Saiyan section of Kai omitting manga pages?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Saiyan section of Kai omitting manga pages?

Post by Storm » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:48 am

I've heard before that the Saiyan arc in Kai has such a fast pace, sometimes parts of the actual manga are left out. Despite rereading the manga and rewatching Kai this year, I can't personally recall any such examples. So I guess the purpose of this thread is, a) making sure this actually happened, and b) if people can inform me of what was left out, specifically.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Saiyan section of Kai omitting manga pages?

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:56 am

Only examples I know off the top of my head are when Raditz realizes his scouter was correct about Gohan, a line spoken by Goku when Vegeta boats about his true power ("Show me" or something), and one of Vegeta's lines was moved after he blasts Goku's shirt off. I can't remember the specific details of the latter, but I think his line about making it easy to dodge was spoken right after Goku dodges it in Kai, but in the manga and Z it was after they both landed.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Both Kai and the original anime omit the part where Vegeta explains why Gohan has so much hidden potential while him and Nappa are on there way to Earth.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:08 pm

They omitted the scene where Krillin says that Piccolo is going to eat Gohan and Piccolo denies it.

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:19 pm

I believe they also ommitted the part where Goku is reminding Krilling and Roshi that they already died and can't be wished back. This is just after Raditz leaves and before Piccolo reveals himself.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:14 pm

kei17 wrote:They omitted the scene where Krillin says that Piccolo is going to eat Gohan and Piccolo denies it.
Oh man, I forgot about that, and that was a great scene too. :lol:

I also just remembered right after Piccolo takes his weighted cape and turban off, there's a panel in the manga showing him with his gear off completely. This was a camera pan in Z, but the whole shot was removed from Kai. I know this because I was trying to make Kai versions of the pans of Goku and Piccolo with their weights removed. :(
thatdbzguy wrote:Both Kai and the original anime omit the part where Vegeta explains why Gohan has so much hidden potential while him and Nappa are on there way to Earth.
I thought Z had that dialog about half breeds being stronger right as they were getting into their ships, which was removed completely from Kai. I don't have the manga of that section, so I might be misunderstanding you.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:12 am

Isn't that page with Vegeta talking about the hybrids.. doesn't he call them something called "Super Saiyans?"

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:19 am

JamesOwnz wrote:Isn't that page with Vegeta talking about the hybrids.. doesn't he call them something called "Super Saiyans?"
I think it was Nappa that suggested breeding with humans to create them... but yes. That term was used.

Saago
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Saago » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:45 am

During the fight with Raditz, when Goku is inmovilizing Raditz and Piccolo is preparing the final attack, didn't they also omit the short dialogue in which Piccolo asks Goku why he doesn't grab Raditz's tail again, and Goku says that there's no point because Raditz can cut his own tail? I don't know why they removed that, without that line it doesn't make much sense that Goku had just grabbed the tail five minutes before yet doesn't even consider doing the same for the makankosappo. Then again, if he already knew that what was the point of grabbing it in the first place... Perhaps that's the reason they omitted it.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:35 pm

kei17 wrote:They omitted the scene where Krillin says that Piccolo is going to eat Gohan and Piccolo denies it.
I'm actually quite surprised at how much manga was omitted during the Saiyan arc. Very interesting to see concrete examples of this happening too, and yes that scene with Krillin and Piccolo is priceless and should have managed to stay in somehow!
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:52 pm

I remember:
- Radditz asking to himself, if Kakarotto had forgotten his Saiyan pride
- Kuririn get up from Radditz attack, and then warning Goku about Radditz strength
- Radditz line, about how it is impossible for child, to have 710 BP
If i remember correctly, Kai Saiyan Saga editor was so bad, the fired him during Goku vs Vegeta fight (Worst part, was that random shot, with Chi-Chi lying on floor, she fainted in Z, but they cut that from Kai, but left shot of her lying on floor)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015