Animation needs to come up with a brand new story/series with brand new characters (maybe a Son Goku Junior) and let Dragon Ball Z die already.

I know, make Dragon Ball Heroes into an anime series, have a Goku Junior in it, new music composer (Takaki) and everyone's happy.

No need for TA to go back to the 89's.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:39 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Toei Animation needs to come up with a brand new story/series with brand new characters (maybe a Son Goku Junior) and let Dragon Ball Z die already.

I know, make Dragon Ball Heroes into an anime series, have a Goku Junior in it, new music composer (Takaki) and everyone's happy.

No need for TA to go back to the 89's.
You're saying what Toei was thinking in the 90's. Then they made Dragon Ball GT. (kinda did worse than Kai)

Here's what they need to do: Neko Majin OVAs, for God's sake already. Animate the crossover with One Piece. Then they can either re-animate everything (like a normal animation company. Like they should've done with Kai) and later make a new story with the stuff we've seen from Heroes (maybe buy Toriyama Mount Fuji to convince him to write a new story for it), or go straight to the new stuff and make something with the Heroes concept. (Although, I seriously question how far one can go with that, when it's 90% pre-existing characters but whatever)
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Actually, what I'd want apart from a kaified buu, is a special around Majin Buu's creation. Before the legend of the Super Saiyan, there was Buu.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Wasn't the original animation used for Kai to respect the animators of DBZ (I hear some died)?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 pm

matt0044 wrote:Wasn't the original animation used for Kai to respect the animators of DBZ (I hear some died)?
They reused the footage simply because it's a cheaper way.

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:14 am

Only for the sakes of a Buu Saga redub. I never really liked Kai, just because it was nothing more but a quick, cheap, and lazy money grab.

Would've been much better if it was new animation, the FUNimation dub was really what made the series great for me IMO.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:52 am

Son Geeko wrote:Only for the sakes of a Buu Saga redub. I never really liked Kai, just because it was nothing more but a quick, cheap, and lazy money grab.

Would've been much better if it was new animation, the FUNimation dub was really what made the series great for me IMO.
Have you seen the Namek and Freeza arc on Blu-ray? It looks gorgeous and the music helps a lot too.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:46 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Son Geeko wrote:Only for the sakes of a Buu Saga redub. I never really liked Kai, just because it was nothing more but a quick, cheap, and lazy money grab.

Have you seen the Namek and Freeza arc on Blu-ray? It looks gorgeous and the music helps a lot too.
Personally I think it looks crappy, and the music doesn't matter because it's all being replaced in the new sets anyway.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:19 pm

If there was a Kai'd version of the Buu arc, I wonder if they could get Kikuchi to compose brand new music.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:22 pm

penguintruth wrote:If there was a Kai'd version of the Buu arc, I wonder if they could get Kikuchi to compose brand new music.
I wouldn't mind if they just used previously scored Kikuchi pieces for Z in Kai as long as they were placed decently so they don't sound repeptitive like in Kai.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:25 pm

penguintruth wrote:If there was a Kai'd version of the Buu arc, I wonder if they could get Kikuchi to compose brand new music.
The tunes he composed for Dr. Slump and Arale-chan, plus the DBZ films sounded very cinematic imo.

It'd be interesting to listen to new Kikuchi 2012 tracks.

But... Why would Toei Animation do such thing? Using proper BGMs for Boo's arc from DBZ would just be perfectly fine, I would've preferred if Kai had more Boo BGMs for Saiyan-Cell's arc, which it didn't.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 am

I wish that FUNi (with Toei's approval) redubbed the Buu Saga from Z to fit in with Kai (dub wise). Hell, I wish Dragon Ball would get redubbed as well to meet the standards of good dubs today.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:03 am

matt0044 wrote:I wish that FUNi (with Toei's approval) redubbed the Buu Saga from Z to fit in with Kai (dub wise). Hell, I wish Dragon Ball would get redubbed as well to meet the standards of good dubs today.
Technically, they can do that if they wanted and practically anything else too since they own the license for the series.

But they know better than to tamper with something that could ultimately fail. Besides, the Buu Saga's dub is alright on it's own really along with Dragon Ball's.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)