Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:44 am

Wow, that really is a huge shift in green. The whites of peoples are tinged that colour much like the Dragon Boxes' red. That's...a peculiar choice.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:42 am

It's more or less been confirmed that the episode count of the Buu arc has been halved. I'd like to know where the 66+/- came from.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:15 pm

ABED wrote:It's more or less been confirmed that the episode count of the Buu arc has been halved. I'd like to know where the 66+/- came from.
:lol: You're not the only one ! I don't think we have any official "evidence" about this but... I've read (Here ? Elsewhere ?) that Chris Sabat said that in a convention in Australia.
This is the only memory I have about this "statement".

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:36 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
ABED wrote:It's more or less been confirmed that the episode count of the Buu arc has been halved. I'd like to know where the 66+/- came from.
:lol: You're not the only one ! I don't think we have any official "evidence" about this but... I've read (Here ? Elsewhere ?) that Chris Sabat said that in a convention in Australia.
This is the only memory I have about this "statement".
It was being originally made for the over sea market so maby it was 66 then when they decided to show it in japan they cut it down more
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Does anyone know/remember how long it took for us to get an official episode count of the Cell arc with Kai? I wonder when we'll really know how many episodes there will be...
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:34 pm

Considering that Kai wasn't overly successful in Japan, I'd imagine they would want to keep the episode count low.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:38 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:Does anyone know/remember how long it took for us to get an official episode count of the Cell arc with Kai? I wonder when we'll really know how many episodes there will be...
They said they cut the 92 episodes from Z in half and it will run for 0ne year son it will be from 46-48 episodes

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:23 pm

They're gonna remove large parts of the Great Saiyaman aren't they?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Marco Polo wrote:They're gonna remove large parts of the Great Saiyaman are they
Videl learns to use ki in the third episode. The Tenka'ichi Budoukai begins in the fourth. Take that as you will.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:44 pm

ABED wrote:Considering that Kai wasn't overly successful in Japan, I'd imagine they would want to keep the episode count low.
the point of Kai was to get rid of filler, so by default the episode count is going to be low.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:53 pm

ABED wrote:Considering that Kai wasn't overly successful in Japan, I'd imagine they would want to keep the episode count low.
It's not related with the success of Kai, it has to do with the point of Dragon Ball Kai. The Saiyan/Freeza/Cell arcs are 199 episodes in DBZ, while they are 98 in DBKai, which are around half the episodes of DBZ. The Great Saiyaman arc has nothing to do with Dragon Ball Kai, because most of it is filler. The goal isn't to modernize DBZ, the goal is to modernize DBZ and cut as much filler as possible.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:05 pm

I've seen so much good fight filler kept. -sniffle- I'm so happy.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:14 pm

TheAldella wrote:I've seen so much good fight filler kept. -sniffle- I'm so happy.
If they got rid of it then they wouldn't have any fights at all cause in the manga they are very short

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Will FUNimation be allowed to dub the songs, or will they be kept solely in Japanese? I know they didn't dub every insert song, but it would seem odd if the opening/endings didn't get dubbed.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:18 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Will FUNimation be allowed to dub the songs, or will the be kept solely in Japanese? I know they didn't dub every insert song, but it would seem odd if the opening/endings didn't get dubbed.
I'm pretty sure they will given their habits of practice in recent years.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:01 pm

It's probably safe to assume that they probably will dub the songs, yeah. The only thing I could see preventing them is if some kind of music rights' issue comes up.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:06 pm

For the songs that are composed specifically for the franchise (like the new opening), I'm sure FUNi will be allowed to write and record English versions.

But the ending songs (which are apparently just going to be random pop/rock songs from random artists?) might be trickier. Some artists don't want their songs "dubbed." Remember the FLOW situation with the recent movie.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:16 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Will FUNimation be allowed to dub the songs, or will they be kept solely in Japanese? I know they didn't dub every insert song, but it would seem odd if the opening/endings didn't get dubbed.
This is a tricky question. Toei (specifically Avex) has been pretty weird with the domestic releases of their shows OP/EDs recently. They more or less requested that FUNimation stop dubbing the One Piece songs after Season 4, and the Toriko dub contained the original Japanese songs as well. The reason behind this was I guess to promote the original artists work, which is understandable. I do hope they are allowed to continue dubbing the songs with Kai though, but no one can really say at this point.

Fennekin
Not Banned

Post by Fennekin » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:31 pm

MagicBox wrote:Some artists don't want their songs "dubbed." Remember the FLOW situation with the recent movie.
What's the whole story about that? I heard bits and pieces of it but never the full story.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Dragon Ball GT also had seemingly random ending songs, and all of them were dubbed by Funimation. They even went out of their way to restore the animations for Endings 2-4. So, I think they probably will do them. Then again, I'm also curious about this FLOW situation.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."