Dragon Ball Z Kai finishes its first UK run

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Z Kai finishes its first UK run

Post by Weejus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:07 pm

Episode 98 has just finished airing on Kix as I write this, and tomorrow the show restarts from episode 1. So, for the British Kanzenshuu users that watched Kai on Kix, how do you think the channel handled the show, and what do you hope the future will bring for Kix and Dragon Ball? Hell, I still remember the night I found out that Kix had licensed the show, I was so hyped I didn't feel tired until 2am, and to think we've come full circle in less than a year.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai finishes its first UK run

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:14 pm

I think Kix handled things really well aside from the really long wait for the Android saga to air and the initial screw up were they showed the wrong episode. Like I've said all along I'm eternally grateful they opted to show the Funimation dub of Kai rather than Ocean. The Westwood dub really ruined the later half of DBZ for me on Toonami so I was really relieved that history wasn't repeating itself with cheap dubs. As far as I'm aware there wasn't any extra cuts from the Nicktoons US broadcast aside from the farmers death, the previews and the changes to the ending song. And some of the Kix promos for Kai were really cool and showed that they know the fanbase really well.

Wow a year already. Time sure does fly. As far as the future is concerned I can't see Kix leaving the Dragonball franchise at just Kai. Looking at their other shows they've shown multiple Batman, Xmen and Power Ranger series so hopefully the same happens with Dragonball. At this point they can either wait for the Buu saga of Kai or go with GT or DB. Hopefully they get around to showing them all. And fingers crossed they'll all be in Funimation dub this time around. Who knows maybe they'd even consider original Z if the other shows did well enough although that's unlikely with Kai being the same story.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:54 am

90sDBZ wrote:I think Kix handled things really well aside from the really long wait for the Android saga to air and the initial screw up were they showed the wrong episode. Like I've said all along I'm eternally grateful they opted to show the Funimation dub of Kai rather than Ocean. The Westwood dub really ruined the later half of DBZ for me on Toonami so I was really relieved that history wasn't repeating itself with cheap dubs. As far as I'm aware there wasn't any extra cuts from the Nicktoons US broadcast aside from the farmers death, the previews and the changes to the ending song. And some of the Kix promos for Kai were really cool and showed that they know the fanbase really well.

Wow a year already. Time sure does fly. As far as the future is concerned I can't see Kix leaving the Dragonball franchise at just Kai. Looking at their other shows they've shown multiple Batman, Xmen and Power Ranger series so hopefully the same happens with Dragonball. At this point they can either wait for the Buu saga of Kai or go with GT or DB. Hopefully they get around to showing them all. And fingers crossed they'll all be in Funimation dub this time around. Who knows maybe they'd even consider original Z if the other shows did well enough although that's unlikely with Kai being the same story.
I'd be surprised if they licensed so much Dragonball and put all of their eggs in one basket as so to speak. Let's be honest, it's not a massive channel, and it's only available to Sky customers - so their potential audience figures (read earning potential from advertisements) is inhibited from the get-go.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:21 am

Blade wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:I think Kix handled things really well aside from the really long wait for the Android saga to air and the initial screw up were they showed the wrong episode. Like I've said all along I'm eternally grateful they opted to show the Funimation dub of Kai rather than Ocean. The Westwood dub really ruined the later half of DBZ for me on Toonami so I was really relieved that history wasn't repeating itself with cheap dubs. As far as I'm aware there wasn't any extra cuts from the Nicktoons US broadcast aside from the farmers death, the previews and the changes to the ending song. And some of the Kix promos for Kai were really cool and showed that they know the fanbase really well.

I'd be surprised if they licensed so much Dragonball and put all of their eggs in one basket as so to speak. Let's be honest, it's not a massive channel, and it's only available to Sky customers - so their potential audience figures (read earning potential from advertisements) is inhibited from the get-go.
A year ago I would've said the same thing but Kix has gotten surprisingly better this past year. It's basically become Toonami reincarnated. These past couple of years they've shown Xmen Evo, Justice League, The Batman, Batman of the Future and Ultimate Muscle all of which were part of Toonami UK's old lineup. And although it isn't right in there with the main kids channels when you think about it neither was Toonami once it became its own channel. It was on 621 which isn't too far from were Kix is. Sure being limited to just Sky is a disadvantage but it's still a free channel. And with enough good shows on there perhaps there's a possibility it could even go HD and get made available through other services.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Blade wrote:I'd be surprised if they licensed so much Dragonball and put all of their eggs in one basket as so to speak. Let's be honest, it's not a massive channel, and it's only available to Sky customers - so their potential audience figures (read earning potential from advertisements) is inhibited from the get-go.
Oh I had thought it was available on Freeview then again I tried on 2-3 Freeview LED TVs and couldn't find the channel and now knowing that it's exclusively on Sky really makes it a whole lot worse.

With the internet and Freeview TV people just aren't bothered to pay a monthly fee for something they can get better through Netflix/LOVEFiLM/Hulu (With proxy) or some other VOD and for less.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:45 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Blade wrote:I'd be surprised if they licensed so much Dragonball and put all of their eggs in one basket as so to speak. Let's be honest, it's not a massive channel, and it's only available to Sky customers - so their potential audience figures (read earning potential from advertisements) is inhibited from the get-go.
Oh I had thought it was available on Freeview then again I tried on 2-3 Freeview LED TVs and couldn't find the channel and now knowing that it's exclusively on Sky really makes it a whole lot worse.

With the internet and Freeview TV people just aren't bothered to pay a monthly fee for something they can get better through Netflix/LOVEFiLM/Hulu (With proxy) or some other VOD and for less.
Kix is not "exclusively on Sky", it is available on Freesat, it is not a pay channel.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:08 am

It sucks living in the UK and not getting to watch it on TV. Maybe we'll see it on another channel someday!

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:20 am

The Time Traveller wrote:It sucks living in the UK and not getting to watch it on TV. Maybe we'll see it on another channel someday!
I wholeheartedly agree! Despite having the BluRays that I can watch any time, I feel like I'm missing out. The actual broadcast holds a strange significance for me, but I guess that's largely owing to the nostalgia of watching the show during it's original UK broadcast and subsequent repeats on Cartoon Network/CNX/Toonami.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:45 am

I still only have parts 1-3, maybe I should have bought the other parts when they were easier to find, or when they were cheaper.

Guess I'll just get season 2 onwards! Anyone know if Saiyan Blood is still in the sets with revised music?

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:08 pm

I've recorded it, but only watched the first few, Raditz is gone that's about it, I think it's great it brings me back to the ocean days when beer was water.
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)