Will you buy the Majin Boo arc when it's released on BD/DVD?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Will you buy the Majin Boo arc when it's released on BD/

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:53 pm

If we don't get the Buu Arc in 4:3, then I won't bother buying Kai at all. Inconsistencies like that irritate me a lot more than they should.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:08 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:If we don't get the Buu Arc in 4:3, then I won't bother buying Kai at all. Inconsistencies like that irritate me a lot more than they should.
That's only 1 out of 5 Inconsistencies that this series has went through :

1- music changes 3 times
2- diffrent remaster from the first 3 arcs
3- lower quality opening and ending videos compared to the first 3 arcs
4- lower quality eyecatchers compared to the first 3 arcs
5- and now this arc could be released in 16:9 compared to the other arc's 4:3 which i hope isn't the case

But still at least they cut out the filler which is more then worth the buy in my opinion
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:25 pm

sintzu wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:If we don't get the Buu Arc in 4:3, then I won't bother buying Kai at all. Inconsistencies like that irritate me a lot more than they should.

1- music changes 3 times
5- and now this arc could be released in 16:9 compared to the other arc's 4:3 which i hope isn't the case

But still at least they cut out the filler which is more then worth the buy in my opinion
I don't know about that...
There's only so much they can cut with 69 Episodes in the fray.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:36 pm

sintzu wrote:

1- music changes 3 times

The music is what irks me the most because while it sounds like VGM, something I enjoy listening to, it just doesn't fit with the current series I don't know what kind of Quality Control there's going at Toei Animation but this just isn't good.

Toei should've hired Hiroshi Takaki (I think it's the composer name who produced the tunes for the DB:UB animated cutscenes) his soundtrack for it was cinematic, modern and wonderful. Something I can't say about this one.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:48 pm

sintzu wrote:That's only 1 out of 5 Inconsistencies that this series has went through :

1- music changes 3 times

I'm aware. Opening, ending and eyecatch art being sub par isn't a big deal, as some of the episode content in the series itself is still going to be bad too. So only 1, 2 and 5 are important to me for the sake of actual consistency. And of those, only 5 is an actual deal breaker when it comes to a purchase. As it would be the most jarring switch during viewing IMO.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:25 pm

sintzu wrote:

1- music changes 3 times

Well, my opinion on those:
1. If we're going to split hairs, it actually changes twice and that depends on which version you own. I plan on getting the Season Sets from the start, so the music would only change once for me and others who have those. Plus, at least it's not in the middle of the Ginyu Force stuff and actually between arcs. Heck, Buu Arc is different enough to be its own series in my opinion.
2. Not sure what you mean here, but isn't Kai already kind of a mess?
3. Not sure what to say, as I haven't seen either outside YouTube.
4. Ditto.
5. As a proud owner of those Orange Bricks everybody hates, I can fully state that this doesn't matter one bit to me. I can see how this would bother others, though.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:15 pm

God fucking dammit. 16:9 release only? Are you fucking kidding me?

I'm done, I'm so fucking done. All this brother wanted to do is watch his favorite cartoon is the aspect ratio it was supposed to be in. Why is this so hard?

It just blows my mind how little of a fuck they give about one of their most important, profitable, and influential series of all time. Kai has always been pretty half-assed but stuff like this just blows my mind.

Fuck Toei. They can kiss my green-tinted ass.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:31 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:I have all of Kai on Blu-Ray so far; I suppose Toei or FUNimation would really have to screw something up majorly with the video/audio/dubbing to prevent me from picking it up [The Buu Saga].
Kanzenshuu wrote:Also departing from the previous releases, with the Blu-rays being in a 4:3 fullscreen aspect ratio and DVDs in a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio, both the Blu-ray and DVD box sets for the Majin Buu arc are listed in widescreen formats only. As of right now, it appears that a fullscreen version will not available, and in all likelihood was never produced to begin with. We’ll be sure to keep you posted if this detail happens to change.
Wow... Strike #1, Toei.

Even though it's not looking very likely, I suppose the best we can hope for is that there's a 4:3 version that'll end up distributed to foreign markets.

