"Dude, Mah Truck!"

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

"Dude, Mah Truck!"

Post by matt0044 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 am

This is one mysterious dub line in Kai. Why was it used? It makes no sense for Nicktoons since they've never actually censored death (that much) and it doesn't make sense in the Unuct version since... it's friggin' uncut.

Why do you think this line was used? Was it a mistake or intentional? And no, I don't want any FUNimation bashing posts or short comments. You know who you are so stick to ONLY the subject of this thread without callously insulting anybody from FUNimation. They screwed the pooched on DBZ back then but they were amateurs then. Seeing the Anime they've dubbed and release in the last decade, I'd say they've gotten better.

Anyways, what do you think is the story behind this odd as hell line?
Last edited by matt0044 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: "Duh, Mah Truck!"

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:18 am

Wasn't the main dub script (re)writer a different person for Mecha Freeza onward?

Different script writer, slight lack of caring coming off the high of the initial product and hype, settling into (old) ways, carelessness, etc.?

(I don't know how you expect anyone to answer the question without at least a tiny bit of negativity. You admit the line is out of place and should not have been included in the uncut product, so there almost has to be something ever-so-slightly resembling a disparaging remark just attempting to answer the question.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:24 am

Probably a line intended for the edited version to soften the blow of Vegeta, by this point something of a "good guy," or at least a member of the main cast, engaging in wonton murder. My guess is that's why it was included, even if they were otherwise comfortable with acknowledging death.

As for how it ended up in the uncut version, I don't know if I'd call it "carelessness," per say (although it's hard to call it anything else). There are several mistakes like this in the uncut version, if I remember correctly. Chalk it up to having three different audio tracks on file for many lines, the rushed production of the series for both TV and home releases, and the audio swaps that likely had to be done last-minute due to the Yamamoto issue. Isn't this line on FUNimation's Part 5? That would be the first to have the replacement score, so it's possible there was some serious last-minute swapping that could easily lead to using the wrong audio track for certain lines.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:35 am

Cipher wrote:Probably a line intended for the edited version to soften the blow of Vegeta, by this point something of a "good guy," or at least a member of the main cast, engaging in wonton murder. My guess is that's why it was included, even if they were otherwise comfortable with acknowledging death.
Even though he's an Anti-hero so he's not really a good guy. Besides, he was aiming at 18 herself and any kid would be smart enough to see that NOBODY could've survived that blast unless it was played for laughs which it wasn't.
(I don't know how you expect anyone to answer the question without at least a tiny bit of negativity. You admit the line is out of place and should not have been included in the uncut product, so there almost has to be something ever-so-slightly resembling a disparaging remark just attempting to answer the question.)
I meant negativity not towards this line alone since that'd go without saying but towards FUNimation overall like they're the worst people ever.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:48 am

No one knows. My theory is the "rushed production" theory...that line was not so much carelessness as it was--like people have mentioned--a result of the chaos of the fast pace of production for an uncut version, two edited versions, and then three new mixes (the uncut version and the two edited versions with Kikuchi's replacement score). I can't remember specific examples off the top of my head, but I believe we noticed a few specific instances of dialogue that appear to have been incorrectly placed in the uncut version instead of the edited version, and vice versa (like a mention of death in the Nicktoons-edited version that was replaced with a more tame line in the uncut dub).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Just Funimation falling back on old habits.

The Kai dub is good, it's not perfect. Every now and then Funimation just can't help adding their own "touch" to things. You find it in even their best dubs.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:36 pm

penguintruth wrote:Just Funimation falling back on old habits.

The Kai dub is good, it's not perfect. Every now and then Funimation just can't help adding their own "touch" to things. You find it in even their best dubs.
I like that about them since they can make the dialogue true to the original but rewritten to flow better but only when they know what they're doing unlike with this line. Plus, it's not like they actually said that they're doing better than the original and they don't change anything major unlike with 4kids or themselves back in their early years. Call me crazy but that's my belief.

