DBZKai comes to the UK

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:11 am

May just be a Canada-only dub, this tine around.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:13 am

TestDemo wrote:An advert on the channel aired this morning showing clips of the series, promoting the Boxing Day sneak peek.

While I cannot be sure (because I haven't seen DBZ Kai, I think it may be the US dub), I recorded the advert, see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV3yyJHl ... e=youtu.be

Can some tell me which dub it is?
Aw shit. :-/

It's the FUNimation Kai Dub.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:14 am

Unless they mix and match when (if) the Ocean Dub becomes available, wouldn't surprise me.

dbzforeverUK

Post by dbzforeverUK » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am

Makes me wonder if the Ocean dub of Kai is a hoax played out by certain voice actors,either way how the Funimation dub made it to the UK without any mention on there website amazes me. They are normally the first to report anything about there dub's/productions airing.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:08 am

They showed a promo already? Dang, I only just woke up. Anyway, sorry all you Ocean fans.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:33 am

So, in the end, there is both good and bad news. The good news is that DBZ Kai is finally coming to the UK, and for fans of the US dub they'll be getting exactly what they wanted. The bad, for the Canadian dub fans, is that it appears to be the US dub. Which makes the below email that some fan recieved from Ocean's Executive Producer Ken Morrison seem bizzare:

Why would Ocean staff themselves have got it so wrong? Is it really the US dub going to air. or is this like it was for it's predecessor series DBZ? To mention that in 2002, on the Turner owned channel CNX, the Funimation dub of DBZ aired for a certain number of episodes and was even used in promotional material for the channel. It was then replaced in later airings with the Canadian dub. This could be a scenario like that happening again, maybe for some unknown reason the Canadian dub wasn't ready yet, or CSC Media might have been told by the licensor to use the US dub video but will broadcast the Canadian dub. This speculation will not end until presumably CSC Media flat out state which version of the show they will be airing, or we wait a while after the initial broadcasts and the dub does/does'nt change.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:56 am

I wonder if he was on a rush and simply didn't care how it was written or spelt as.
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:07 am

This is incredibly disappointing but until it actually airs I still have hope. It's just a promo after all.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:29 am

NitroEX wrote:This is incredibly disappointing but until it actually airs I still have hope. It's just a promo after all.
But how can they make a promo of something that they don't broadcast?

Maybe they used pirated videos available online like a Serbian company did, though. :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsIcmeaDbNw

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:26 pm

This doesn't make sense. All of the Ocean voice actors who talked about the Ocean dub referred to it as the UK dub. The UK market is big enough to have a dub produced for it.

Going by what Scott McNeil said about the producers insisting on the correct pronunciation of Namek, the producers are either very knowledgeable on the Dragon Ball series, are fans of Dragon Ball, or both. If so, it's very likely they know how popular Ocean is among the Dragon Ball fan community. So as a joke they may have got CSC media to use the Funi dub audio for the preview but the actual episodes may be the Ocean dub. There is hope, but if that's true then they really need to make clear that the UK is getting the Ocean dub, because there's a lot of fans willing to market and spread the word to get more people to watch DBZ Kai but only if it's the Ocean dub. If it's the Funi dub, most fans probably won't care. There's no point to the Funi dub, it's old news.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 pm

RazorX wrote:There's no point to the Funi dub, it's old news.
Well, until we get to the the inevitable FUNimation dub of the Kai-Buu arc.

In the mean time, though, has anyone thought to just email or tweet CS Media and ask them about this? Somebody could just politely explain that there are two dubs and ask which one they received. It seems near-certain that they got the FUNimation dub from that promo, though. Color me surprised.

Also...
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Heh...it would be kinda funny in a dark/disappointing way if the announcement turned out to be a montage of clips of the FUNimation dub, revealing that the UK is getting the FUNimation dub of Kai, and we all get seriously bummed out for getting our hopes up for nothing. :lol:
....Well....this really came back to bite me in the ass, now didn't it? I'm beginning to think I jynxed the situation. Sorry guys! :lol:

EDIT: Okay, screw it, I just emailed Kix myself. I'll let you guys know if they email me back. Feel free to email them yourselves, of course.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:51 am

You know guys, they did say it was only a sneak peak. Maybe they didn't receive the Ocean dub masters in time for the sneak peak, and thus used the Funimation version for promotional purposes. We don't know when the series is set to enter regular rotation, right?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:36 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:You know guys, they did say it was only a sneak peak. Maybe they didn't receive the Ocean dub masters in time for the sneak peak, and thus used the Funimation version for promotional purposes. We don't know when the series is set to enter regular rotation, right?
I'm hoping that's the case. Are there any other English speaking countries besides Canada that hasn't received an English dub of Kai?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:49 am

If they made a promo using clips from the Funimation dub, that means that they would have to have the rights to the Funimation dub.

