What do you look foward to the most from the Buu Arc of Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What do you look foward to the most from the Buu Arc of

Post by TheAldella » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:14 pm

B wrote:
TheAldella wrote:I like the idea of shutting down people who imagine Colleen as adult Gohan. -shudders-
I like the idea that no matter where Kyle Hebert's Gohan shows up, a version with Masako Nozawa will still be a click away.
Good man.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Morgil

Post by Morgil » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:48 am

One thing i'm curious if they'll still do, is if Funi will still be dubbing over the opening and closing songs. I like hearing the songs in English, cuz then i can sing along. Plus, Funi usually does a pretty good job with them. However, about a third of the way into Kai, they stopped dubbing insert songs, plus recently over with the dub of One Piece, they stopped dubbing opening and closing songs alltogether (apparently dub to some scuffle with Japanese music companies). I really hope this does not carry over to Buu Kai. Whether they continue with Dragon Soul or do a new song, i wanna still keep English versions of it, and preferably have Vic Mignognia sing it.
[url]http://forums.chozosanctuary.com/[/url]

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:46 am

Well I believe they stopped dubbing insert songs since they were in a rush to get the episodes to air on Nicktoons. If the FUNi voice actors have said is true, about recording since last year, then they have/had plenty of time to dub insert songs.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:10 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I'm interested in seeing a rather unique precedent in the anime industry: an instance where the dub actually debuts before the original version.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think that has happened before. It has some interesting implications...and I'm interested to see how that plays out.
Sonic X episode 53+. French dub was the first to debut, then English, then most other international languages... The Japanese audio first came out on a Chinese VCD, and only many years later did it get a release in Japan on a VOD service.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Codarik wrote:Well I believe they stopped dubbing insert songs since they were in a rush to get the episodes to air on Nicktoons. If the FUNi voice actors have said is true, about recording since last year, then they have/had plenty of time to dub insert songs.
Maybe it would't had sounded right? Perhaps they wanted it to remain "Cool". Not to mention most insert songs in Kai had English in them.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Well, I WAS looking forward to the English dub, but I believe it was confirmed that it's not happening. Funimation not only hasn't recorded anything, but they have no plans to do so. They really picked the worst time to let their cash cow slip. Let's hope it at least gets released subbed here or something like that. The new music would be cool, too. (I kinda wish they would go back and rescore those previous episodes, but I know there's no point in doing that).
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Well, I WAS looking forward to the English dub, but I believe it was confirmed that it's not happening. Funimation not only hasn't recorded anything, but they have no plans to do so. They really picked the worst time to let their cash cow slip. Let's hope it at least gets released subbed here or something like that.
It IS happening. It was just Sabat's NDA talk, and some VAs like Sean Schemmel have talked about how they're actually dubbing the Buu arc. Anyway, in the first place, FUNi must be deeply involved in the production of Buu arc Kai itself because I doubt that Toei would decide to produce a new TV series without any actual international offers when there is no plan of airing in Japan (it originally wasn't supposed to air in Japan), and FUNi is the most likely to have made the offer to or funded Toei.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:53 am

kei17 wrote:FUNi is the most likely to have made the offer to or funded Toei.
It would be very interesting if Funimation were credited as being a production partner, or co-producer.

And potentially tantelising, too, as it opens the door to the possibility of future collaborations of this nature, whereby overseas money could have a hand in more Dragonball being produced - something which Toei have been reticent about in the past.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Blu-ray_Mistress
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Blu-ray_Mistress » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:57 am

What do I look forward to the most? That would have to be the Great Saiyaman Saga, in the manga that arc was NOT very long at all and it will be interesting to see how they trim it down.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:15 pm

I guess mainly the new dub and the possibility of a whole new score that could make Kai feel more fresh and new.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:21 pm

I look forward to listening to the new score with those scenes and memorable moments, and see if they make them even more legendary.
Possibly insert songs too because I'm curious about which moments they would consider as fitting for an insert song and what it would sound like.

Are there specific things you guys surely expect presentation-wise? (openings/endings/eyecatches)
On my part, I believe:
- Kaio Shin and Kibito will be shown exactly like they appear on the first panel of the manga and Kanzenban cover, either in the opening or (more likely) in an eyecatch.
- Great Saiyaman will obviously be featured in the opening (that one's not too risky to guess), but much less than in We Gotta Power back then.
- Majin Vegeta when he first looks up to the camera and shows the "M" on his forehear will be featured in the opening or (more likely) in an eyecatch.
- Maybe not for the first opening, but at one moment or another, Super Saiyan 3 Goku will end up being the opening's climax (perhaps right before the final picture, like "Super Saiyan Goku VS Freezer" or "the Kame Hame Ha VS the Garlic Ho" back then... or maybe even as the final picture like Goku in his teleportation stance back then)