Plus, old habits or not, that doesn't explain anything about this. In the Kai dub, there were no lines like this where a minor character like the truck driver dies and said something, indicating he/she's okay other than this one instance. When Gero torched the island of the coast of South City, the citizens who died in the crossfire didn't say "Dude, our city!" and the Farmer who Raditz shot didn't say "That there was a low blow, varmint!" even in the Toonzai version. So why only this moment in Kai? Why? As Kronk would say, "By all accounts, it doesn't make sense."

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:14 pm

As said before, it was probably due to a rushed production along with the mayhem that Yamamoto caused as part of the reason.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Gonstead wrote:As said before, it was probably due to a rushed production along with the mayhem that Yamamoto caused as part of the reason.
Okay but what was the purpose of the line for the get-go? Forget the rushed production and FUNi's dubbing styles, why was it written to begin with? BS Censorship? A VA having fun but the audio file got mixed in somehow? I just don't get it. Someone should ask Sabat or Schemmel or Strait at a con or on FB/Twit.

Forgive me if I seem a bit uptight, this just really bothers me.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:54 pm

matt0044 wrote:
Gonstead wrote:As said before, it was probably due to a rushed production along with the mayhem that Yamamoto caused as part of the reason.
Okay but what was the purpose of the line for the get-go? Forget the rushed production and FUNi's dubbing styles, why was it written to begin with? BS Censorship? A VA having fun but the audio file got mixed in somehow? I just don't get it. Someone should ask Sabat or Schemmel or Strait at a con or on FB/Twit.

Forgive me if I seem a bit uptight, this just really bothers me.
Probably. We know Freeza's "wimps" line got mixed in with Season 2, and that's from the Toonzai version, so it's entirely possible that the "truck" line simply got mixed in by mistake, having originally been recorded for the Nicktoons version.

Perhaps the line was recorded for the Toonzai version, but we know that episode was never purchased.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:54 pm

I'd say it was nothing more than an oversight that was accidentally added to the uncut version. The same can be said about Vegeta's infamous "Darn him" line in Part 2, when at this point they've had no problem saying "Damn." Not to mention there have been a few instances where characters say "What the heck?" instead of "What the hell?" from time to time.

Chris Sabat knows these little booboos are there and even jokes about it. Somewhere on youtube is him at a convention saying something along the lines of "Dragon Ball Z Kai is amazing and a perfect version of Dragon Ball Z with no mistakes whatsoever, even counting the ones you've already found."
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dude, Mah Truck!"

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Castleking001 recently edited episode 65 to remove the line. It has Yamamoto music, BTW.
Castleking001 wrote:I removed the "Dude Mah Truck!" line from episode 65 while leaving the sound effects and score alone. Here's the link if anyone wants it :D , unfortunately I could only make an mp4 audio and video version :( .

Audio Only:

http://www.4shared.com/music/adEbxWg6ce ... truck.html?

Video and Audio:

http://www.4shared.com/video/sIREUh-Vce ... Rayx2.html?
Known as Hiltonium everywhere else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Now Completed!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Man that line threw me off when I first heard it. I was watching that ep with a lot of people at the time and we just all started laughing, like really loud. How can a guy survive a blast like that? Maybe he was secretly a fighter :shifty: and was actually able to get outta there. That's like the only way to correct that error having that kind of mindset..

I think one of the writers noticed Vegeta was a good guy now but misunderstood that he really wasn't. And if it was a new writer, that would make more sense too.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:43 pm

I guess he jumped out (or was flung out) at the very last second.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:I think one of the writers noticed Vegeta was a good guy now but misunderstood that he really wasn't. And if it was a new writer, that would make more sense too.
Possible, but I'd say the most likely explanation is that it was a line intended for the edited version that accidentally got put in the uncut version (I believe the edited version didn't have this line).