Now think of this: Why would they buy the rights to a dub in order to make a promo for an alternative dub? It makes no sense considering that they would be shelling out for two dubs, one of which is the only one that they'll actually use.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:25 am

Disappointed that is seems likely we're not getting the Ocean dub of Kai. I've never really had a big interest in Kai in any form, the only thing that had me a little interested was the new score, but then the Yamamoto scandal put a stop to that. However the majority of my initial exposure and viewing of the series was through the Ocean voice cast in some form or the other (i.e. Funi Season 1 & 2 and UK/Canadian Ocean/Westwood dub) and while it's definitely a large part of nostalgia, I still have a great fondness of the Ocean cast, particularly of the likes of Brian Drummond, Scott McNeil and Brad Swaile and I was quietly looking forward to this new Ocean dub of Kai.

While it's nice to have some form of DB back on the TV here in the UK, my interest levels have dipped considerably due to recent developments.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:39 am

Gonstead wrote:If they made a promo using clips from the Funimation dub, that means that they would have to have the rights to the Funimation dub.

Now think of this: Why would they buy the rights to a dub in order to make a promo for an alternative dub? It makes no sense considering that they would be shelling out for two dubs, one of which is the only one that they'll actually use.
While it is a bit of a hard thing to believe, as I mentioned earlier, Funimation dub has aired in the UK before and then been replaced by Ocean later, as on CNX airing the Fusion saga of Funimation dub and then later on airing the Ocean dub. It's plausible that the master licensor Toei would give their sublicensors a dub they have the rights to until they can provide the intended dub to their licensor. Of course, that was 10 years ago, on a different channel as well. I guess the only answer is to contact Kix and ask them, maybe they'll reply and give a definitive answer.

The only thing that shocks me is the response of the fanbase, DBZ Kai finally comes to the UK, and unlike the previous DBZ series is on a FREE channel, unlike when the DBZ series was on Turner's channels which are part of a pay TV package, and the response of the fans is to whinge and moan. I mean, DBZ Kai is not DBZ, and were it not for Ocean staff claiming that their dub was going to the UK, then there would be no precedent or rationale for believing that the UK would get anything different than the US got.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:59 am

An example; Toonzai used temporary replacement music on one or more than one episode of DRAGON BALL KAI, so perhaps the same could have happened in this case which would be broadcasting a temporary dub until the definitive arrives in completeness.

Either way it really stinks that they aired the FUNimation dub, I was expecting Ocean Dub Kai.

Btw, is Dragon Ball really that big in UK? I don't know of anyone in real life in UK that knows about DB or whatever, maybe it's just the fans wishful thinking it was actually popular still.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:19 am

I get the feeling it's still well known among the people who are actually old enough to remember it on Cartoon network and Toonami/CNX but I can't say for the younger fans. It doesn't help that, besides the games, nothing DBZ related really got released over here until very recently. The influence online from US fans and other English speaking countries has helped keep the fandom alive somewhat. It's just too bad most of the US fans are very anti Ocean.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:24 am

TestDemo wrote: The only thing that shocks me is the response of the fanbase, DBZ Kai finally comes to the UK, and unlike the previous DBZ series is on a FREE channel, unlike when the DBZ series was on Turner's channels which are part of a pay TV package, and the response of the fans is to whinge and moan. I mean, DBZ Kai is not DBZ, and were it not for Ocean staff claiming that their dub was going to the UK, then there would be no precedent or rationale for believing that the UK would get anything different than the US got.
But that's the point though isn't it? The fact that staff from Ocean stated that they was doing the dub for the UK, and then the announcement from Toei confirming that Kai was coming to the UK, it's not unreasonable that fans who liked the Ocean cast first time round when Z originally aired here were looking forward to an Ocean dubbed Kai only to be disappointed when it turns out that it's likely it's going to be the Funi dub (which from the bits and pieces I've seen seems to be a good dub). Expectations were raised through fairly credible sources (Ocean staff themselves). It's not moaning for the sake of it.

In this day and age what channel it's is fairly irrelevant (see how we were able to follow Kai's original airing live in Japan fairly painlessly if you wanted) And there's probably a good chance that the same fans you say are "whinging and moaning" have probably seen at least some of Funi's Kai and wanted a fresh take on it. Needless to say I think you're being harsh.

EDIT:

From what I can gather DBZ is firmly in that "awesome show I watched when I was younger" category for a lot of guys in their mid-20's. Through uni and various jobs, I've always come across a handful of people of who used to watch "back the day" or at least have heard of it.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 am

At the moment, I think the only DB fans in the UK are adults and the younger siblings and/or children of those adults, but then again, then was the situation before DBZ got popular the first time around too.