DBZKai comes to the UK

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by Super Gazellian » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:32 pm

I live in England and I've always said "zee". It makes no sense that anyone would be confused by that :? And even if they've never heard "zee", kids are smart enough to realise what it is very quickly. So no worries really, I'll be annoyed if they feel they actually have to change it to "zed" :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:18 pm

"Zed" or "Zetto" would be odd. I've always been of the impression that that's just "Zee" as pronounced with a Japanese accent. Quite frankly, I don't want them to go overboard and start calling Vegeta Beijita, calling Trunks Torahnksu, or calling Freeza Furiza. Some of those pronunciations are just how things sound with a Japanese accent, not the actual, correct pronunciations.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Kix tweeted earlier saying they will be making a special announcement on saturday, could it be Kai?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:34 am

If it is then I hope there's also a trailer showing of a couple of clips of the dub even if it's only the new voice for Goku going "Kamehameha" like the original trailer for the Funi fub of Kai. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPOFOomo9b8

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 am

ringworm128 wrote:If it is then I hope there's also a trailer showing of a couple of clips of the dub even if it's only the new voice for Goku going "Kamehameha" like the original trailer for the Funi fub of Kai. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPOFOomo9b8
Agreed, hope someone here with access to the channel will make sure to be sat all day ready to record if it is Kai, then be prepared to get the video online as soon as!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:59 am

Heh...it would be kinda funny in a dark/disappointing way if the announcement turned out to be a montage of clips of the FUNimation dub, revealing that the UK is getting the FUNimation dub of Kai, and we all get seriously bummed out for getting our hopes up for nothing. :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:15 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Heh...it would be kinda funny in a dark/disappointing way if the announcement turned out to be a montage of clips of the FUNimation dub, revealing that the UK is getting the FUNimation dub of Kai, and we all get seriously bummed out for getting our hopes up for nothing. :lol:
Agreed, that would be pretty crap, but also funny.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:56 am

I'll see if I can take one for the team, but no guarantees because it'd look weird to my family If I just left a kid's channel like that on.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:47 am

Speaking of this being a kid's channel, if this were to be the Canadian dub, they might have adapted the script with a kid-friendly network in mind from the beginning.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:34 am

KingofWisdom wrote:Speaking of this being a kid's channel, if this were to be the Canadian dub, they might have adapted the script with a kid-friendly network in mind from the beginning.
I don't know. I suppose that is possible. Kix! did see the screener for Kai in early 2011 before the dub started being recorded. So they could have adapted the script for that channel. But if they wrote the script back in early 2010 when they were doing the TV edits, I doubt they knew what channel they would get. Kix! seems to be more aimed for older kids than what is seen on Nicktoons UK. It was really the only option they had since the other kids channels aren't interested in anime anymore.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Well they air Batman Beyond which isn't exactly what I'd think you'd find on Nicktoons, but then again as long as there is some sort of uncut release in the end I don't care :P

Here is another tweet from earlier, they don't seem to be letting anything off.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks to madged1 over at UKDB for this:

http://www.kixtv.co.uk/whats-on/index.a ... 05/01/2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0p8pVZbbrQ

Looks like Kai is airing Saturday the 5th of January. Interestingly the episode titles used are the same as Funimation's. It's probably just Ocean using the Funi scripts. That announcement on this Saturday looks like it is related to Kai now.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Hmm..... Them using the same episode titles is possible, but I'm not sure you should all set your hopes up too high.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Hahaha....somebody tweet pics of that schedule to Kix and ask, "But really, what's your announcement?" :lol:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:28 pm

Solidus wrote:Thanks to madged1 over at UKDB for this:

http://www.kixtv.co.uk/whats-on/index.a ... 05/01/2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0p8pVZbbrQ

Looks like Kai is airing Saturday the 5th of January. Interestingly the episode titles used are the same as Funimation's. It's probably just Ocean using the Funi scripts. That announcement on this Saturday looks like it is related to Kai now.
I've got the Freeview Box ready but if it's the FUNimation Dub I'll just skip it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Awesome, less than four weeks away.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 am

I just noticed this in the description of Kai from the website:

Prologue to Battle! The Return of Goku! Five years have passed since Goku's victory over Piccolo. An odd looking spacecraft crashes to Earth and a strange man emerges who almost kills Piccolo!

They didn't censor 'kills'. I wonder if this means anything for the dub or edited version being shown.

dbzforeverUK

Post by dbzforeverUK » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:36 am

Uncut Ocean dub? I remember the 2nd half of the Westwood dub using words like "kill"and "die" Plus things have changed over the last ten years or so.Parents don't make such a big deal about there children hearing those words these days,heck GT was uncensored here.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:11 am

That would be good news, but I reckon they'd still have it cut to Nicktoon's level.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:44 am

I'm hoping since Kix isn't a massively popular channel that they'll be able to get away with a few things. I'de imagine they aren't under as much scrutiny as the bigger kids channels. Then again I have no idea how kids TV channels operate.