Something that has very few chances of happening but might still be a possibility (that I've mentionned before):
- Goku and Vegeta's opening battle animation being exactly the same than since the beginning of Kai (with exactly the same moves and camera angles), except they are now Super Saiyan 2 Goku VS Majin Vegeta.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:54 pm

kei17 wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:Well, I WAS looking forward to the English dub, but I believe it was confirmed that it's not happening. Funimation not only hasn't recorded anything, but they have no plans to do so. They really picked the worst time to let their cash cow slip. Let's hope it at least gets released subbed here or something like that.
It IS happening. It was just Sabat's NDA talk, and some VAs like Sean Schemmel have talked about how they're actually dubbing the Buu arc. Anyway, in the first place, FUNi must be deeply involved in the production of Buu arc Kai itself because I doubt that Toei would decide to produce a new TV series without any actual international offers when there is no plan of airing in Japan (it originally wasn't supposed to air in Japan), and FUNi is the most likely to have made the offer to or funded Toei.
Hmm, that's really good to know. Everything else adds up and makes sense, just Sabat and Funimation's comments screw everything up. I guess I'll take your word for it, since you're pretty knowledgeable about these things.

I'm looking forward to the new score, definitely. Hearing something fresh and new would be nice (although I did like the Kikuchi stuff, too, even though it was whack, I kind of looked at M1525 as being the main theme or something :lol: ).
Is it Sumitomo that's doing it? I'd imagine he's the most logical choice, since they have a whole movie's worth of BGMs to recycle as well.

Also, I'm curious as to how Majin Buu will sound. Bring back Josh Martin and Justin Cook? Or go another direction entirely? (I'm probably in the minority, but I actually liked Super Buu's Remastered filter-less voice. It sounded natural, cold, and like Raditz. Ha, Cook played the first and last villain in the Z portion :D )
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
kei17 wrote:
Hmm, that's really good to know. Everything else adds up and makes sense, just Sabat and Funimation's comments screw everything up. I guess I'll take your word for it, since you're pretty knowledgeable about these things.

I'm looking forward to the new score, definitely. Hearing something fresh and new would be nice (although I did like the Kikuchi stuff, too, even though it was whack, I kind of looked at M1525 as being the main theme or something :lol: ).
Is it Sumitomo that's doing it? I'd imagine he's the most logical choice, since they have a whole movie's worth of BGMs to recycle as well.

Also, I'm curious as to how Majin Buu will sound. Bring back Josh Martin and Justin Cook? Or go another direction entirely? (I'm probably in the minority, but I actually liked Super Buu's Remastered filter-less voice. It sounded natural, cold, and like Raditz. Ha, Cook played the first and last villain in the Z portion :D )
Considering that Josh Martin and Justin Cook have reprised their roles for the video games, it's almost guaranteed that they will reprise their respective roles as Fat Buu, Kid Buu, and Super Buu.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 pm

I honestly want to see what scenes that are going to re-draw. I wonder if SSJ3 Goku is going to get re-drawn AFTER he finish transforming.

By Re-draw I mean tracing.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:12 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:I wonder if SSJ3 Goku is going to get re-drawn AFTER he finish transforming.
Was there something wrong with that moment? (didn't see it, or long ago)

There are scenes that you can expect to be redrawn based on what we know (color mistakes, flashy epilepsy-inducing effects, shot that wouldn't fit a cropped widescreen ratio...). But for others, that's kind of random - from our external-to-the-staff point of view anyway (though sometimes, when it's not one of the reasons we know and we can't figure out why that specific shot was remade when nothing was changed, it is supposedly to correct a severely damaged picture, but even that is just pure hypothesis).

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:54 pm

I really want to see how the Buu Arc will be without no filler. Unlike most people, I did like the Great Saiyanman saga and it was actually entertaining. More Gohan is always awesome for me. I would want to see if I skips by a breeze
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:38 am

For the Great Saiyaman Saga, the better FUNimation voice acting (specifically for Videl)

For the World Tournament Saga, the more manga-centric FUNimation script (especially the absence of "Sorry it didn't hit you, that is")

From the Majin Buu Saga to Buu's disintegration in the Kid Buu Saga, the faster pace
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:49 pm

I really want to see how they're going to handle Vegetto vs Buu, and Goku vs Kid Buu.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:05 pm

I'd like to hear Kyle Hubert with better lines, his Gohan in the old dub was awfully flat at times. His yells arent as intense as Seans. I hope he improved.

Then there's the Chopping up of Gotenks vs Buu. 90% of it feels like Filler.....drags on so much.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:25 pm

Every character with better lines and delivery for the most part. And especially... MAJIN VEGETA of course.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92