What do you look foward to the most from the Buu Arc of Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: What do you look foward to the most from the Buu Arc of

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:33 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing how Schemmel handles his screams as SSJ3 Goku. He did a great job in the Z dub and I'm eager to see how great he'll be in the Kai dub for that scene.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:56 am

WittyUsername wrote:I'm looking forward to hearing how Schemmel handles his screams as SSJ3 Goku. He did a great job in the Z dub and I'm eager to see how great he'll be in the Kai dub for that scene.
Hopefully he didn't pass out during recording this time.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:59 am

Blade wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I'm looking forward to hearing how Schemmel handles his screams as SSJ3 Goku. He did a great job in the Z dub and I'm eager to see how great he'll be in the Kai dub for that scene.
He never passed out during SSJ3, it was during GT during SSJ4.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:46 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Blade wrote:
He never passed out during SSJ3, it was during GT during SSJ4.
I thought I remembered him talking about passing out during SSJ3, but he confirmed it was SSJ4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk2Ici4gG1Q

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
I thought I remembered him talking about passing out during SSJ3, but he confirmed it was SSJ4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk2Ici4gG1Q
My mistake! I thought it was the other way around :oops:
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:56 pm

But... He didn't scream during the SSJ4 transformation did he?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Fizzer wrote:But... He didn't scream during the SSJ4 transformation did he?
Actually, I believe he was doing a Kamehameha or something when it happened.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Fizzer wrote:But... He didn't scream during the SSJ4 transformation did he?
Actually, I believe he was doing a Kamehameha or something when it happened.
Do any of us actually know?! I thought it was during a video game session!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Oh, Madman. Never stop possibly unwittingly leaking news. :P

I could have sworn I had answered here...but I must have in another thread at some point or something. What I'm most looking forward to is a mix of things really. I want to hear what the new opening/ending will sound like, plus what kind of animation they'll have. I can't wait to hear what the BGM is going to be like now, and I'm actually going to assume that, barring movies maybe, it'll be our new stand-by composer for the series. I think what I'm looking forward to the most though is hearing what returning voice actors will sound like with so much more work under their belts nowadays, as well as what any replacement actors will sound like. I'm still betting anything that we'll have a new Babidi and Dabura at least, though I hope I'm wrong with Babidi.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:57 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Oh, Madman. Never stop possibly unwittingly leaking news. :P

I could have sworn I had answered here...but I must have in another thread at some point or something. What I'm most looking forward to is a mix of things really. I want to hear what the new opening/ending will sound like, plus what kind of animation they'll have. I can't wait to hear what the BGM is going to be like now, and I'm actually going to assume that, barring movies maybe, it'll be our new stand-by composer for the series. I think what I'm looking forward to the most though is hearing what returning voice actors will sound like with so much more work under their belts nowadays, as well as what any replacement actors will sound like. I'm still betting anything that we'll have a new Babidi and Dabura at least, though I hope I'm wrong with Babidi.
I think Duncan Brannan is still around at Funimation so they might not replace him. I really hope they don't replace him in any case because I think he's one of the few times where the dub voice is actually better than the original voice.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:06 pm

He is still around, but it seems like in all the recent video games they've been using a different actor for the part. Well, recent-ish. Seem to recall Tenkaichi 3 and Shin Budokai 2 both used Bill Townsley for the part. Has Brannan played him in any other video games recently?

...Then again, as far as I know they've continued to drag Rick Robertson back in for Dabura in games too, so who knows. But yeah, while I'd probably be fine with a new Dabura (don't dislike Robertson's, but it's not a dealbreaker either), I really love Brannan's Babidi.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:26 pm

I'm guessing that Brannan simply wasn't available to voice Babidi in those games since I can't think of any genuine reason why they would recast him.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Sme thing could happen with Brannan that happened with Clarke.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Very true. The only reason I bring those two up at all though is that they're the ones I view as most likely to possibly be re-cast for the show and moving forward, more likely than any other character coming into Kai anyway.
Twitter

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:40 pm

To see if Kai even attempts to make sense of the many contradictions in the anime version of the Buu arc, especially the crap about Pure Buu being the strongest Buu. Also, to see Super Buu, Dabra, and Babidi again. I always liked the English voices for those three.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:03 am

I like Babidi's and Dabura's voices, but Super Buu, Majin Buu, and Trunks need to be recast. Arguably, Goten needs to as well, or at least tone down the rasp.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:11 am

ABED wrote:I like Babidi's and Dabura's voices, but Super Buu, Majin Buu, and Trunks need to be recast. Arguably, Goten needs to as well, or at least tone down the rasp.
Actually, Goten already got rid of the rasp if you look at the newer DBZ games.

EDIT: Here's a video, but be warned, a lot of quotes are repeated in the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWylZzgJCrw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gmJ_Pr1RLY
Last edited by Fionordequester on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:12 am

Apparently Robertson was able to reprise his role as Dabura for Battle of Z so they probably won't recast him. At this point, it doesn't seem like any of the Buu saga characters will be recast, which is fine by me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:18 am

I love Robertson's voice. He's amazing as Yomi in Yu Yu Hakusho. There are some voices I can listen to all the time, his is one of them.
Actually, Goten already got rid of the rasp if you look at the newer DBZ games.
Good to know, thanks.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:25 am

ABED wrote:I like Babidi's and Dabura's voices, but Super Buu, Majin Buu, and Trunks need to be recast. Arguably, Goten needs to as well, or at least tone down the rasp.
Don't care about Trunks and fatso, but I loved whoever did Super Buu. He must stay.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.