If that's the case, then yes, it was a censorship effort. Legally speaking, characters can't be shown getting killed or dying on TV shows on certain channels/networks and time slots. There are a multitude of ways to get around this...the most common way is to simply not show the death, but if that's not possible or inconvenient for reasons of story coherence, another option is to change the script and imply that dead characters are merely injured. Throwing in "Dude, mah truck" implies that the guy is still alive. Another simmilar option--and one that was used for the 4Kids/Toonzai/Vortexx airing--is to add in vocal groans after a character has died...they did that with Yamcha, Piccolo, and Farmer With Shotgun (or, as he was in the aforementioned airing, Farmer With Laser Blaster).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:31 pm

^Didn't Dr. Gero torch an inhabited island? Nappa too with East City? Nicktoons really let those deaths slide.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:07 pm

matt0044 wrote:^Didn't Dr. Gero torch an inhabited island? Nappa too with East City? Nicktoons really let those deaths slide.
Nicktoons is the key word there. They're able to get away with more since they're a premium-access network...not as many eyes watching, not as many people to worry about offending, and therefore the rules are looser. I'm not sure how the CW handled it for the Toonzai/Vortexx version.

Having said that, it's worth noting that even in the Nicktoons version, the edits started getting more strict eventually. Things that used to be OK before, like the mentioning of the word "idiot," were suddenly being censored even in the Nicktoons version. What's so bad about the word "idiot"? According to most people, nothing, but according to the FCC, it's a bad word. Apparently, in the strictest terms, the word "idiot" actually means a mentally retarded person. So, while the word "idiot" used to appear in the Nicktoons version, they suddenly started censoring it.

Why was FUNimation now editing stuff on Nicktoons that was allowed before? We don't know. However, there's a common theory.

Nicktoons was the first network to get a TV distribution deal for Kai, and the show began airing on Nicktoons before the CW also secured a TV distribution deal of their own. A 4Kids exec said in an Anime News Network interview that they would try to air the Nicktoons-edited version as-is, but that they may need to request further edits. It turns out, that's just what happened...even more editing was required. To go back and re-edit the show (which includes re-voicing, re-writing, and re-drawing) yet again is a production hassle and financial cost that those involved likely wished to avoid. So, in an effort to make the process more smooth going forward, it's likely that FUNimation started to base their editing decisions around what the CW would likely have an issue with, since they were more strict than Nicktoons, and therefore Nicktoons wouldn't have an issue with anything that the CW was OK with.

As a result, the Nicktoons version started to become just about as "tame" as the CW version.

Now, combine that with the dilemma of keeping track of seven versions of the dub. Seven versions, as in...

-The uncut version with Yamamoto's score
-The Nicktoons-edited version with Yamamoto's score
-The Nicktoons-edited version with an alternate Yamamoto score
-The CW-edited version with Yamamoto's score
-The uncut version with Kikuchi's score
-The Nicktoons-edited version with Kikuchi's score
-The CW-edited version with Kikuchi's score

Taking all that into account, I don't find it surprising at all that certain lines meant for certain versions got mixed up with other versions. I mean, from my perspective, that sounds like it must have been an organizational nightmare!

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:05 pm

To be specific, idiot and moron were both terms subdividing IQ levels in the area attributed to "mental retardation". Idiot was the bottom of the barrel, the range covering as low as it could go.

Dunno how idiot and moron devolved to common intellectual insults with little deeper meaning while "retard" stuck as a more offensive term against the mentally disabled, but hey, languages change.

I think the odd lines that occasionally hit releases were just accidentally either repeating edited lines by mistake, or swapping uncut and edited lines (which did happen at least on one or two occasions).

The TV rush hurt the dub at times even as it spread awareness of it to kids.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:09 pm

I personally like to think somebody recorded that for fun and it was left in unintentionally. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:34 am

Sadly this FUNimation errorwas also on the Mexican and Brazilian dub scripts, I think, at least I remember hearing "cara, meu veículo!" (dude, my truck!) on that scene but that wouldn't be much of a problem had they been given the uncut footage than Nicktoons' censored (Kai uncut is already censored too) as it'd have made up for it.

I at one point wanted to buy the Brazilian Kai DVDs but never got around it because they seem pretty hard to acquire for people outside Brazil. Oh well.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray