Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by Fizzer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:47 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Wait, even if SSJ2 Son Goku versus Pure Buu is filler... why would anyone be sad about it being kept? That fight is UNBELIEVABLY WELL DONE. It's one of the best fights in the saga.
Well, the ridiculous string of fights starting with Gotenks vs Super Buu does need cutting down a hell of a lot.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Wait, even if SSJ2 Son Goku versus Pure Buu is filler... why would anyone be sad about it being kept? That fight is UNBELIEVABLY WELL DONE. It's one of the best fights in the saga.
I love the whole sequence as well, but I can understand why some people would want it cut. The whole point of Kai was that it was supposed to be closer to the manga. That means cutting out (both good and bad) filler. It's not like the original scenes in "Z" are going anywhere.

That's what I would say, but Kai has kept such a pitiful amount of filler that I just don't care anymore. Bring on the extra scenes, I say.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:33 pm

MagicBox wrote:
I love the whole sequence as well, but I can understand why some people would want it cut. The whole point of Kai was that it was supposed to be closer to the manga. That means cutting out (both good and bad) filler. It's not like the original scenes in "Z" are going anywhere.

That's what I would say, but Kai has kept such a pitiful amount of filler that I just don't care anymore. Bring on the extra scenes, I say.
I cant wait to see how the fusion of vegito will be scored
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Because the whole point of Kai is to remove all filler, not "remove some filler so we can cut the total amount of episodes in half" that we got.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:53 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:SSJ2 Son Goku versus Pure Buu is filler...
Bingo.

I also find it hard to enjoy fights that have no purpose, like when one or both combatants are heavily holding back.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:18 pm

I suppose that, since the fight was so well done and enjoyable, it didn't matter to me that the actual event was filler. Especially considering it merely expanded upon the overall battle, instead of cutting into it and distracting from it, like a lot of filler.

I just remember seeing it for the first time and really enjoying it. I never came across to me as pointless, just because of how into it I was. Didn't even know it was filler until... well, within the last two years actually.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:43 pm

Yeah. I think people get caught up on what's filler and what isn't too much, considering that most everyone watched the show fine when it first aired not knowing the difference.

If you want a 100% filler free experience, the manga's waiting for you.
Kid Buu wrote:Because the whole point of Kai is to remove all filler, not "remove some filler so we can cut the total amount of episodes in half" that we got.
That's kind of an arbitrary designation, though. Toei decided what they wanted to do with the show when they made it. Besides, removing literally all filler would result in often badly paced scenes, as storytelling through manga and storytelling through animation are two very different ball games.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:10 pm

Storm wrote:That's kind of an arbitrary designation, though. Toei decided what they wanted to do with the show when they made it. Besides, removing literally all filler would result in often badly paced scenes, as storytelling through manga and storytelling through animation are two very different ball games.
Right, I don't think the people crying "They left this in whaaaaat" really grasp that it's not a simple hack-and-slash job you could do in Windows Movie Maker. A lot of this stuff is "woven" into manga material, and just out-and-out cutting what isn't in the manga would leave you with something incredibly sloppy.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:59 am

I understand that some padding as to stay so it doesn't look sloppy and episodes can actually end of a cliffhanger, but by the Cell arc it felt like they were keeping in too much padding.

I like SSJ2 Goku/Pure Buu too, and that's why I own the original Dragon Ball Z (hell, I own this arc twice!). Well let's see what Kai keeps and doesn't.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:31 am

They were keeping what they felt strongly tied into and improved what was already there, like Goku's hallucinations in his fight against Freeza and the hunt for first-form Cell, both of which I love. The manga really does feel kind of skeletal in comparison. They also keep things that can't be removed without reanimating huge sequences, like half the Cell games if they'd cut out Mr Satan's students.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:17 am

Fizzer wrote:They were keeping what they felt strongly tied into and improved what was already there, like Goku's hallucinations in his fight against Freeza and the hunt for first-form Cell, both of which I love. The manga really does feel kind of skeletal in comparison. They also keep things that can't be removed without reanimating huge sequences, like half the Cell games if they'd cut out Mr Satan's students.
Goku had hallucinations? Wut? Please refresh my memory.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:48 am

Goku has a hallucination of Vegeta. It's before he begins forming the Genkidama.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:09 am

ABED wrote:Goku has a hallucination of Vegeta. It's before he begins forming the Genkidama.
There's also the part where he's drowning and he sees everyone back on earth calling out to him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:24 am

Fizzer wrote:
ABED wrote:Goku has a hallucination of Vegeta. It's before he begins forming the Genkidama.
There's also the part where he's drowning and he sees everyone back on earth calling out to him.
I don't think that qualifies. That's more of a dream as Goku's unconscious.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 am

ABED wrote:
Fizzer wrote:
I don't think that qualifies. That's more of a dream as Goku's unconscious.
It still fits the realm of "things Goku sees in his mind that no one else can."
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:23 pm

So, people got to hear what the new opening is like out there according to the news, cause the group performed it live.
But apparently, recording was not allowed, so there's no actual way to hear Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go for now (just a few low-quality seconds you may hear during the filmed preview, which is better than nothing I guess).

It seems to be full of energy, with a rhythm and sound a bit similar to Hero (Song of Hope). At least, judging from that low-quality "filmed preview"...

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:03 pm

B wrote:AH, they spelled "Freeza" with an "I" again!
Does this happen often? I wonder if the relationship between FUNimation and Toei is growing so strong that they're actively working to standardize the material.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Hmm I wonder when Toei will officially release the new promo. Has there even been any commercials in Japan? We're only about two weeks away from the premiere...
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:52 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:
B wrote:AH, they spelled "Freeza" with an "I" again!
Does this happen often? I wonder if the relationship between FUNimation and Toei is growing so strong that they're actively working to standardize the material.
It's happened in a video game at least once. I think the given assumption is whoever is in charge of romaji just looked Freeza's name up on the English site.

And I hope that's not the case. The I spelling is terrible. :?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:20 pm

Didn't a recent English video game (or more) also use "Evil Buu" instead of "Super Buu"?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.