Oh, Kai. You can't even stay consistent in your country of origin.
Last edited by theoriginalbilis on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Welp, this is just the icing on the cake for me. I am absolutely finished with Kai. I'm glad I never bothered to start buying it. It's a shame really. If Kai had been a full remake, and Yamamoto was able to score the entire series, from start to finish, we would have had the definitive version of the show, and it would've been absolutely fantastic. Time to wait 10 years or so for the next, hopefully proper remake to roll around.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:39 pm

I really, really, really don't enjoy Kai, but I've given it quite a bit of my money. I ran out and got the first four of FUNi's "part" sets once the whole Yamamoto incident went down, and I purchased the blu-ray "season" sets (once they went on sale) because I wanted to legally own the new bits of animation (openings, endings, eyecatches). Oh, and it's nice to have Japanese DBZ in stereo, I guess.

It's for those reasons (and because I'm a completist) that I'll still be buying "The Final Chapters"** once it hits American shelves. But man, poor production values, poor restoration techniques, and now a poor, cropped home video release? Toei's doing their darnedest to make sure I completely hate myself for giving them my money. They already don't deserve it; they don't need to keep finding new ways to make me feel ripped off. If I were a better/smarter person, I'd take the high road and just ignore this whole show. But hey, it's the internet. It's more fun to just go along with the ride and complain. :thumbup:

**I hate these subtitles. The fandom already has enough pointless things like this to keep track of. The Japanese are just as stupid as Europeans, who are just as stupid as Americans, etc. We're all equally stupid. If they can handle having one name for one show, so can we.
Last edited by MagicBox on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:40 pm

I plan to get a full box set when it happens. So yes for me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:06 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:I have all of Kai on Blu-Ray so far; I suppose Toei or FUNimation would really have to screw something up majorly with the video/audio/dubbing to prevent me from picking it up [The Buu Saga].
Kanzenshuu wrote:Also departing from the previous releases, with the Blu-rays being in a 4:3 fullscreen aspect ratio and DVDs in a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio, both the Blu-ray and DVD box sets for the Majin Buu arc are listed in widescreen formats only. As of right now, it appears that a fullscreen version will not available, and in all likelihood was never produced to begin with. We’ll be sure to keep you posted if this detail happens to change.
Wow... Strike #1, Toei.

Even though it's not looking very likely, I suppose the best we can hope for is that there's a 4:3 version that'll end up distributed to foreign markets.

Oh, Kai. You can't even stay consistent in your country of origin.
Sure they are, their dvds were in wide screen. TV airings always have been as well.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:12 am

After seeing the first 4 episodes.. it's got me wondering if I will actually buy the Blu-Ray release now. The soundtrack is a big disappointment, and the whole colour scheme has changed big time.

The completest side of me wants to buy it so Kai is a full set and looks good on the shelf, but the other sane half of me says it's a waste of money.

I really like the Buu saga, and I think i'd much rather watch the whole Z version again instead.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 am

Even with all the bad things I'm hearing about the footage (though that could be fixed yet I suppose), and the music (having personally heard that 'Goku comes back' moment...ugh...), and even the fact that it'll likely be widescreen suddenly while the rest of our Kai releases here were fullscreen...I'll still end up buying it, completionist that I am. Besides, I really want to hear how the dub sounds this time around.

That said, I still don't have the Season Four set for Kai, so I'm behind anyway.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:54 pm

Sure will, and when the full arc releases I will buy the whole show beginning to end.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu May 01, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm not going to blame FUNimation if they don't fix the green tint, as it was Toei's error to begin with, but their fixing it (or their receiving of better quality footage) will be a factor for me. I'm all for them trying to fix it, especially considering how simple an operation it seems to be based on what I've seen some fans do.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:24 pm

I'll definitely be picking it up for three reasons:
1. Completion
2. Improved pacing
3. New dub

The first reason speaks for itself. I'm too much of a completionist to let my Kai collection sit unfinished on my shelf. Even if I wasn't, the other two reasons give me, personally, more than enough incentive to pick it up, even with all of the inconsistencies and shortcomings.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:19 pm

Will any of you guys be picking up seasons 7,8, and 9 on blu ray if the boo saga of kai starts having more problems.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat May 24, 2014 7:10 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Will any of you guys be picking up seasons 7,8, and 9 on blu ray if the boo saga of kai starts having more problems.
More problems? What problems are you referring to?
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Mewzard wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Will any of you guys be picking up seasons 7,8, and 9 on blu ray if the boo saga of kai starts having more problems.
More problems? What problems are you referring to?
A lot of people on here are complaining about the music, the picture quality, and the editing.